News Josh Warrington Vacates His World Title

£50k to win the bid...that is piss poor, not exactly a household name but i would have expected more than that

ehhhh, a "championship fight" does have a different ring to it
No real title was on the line for Floyd Vs Conor and that fight was huge. At no point was this promoted as a title fight.

When Floyd Vs Pac was hyped up like crazy nobody gave a fuck about what title was on the line. Floyd and Pacquiao being the 2 best fighters and biggest attractions of their era sold the fight. Go ask any casual who watched it and ask them what title was on the line.

If Fury and Joshua throw their belts in the trash do you think they would sell less PPV's?

At 135, Devin Haney got his belt via email. That's how meaningless the belts are now.

Sure back when there was 1 belt per division, championship fights meant a lot more. Now there's WBO, Ring magazine, WBA X2, WBC X2, IBF and IBO titles. The sanctioning bodies have killed the importance of title fights. They are expensive props to boost fighter's egos and line the sanctioning bodies pockets.

126 isn’t exactly the fanciest weight class at the moment.

No real title was on the line for Floyd Vs Conor and that fight was huge. At no point was this promoted as a title fight.

When Floyd Vs Pac was hyped up like crazy nobody gave a fuck about what title was on the line. Floyd and Pacquiao being the 2 best fighters and biggest attractions of their era sold the fight. Go ask any casual who watched it and ask them what title was on the line.

If Fury and Joshua throw their belts in the trash do you think they would sell less PPV's?

At 135, Devin Haney got his belt via email. That's how meaningless the belts are now.

Sure back when there was 1 belt per division, championship fights meant a lot more. Now there's WBO, Ring magazine, WBA X2, WBC X2, IBF and IBO titles. The sanctioning bodies have killed the importance of title fights. They are expensive props to boost fighter's egos and line the sanctioning bodies pockets.
I don't think comparing Floyd vs McGregor to other title fights is reasonable though. That was the two biggest stars in the two biggest combat sports fighting each other. IT was designed to have crossover between the MMA and boxing fanbases.

I don't think fans need to know what title it is, but if you aren't a multi million PPV seller like Pac or Floyd, a title fight defintiely helps sell it IMO. It guarantees the fighters are at some level to the casual. Sure hte belts are meaningless, but they have some degree of sway still to casuals.

plus this is irrelevant. Warrington isn't a PPV fighter (at least not in the US). Titles may not be necessary for established PPV names, but if you're just a network fighter, it defintiely boosts the profile.

More like Josh Peacingout.

Well that backfired spectacularly, serves him right for ducking Galahad lol. And Kid Galahad still gets his shot at a world title but against an easier opponent. Sometimes things work out for the best.

Well that backfired spectacularly, serves him right for ducking Galahad lol. And Kid Galahad still gets his shot at a world title but against an easier opponent. Sometimes things work out for the best.

I definitely thought Josh was going to win but pre-fight i just felt like something was wrong.

In the lead up Josh had vacated his belt so he didn't have to fight Kid, he repeatedly talked about fight Xu instead of Lara, and then the week of the fight he was talking about getting the KO (when he might have the softest punch in boxing). Obviously loads of fighters do these things but i just felt uneasy, then... well we know what happened.

I definitely thought Josh was going to win but pre-fight i just felt like something was wrong.

In the lead up Josh had vacated his belt so he didn't have to fight Kid, he repeatedly talked about fight Xu instead of Lara, and then the week of the fight he was talking about getting the KO (when he might have the softest punch in boxing). Obviously loads of fighters do these things but i just felt uneasy, then... well we know what happened.

I heard that he was saying he would knock Lara out, not a good tactic when you have just 7 KO's from 30 fights. I was of course surprised by the result. I don't think many gave Lara much of a chance. Warrington totally overlooked him.

Back