Josh Taylor vs José Ramírez May 22nd ESPN TOP RANK

This was a great fight, props to Taylor for a clean win against a strong and game opponent.

P4P & fantasy fights & such is like Dungeons & Dragons for boxing IMO but there's really only Ken Buchanan in Taylor's wheelhouse for achievement.

Buchanan took longer about it & beat better fighters (Carlos Ortiz & Ismael Laguna weren't dudes who'd just scraped past Victor Postol, know what I mean? Though both on the downslope). The game was different then but I still think doing a fighter like Laguna in Latin America is a higher achievement, coupled with wins over Ortiz & Watt.

But he's right up there. Like, a couple solid defences away, IMO.

EDIT: & I certainly don't wanna do the boy down 'cos I think Taylor would fight anyone in a heartbeat & I cannot wait for him to go on from here. Loved him since he did O'Hara Davies.

Same as that. He fckin schooled and embarrassed Davis. I hadn’t seen any of his pro fights before that. Best fighter from these shores by a fair margin

the fight was brilliant. if you like quality boxing, watch it first chance you get.

ramirez gave it everything he had, the man fought his ass off. no shame in that defeat, but he was facing an absolute beast.

Hopefully a full length vid will get uploaded by someone soon, I want to watch it.

It looked like a tough fight for both, judging by the facial damage. Taylor can be very accurate.

I did find this Prograis reaction video though where he immediately wanted to train for a rematch. The vids not worth watching after the first 20 seconds, but interesting to see his mindset.

How do you think Prograis vs Ramirez would go? I think Prograis beats him quite soundly.
i like prograis, he's slick... but i didn't like how he couldn't really adjust to taylor when they fought. i've only watched that fight once and it was a while ago, but i think prograis kept his right really low and taylor just kept hitting him with a left hook all night long. i think that's a dangerous flaw to have against someone like ramirez, who turns into a rabid dog whenever he sees an inch of an opening.

i could see ramirez getting outpointed for a while and then zoning in on something and just going apeshit on him. but, regis is the far sharper puncher and jose did just get put on his ass twice by a sharp puncher so... fun fight.

i like prograis, he's slick... but i didn't like how he couldn't really adjust to taylor when they fought. i've only watched that fight once and it was a while ago, but i think prograis kept his right really low and taylor just kept hitting him with a left hook all night long. i think that's a dangerous flaw to have against someone like ramirez, who turns into a rabid dog whenever he sees an inch of an opening.

i could see ramirez getting outpointed for a while and then zoning in on something and just going apeshit on him. but, regis is the far sharper puncher and jose did just get put on his ass twice by a sharp puncher so... fun fight.

Real fan of Prograis. Very slick as you say but could do.with a smidge of Taylor's nasty boxing.

Back