Joshua being paid £66m for rematch

Don't forget too that Joshua and Ruiz aren't bound by some retarded, communist Reebok slave deal so they'll add even more money to their purses with endorsements and sponsorship.

I get a kick out of chuds saying that boxing is dead. For a dead sport, it sure pays well when you get on top.

To be fair, while Wilder deserves it, even on PPV with a bigger revenue return, 7 million against Whyte probably loses money on a whole or breaks even at best. But it’s the long game that matters in that deal

So how do you explain that Ruiz gets merely 13m compared to Joshua's 66m? Ruiz is the champion here. But the share is 80% to 20% in Joshua's favor.

Sorry, but certain heavyweights like Wilder and Fury rightfully shit on Eddie Hearn... They want even money, and they deserve it as far as I'm concerned.

So how do you explain that Ruiz gets merely 13m compared to Joshua's 66m? Ruiz is the champion here. But the share is 80% to 20% in Joshua's favor.

Sorry, but certain heavyweights like Wilder and Fury rightfully shit on Eddie Hearn... They want even money, and they deserve it as far as I'm concerned.

Same reason Brad Pitt gets paid more than Mark Rylance.

Has nothing to do with “deserves”.

So, let me get this straight. Since the fight in in Saudi Arabia:

Joshua won't get taxed.
Ruiz will get taxed.

You could say that about fighting in America if you were of a certain political persuasion. Or are you saying that Wilder wouldn't fight in Saudi if he was offered 60 million? Actually Wilder would probably want to know how much the other guy was getting paid first before turning down his biggest ever payday. That's a man of principle right there!

Yes, you could extrapolate the reasons for not competing to all countries if you wanted to. Even with work I've been with companies people could find something wrong with.

Wilder probably would compare his purse with what the other guy is getting. Understandable to an extent as he would want his full worth.

Fury seems to be the only one with critical thinking. Wilder wouldn't care and would just yell Bomb Squad when he doesn't know what to say. AJ in front of the camera stiffens up and goes into media training mode. I have this image of his PR guys telling him what to say while Eddie nervously looks on.

As long as it's better money than he's made before I don't see why he'd care, would he make 13m against anyone else?

I am sure the re-match split was in the initial contract and Ruiz was not going to turn that down whatever it was as he (unlike wilder) knew what would happen if he backed himself to win the belts. After this fight Ruiz net worth will prob be higher than Wilder.....Wilder really needs some better advisors.

Joshua won't get taxed.
Ruiz will get taxed.

Income tax is paid to residence country. Since they aren't living in Saudi more than 183 days in 365 days period....
Most likely both will pay personal income tax to their countries.
Where Ruiz is living? US or Mexico?

Don't forget too that Joshua and Ruiz aren't bound by some retarded, communist Reebok slave deal so they'll add even more money to their purses with endorsements and sponsorship.

I get a kick out of chuds saying that boxing is dead. For a dead sport, it sure pays well when you get on top.

They are just bad at promoting fights.

Canelo vs Kov was one of the worst promoted fights but trended much higher than UFC. The articles about Canelo alone doubled over the UFC event that weekend.

However: King Conor is back, so RIP boxing.

why do you think Joshua gets paid so much? Wilder doesn’t have the fan base as Joshua mainly because he spent almost all of his career fighting unworthy opponents. Has had the chance to take up real challenges, maybe picked up some other belts he’s be earning that money. But he let someone else do this instead. And if 40m a fight won’t get him in the ring with Joshua, nothing will

why do you think Joshua gets paid so much? Wilder doesn’t have the fan base as Joshua mainly because he spent almost all of his career fighting unworthy opponents. Has had the chance to take up real challenges, maybe picked up some other belts he’s be earning that money. But he let someone else do this instead. And if 40m a fight won’t get him in the ring with Joshua, nothing will

Joshua has been groomed to be the poster-boy of boxing; undefeated, charming, polite, confident yet seemingly humble, good looking, built like a statue, olympian, rags to riches story, etc.

He has very very broad appeal and commercial potential ... many find Wilder obnoxious with the whole bomb squad shtick and cringe statements, whilst Fury is engaging but not so marketable.

That’s why the Ruiz defeat was such s big shock/blow ... and the rematch is a must win situation if that image is to continue.

Last edited:

Because Joshua had that in his contract??? DAZN pays a certain percentage to him? Ruiz didn’t. Ruiz had a contracted rematch he had to give Joshua and his cut only went so much higher based off it? If Ruiz didn’t oblige the rematch he would’ve been on the shelf for years in lawsuits

Joshua has been groomed to be the poster-boy of boxing; undefeated, charming, polite, confident yet seemingly humble, good looking, built like a statue, olympian, rags to riches story, etc.

He has very very broad appeal and commercial potential ... many find Wilder obnoxious with the whole bomb squad shtick and cringe statements, whilst Fury is engaging but not so marketable.

That’s why the Ruiz defeat was such s big shock/blow ... and the rematch is a must win situation if that image is to continue.

i agree with that. But the main reason for his fan base is due to picking up the belts and defending against top ranked fighters. This is something that neither wilder or fury have done.

Wilder has fought nobodies up to Ortiz. Ortiz didn’t deserve a rematch yet he chose him over worthy opponents like Whyte. only his fans really support re running the fight against an over 40 that you knocked out only last year. Fury only seems to step up the competition when it’s a title fight.
Joshua fought wlad for a unified title in under 20 fights. Fought Dillian Whyte at 15 fights. Took the other belts and beat mandatory ranked challengers. That is the main reason for his stature and fan base. It’s why he’s being paid a kings ransom as a challenger.
Wilder only has himself to blame. Fury is already earning Joshua money with his 100m 3 fight deal

Back