Joshua being paid £66m for rematch

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by treelo, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:26 AM.

1. IGotAHugePeckah

IGotAHugePeckah Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Don't forget too that Joshua and Ruiz aren't bound by some retarded, communist Reebok slave deal so they'll add even more money to their purses with endorsements and sponsorship.

I get a kick out of chuds saying that boxing is dead. For a dead sport, it sure pays well when you get on top.

2. defjaam

defjaam Beltless

So how do you explain that Ruiz gets merely 13m compared to Joshua's 66m? Ruiz is the champion here. But the share is 80% to 20% in Joshua's favor.

Sorry, but certain heavyweights like Wilder and Fury rightfully shit on Eddie Hearn... They want even money, and they deserve it as far as I'm concerned.

City_Lights likes this.
  3. stuff jones

stuff jones Brown Belt

So basically you've got nothing.

4. LEWIS540

LEWIS540 .

Same reason Brad Pitt gets paid more than Mark Rylance.

Has nothing to do with “deserves”.

xaphoon, Kevza and GoldenAzazel like this.
  5. Fluffernutter

Fluffernutter Silver Belt

So, let me get this straight. Since the fight in in Saudi Arabia:

Joshua won't get taxed.
    Ruiz will get taxed.

6. defjaam

defjaam Beltless

Please just enter the door that says "Fuck off".

7. LEWIS540

LEWIS540 .

You’ve been educated by a superior man, mong.

Learn from it.

You’re welcome.

8. droolingliver

droolingliver Blue Belt

Yes, you could extrapolate the reasons for not competing to all countries if you wanted to. Even with work I've been with companies people could find something wrong with.

Wilder probably would compare his purse with what the other guy is getting. Understandable to an extent as he would want his full worth.

Fury seems to be the only one with critical thinking. Wilder wouldn't care and would just yell Bomb Squad when he doesn't know what to say. AJ in front of the camera stiffens up and goes into media training mode. I have this image of his PR guys telling him what to say while Eddie nervously looks on.

9. Hellowhosthat

Hellowhosthat Purple Belt

As long as it's better money than he's made before I don't see why he'd care, would he make 13m against anyone else?

10. RDL81

RDL81 Green Belt

I am sure the re-match split was in the initial contract and Ruiz was not going to turn that down whatever it was as he (unlike wilder) knew what would happen if he backed himself to win the belts. After this fight Ruiz net worth will prob be higher than Wilder.....Wilder really needs some better advisors.

GoldenAzazel and piropiro like this.
  11. SandisLL

SandisLL Green Belt

Income tax is paid to residence country. Since they aren't living in Saudi more than 183 days in 365 days period....
    Most likely both will pay personal income tax to their countries.
    Where Ruiz is living? US or Mexico?

12. TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle

TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle Purple Belt

Trust me, I really dont want to be American.

aries, GoldenAzazel and Jonny Ninja like this.
  13. ConorFacts

ConorFacts Yellow Belt

They are just bad at promoting fights.

Canelo vs Kov was one of the worst promoted fights but trended much higher than UFC. The articles about Canelo alone doubled over the UFC event that weekend.

However: King Conor is back, so RIP boxing.

14. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Black Belt

why do you think Joshua gets paid so much? Wilder doesn’t have the fan base as Joshua mainly because he spent almost all of his career fighting unworthy opponents. Has had the chance to take up real challenges, maybe picked up some other belts he’s be earning that money. But he let someone else do this instead. And if 40m a fight won’t get him in the ring with Joshua, nothing will

xaphoon and GoldenAzazel like this.
  15. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Black Belt

I can think of at least half a dozen countries in Europe alone that I’d rather live in.

16. piropiro

piropiro Blue Belt

Joshua has been groomed to be the poster-boy of boxing; undefeated, charming, polite, confident yet seemingly humble, good looking, built like a statue, olympian, rags to riches story, etc.

He has very very broad appeal and commercial potential ... many find Wilder obnoxious with the whole bomb squad shtick and cringe statements, whilst Fury is engaging but not so marketable.

That’s why the Ruiz defeat was such s big shock/blow ... and the rematch is a must win situation if that image is to continue.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 3:28 AM
    Jonny Ninja likes this.
  17. svmVR2097

svmVR2097 Purple Belt

Because Joshua had that in his contract??? DAZN pays a certain percentage to him? Ruiz didn’t. Ruiz had a contracted rematch he had to give Joshua and his cut only went so much higher based off it? If Ruiz didn’t oblige the rematch he would’ve been on the shelf for years in lawsuits

GoldenAzazel likes this.
  18. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Black Belt

i agree with that. But the main reason for his fan base is due to picking up the belts and defending against top ranked fighters. This is something that neither wilder or fury have done.

Wilder has fought nobodies up to Ortiz. Ortiz didn’t deserve a rematch yet he chose him over worthy opponents like Whyte. only his fans really support re running the fight against an over 40 that you knocked out only last year. Fury only seems to step up the competition when it’s a title fight.
    Joshua fought wlad for a unified title in under 20 fights. Fought Dillian Whyte at 15 fights. Took the other belts and beat mandatory ranked challengers. That is the main reason for his stature and fan base. It’s why he’s being paid a kings ransom as a challenger.
    Wilder only has himself to blame. Fury is already earning Joshua money with his 100m 3 fight deal

19. Old Cat

Old Cat Gold Belt

well move chump.

blaccbeard likes this.
  20. Old Cat

Old Cat Gold Belt

So.