Josh Thomson's UFC title shot

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by JDSSafetyExpert, Sep 30, 2013.

1. JDSSafetyExpert

JDSSafetyExpert Blue Belt

Am I getting this straight? I mean, he's 2-2 in his last four, 4-3 in his last seven. He has one UFC win in the last...nearly decade, against a guy who got absolutely demolished by the former champion.

He's against a fighter who is looking like possibly the most dangerous lightweight ever in the UFC who could very well hold belts at 145 and 155, and to make matters worse Rafael Dos Anjos has five straight wins, really 7 if you count the shady split decision loss to Tibau as the win it should have been. None of this adds up to me. I know the division is weak right now (When it's been TJ Grant, RDA, and Thomson you know 155 has gone a little soft with the talent migration down to 145) but it's a little ridiculous when the show is free to pass up a fighter who earned the shot with a significant win streak. Is this all it takes to get a title shot anymore? They should just table it and do Pettis vs. Aldo on PPV and have Aldo vacate and move up.

2. Wefee

Wefee Blue Belt

Well, Dana likes Pettis.

3. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Steel Belt

Thomson just stopped a former title challenger with strikes for the first time and he's a California native on a California card. Marketability.

4. JDSSafetyExpert

But you can't even begin to argue he earned the shot. As far as California goes...there's a million fighters from there. Just seems like they should do Dos Anjos now as this is not a PPV and it's getting very hard to deny that he's earned it.

5. Based God

Based God Brown Belt

Thomson should have been the last Strikeforce 155 champ if the judges didn't gift Gil with the split decision then he KO'd the previous number 1 contender. TS talks about people with win streaks, but who did those people beat during those win streaks?

Legit contenders with a loss or two against good comp > someone with a win streak that didn't beat any contenders themselves.

dos Anjos I agree with, dude is on a good run, but Thomson is a bigger name.

6. Junbo79

Junbo79 Blue Belt

Sometimes you are just in the right place at the right time. He wasn't a first choice, but no matter what, Zuffa wanted Pettis fighting on that card. Zuffa is gifting FOX with a card full of fights that are intended to deliver.

So I don't think it is what was accomplished as much as being in the right place at the right time, and being lucky enough to be in a division that has an exciting champ with no contenders (not already booked or injured) available.

Just accept that beating on off Diaz is worthy of getting a title shot. Thankfully we don't have to wait to see Pettis fight.

I get Dos Anjos deserves it, but whatever. Let him fight Grant. Give the UFC a chance to truly promote those two as #1 and #2 to the belt.

7. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

I agree it's a bit silly, would rather see someone on a nice win streak like RDA or Khabib

8. J Danger

J Danger Armed with a Mind

Thomson was the #2 guy available that wasn't coming off a loss. Would you like to see another massive gap between title defenses again? Thomson is solid.

9. JDSSafetyExpert

I thought Thomson won that fight too but that's a fight in another promotion nearly two years ago. Just doesn't hold a lot of water now.

RDA has beat Sotiropolous (when that meant something), Cerrone, Dunham, and the criminally underrated Bocek and Njokouani. He hasn't been fighting scrubs.

10. JDSSafetyExpert

I would wait a couple more months for a better contender. Pettis just won the title in late August.

11. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

I dont mind Josh getting the shot.....he beat Nate by strikes a former title contender. And those losses to Gil were a bit iffy.

12. LEWIS540

LEWIS540 .

Should be a great fight...............how can anyone complain about this?

13. Lyoto Jackson

Lyoto Jackson Purple Belt

This

14. Kneeuinthenutz

Kneeuinthenutz Steel Belt

Miyagi Do - Cobra Kai Dojo Kicking Major Ass.
    Jesus Christ have some respect.

Josh Thomson has been one of the best LW in the world for almost 13 years, and is now back in the UFC hitting his peak.

He deserves this shot without question.

It's also apparently OK to point that out now considering Dana was citing Baroa's record outside of Zuffa as a means to illustrate how incredibly awesome he is.

15. Stuhby

Stuhby Blue Belt

In the first round. Taking zero damage at all. Four months is plenty of time to get back in there. Six months is far too long, and more time for him to injure himself.

RDA fought on August 28th. (Has also won last four by UD - not "exciting"[At the very least, not as exciting as a single KO of a Diaz)

Khabib also JUST fought a week ago. Way too green, to boot.

Thomson is the only real option. And will make for a good fight.

16. LongTermLurker

LongTermLurker "Et tu, Brute?" Platinum Member

He is a replacement. Any challenger (particularly top ten-ish)>>>champ waiting around

17. MikoSkyns

MikoSkyns Purple Belt

How many times have people been gifted title shots? How is this one any different?

18. willin

willin Black Belt

Nate Diaz is a far better win for Thomson than an arguable loss to Dunham and a nice Cerrone win.
    Obviously there is no set criteria to get a Title Shot. Thomson's body of work is superior to RDA; and I like RDA. RDA needs a win from the upper tier in the Division.

19. Kneeuinthenutz

Kneeuinthenutz Steel Belt

Miyagi Do - Cobra Kai Dojo Kicking Major Ass.
    I think the main reason the UFC is reluctant to give RDA the shot is because he's cutting his fights really close. Cerrone completely took over round 3 in his last fight, and he arguably lost to Dunham.

I very much like RDA also.

20. emax

emax Black Belt

TJ Grant is the only guy you can legitimately deserves the next shot more than Thomson. After you establish that, it then comes to marketability, which Thomson of course has Grant beat hands down. This is a shot coming off of being the only guy in the UFC to finish Nate Diaz, and the only guy to finish Diaz since 2006. This does not compare to Nick Diaz, Sonnen, Carmouche or the Meisha Tate rematch in any way shape or form in terms of undeserving title shots.