Josh Koschek training in the gi.

And in the black belt, too (is he a Guerilla JJ BB or something?)

I don't really know much about Guerilla Jiu Jitsu, how does a black belt in that style match up with a normal BJJ black belt?

I don't really know much about Guerilla Jiu Jitsu, how does a black belt in that style match up with a normal BJJ black belt?

They definitely don't have a presence in the IBJJF, so who knows in terms of mainstream recognition?

Awesome to see Josh training in a gi, shows his dedication. I would love to see him utilize more of his ground game. His bjj coupled with this high level wrestling makes him a beast no doubt, just wanna see more of it

I would be incredibly proud to have a black belt under Dave Camarillo. I don't really think there's any difference between BJJ and GJJ except that GJJ has a big focus on learning solid Judo and Wrestling.

I would be incredibly proud to have a black belt under Dave Camarillo. I don't really think there's any difference between BJJ and GJJ except that GJJ has a big focus on learning solid Judo and Wrestling.

This has always been my impression.

Which, I would imagine, would mean he has a bit less of a technical ground game and more of a technical standup.

They definitely don't have a presence in the IBJJF, so who knows in terms of mainstream recognition?

He is an IBJJF certified black belt, and his students compete in IBJJF tournaments. Its just his brand of jiujitsu.

This has always been my impression.

Which, I would imagine, would mean he has a bit less of a technical ground game and more of a technical standup.

I would not say they have "a bit less of a technical ground game."

Dave Camarillo and all of his students are savages on the floor. Dave is IBJJF certified and his guys compete in IBJJF events. Dan Camarillo competed in the Pans as recently as this year, and got a amazing flying triangle to boot. They're no different than any BJJ school. If you go to Marcelo's academy you're going to maybe get some emphasis on butterfly, x-guard, and guillotine stuff. It's like that everywhere. I don't think this is any different, as every gym has its own culture.

There's nothing lacking, standup or on the floor, of any Guerilla Jiu Jitsu black belt.

I would not say they have "a bit less of a technical ground game."

Dave Camarillo and all of his students are savages on the floor. Dave is IBJJF certified and his guys compete in IBJJF events. Dan Camarillo competed in the Pans as recently as this year, and got a amazing flying triangle to boot. They're no different than any BJJ school. If you go to Marcelo's academy you're going to maybe get some emphasis on butterfly, x-guard, and guillotine stuff. It's like that everywhere. I don't think this is any different, as every gym has its own culture.

There's nothing lacking, standup or on the floor, of any Guerilla Jiu Jitsu black belt.

DREW!! MY BOY!!!

You gotta know what I mean.

Let's take 2 people. One has done a BJJ/Judo mix for 10 years. The other pure BJJ.

Person A will be badass, let's say he's done an 80/20 ground/standing mix. Person B is 100% ground.

After 10 years, Person B will have *roughly 2 YEARS MORE EXPERIENCE on the ground.

That HAS to count for something.

I LOVE Dave Camarillo and GBJJ, I was not intending to take anything from it. But those with a single discipline will be better in that discipline than someone with shared time.

DREW!! MY BOY!!!

Let's take 2 people. One has done a BJJ/Judo mix for 10 years. The other pure BJJ.

Person A will be badass, let's say he's done an 80/20 ground/standing mix. Person B is 100% ground.

After 10 years, Person B will have *roughly 2 YEARS MORE EXPERIENCE on the ground.

I LOVE Dave Camarillo and GBJJ, I was not intending to take anything from it. But those with a single discipline will be better in that discipline than someone with shared time.

that REALLY depends on effort though, and also a lot on learning capability

DREW!! MY BOY!!!

Okay but what is this pure BJJ, not trying to be a prick. Seriously.

Because not all BJJ places teach people to just start on their knees. My academy does a lot of standup work too, so I wouldn't say my time has been 100% ground.

Is it even possible to find an average on who spends what amount of time where?

Okay but what is this pure BJJ, not trying to be a prick. Seriously.

Because not all BJJ places teach people to just start on their knees. My academy does a lot of standup work too, so I wouldn't say my time has been 100% ground.

Is it even possible to find an average on who spends what amount of time where?

I know what you mean. Conceding defeat.

My BJJ school also has a Judo teacher, ME!!!, so we don't cover standup in BJJ. Just like I don't cover ground specfics in my Judo class.

In schools like mine there would be a difference like I mentioned. But probably not as much in other clubs.

There should be no doubt at all about anyone that Dave promotes. He is as legit as they come and could still tear shit up in competitions if he cared too.

Back