Josh Koscheck fought GSP for $10,000. Thinks he deserved UFC job over Nogueira

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by PolskiGhost, Aug 10, 2015.

1. PolskiGhost

PolskiGhost Blue Belt

New interview with Josh Koscheck over the weekend on Submission Radio

[YT]Ukerm1aINz8[/YT]
    Josh comes on at 1:01:25

Some Topics Covered:
    -recent departure from the UFC
    -why he chose Bellator
    -how long he had been planning to leave
    -feeling like a free man
    -whether he approached Dana White before he left the company
    -what it was like leaving after being such a big part of the company for 10 years
    -the way he was treated in the past and fighting GSP for $10,000
    -feeling like he was forced to sign an underpaying contract after the Ultimate Fighter
    -what it would take to start a fighter's union
    -his real relationship with GSP and the conversations they had during TUF
    -his other businesses
    -the day of the Reebok uniform unveiling
    -being excited for the Paul Daly rematch and why it's still personal
    -Paul's pathetic wrestling and how he sees the rematch going
    -if he plans on fighting for another title
    -Chris Leben rematch

Some Quotes:

What prompted Josh to jump over to Bellator

2. PolskiGhost

PolskiGhost Blue Belt

On how Josh can get back on a winning track after multiple back to back loses in the UFC
    “Yeah, well I have [for] a long time. Those fights were over a course of three years, three and a half years. So I took some time and focused on some other businesses and got things going. So regardless if I was to ever fight again or not, Josh Koscheck is gonna be fine because I’m willing to freakin' walk through the shit to get the glory, to get to the top of the hill that I wanna be at. So whether it be my businesses or whether it be back inside the Bellator cage, I’m willing to walk through the shit to get to the top. So I’m willing to put the work in and I’m gonna put the work in. And this is my last hoorah with Bellator. You know, I’m gonna finish my career on Spike TV and with Bellator, and I’m really pumped about it. So I just gotta put the work in. If I put the work in I believe I can still win fights.”

On what he thinks about Robbie Lawler and if the belt looks to move around over the next few fights
    “I definitely think the belt's going to move around. The UFC belt is definitely gonna get passed around. GSP was a special guy and I think that he had a great run, and it was smart of him to leave when he did. I think that he’s going to be the one that everyone is going to look back and say "wow, he left the champion and he left on top". So it's pretty awesome for Georges, and I think Georges would be a guy that would be a good representation for head or one of the VP’s or heads of the union. You know, he speaks well, he’s been there, done that, and he hasn’t always been on good terms with the UFC it sounds like. And I think that Georges - I can't say for sure, but I remember some conversations when we were teaching and coaching on The Ultimate Fighter season 12, so in the conversations that I had with Georges at the time [It sounded like Georges wasn't happy]. I think things will come 360 and something good is going to happen soon for us fighters. But the Welterweight division, it’s always going to be tough, because it’s that 170 to 185 type of athlete. So it’s the middle range and there’s a lot of guys out there in the world that are around that weight, and it seems to be always a tough division.”

On if Josh ever had any real ill will towards Georges St. Pierre
    “Nah. We knew what our job was and we did it. So I have no ill will against Georges St. Pierre, so he’s a stand-up guy and I would even say that. You know, when you can edit things from the first day and put 'em in the last day and vice versa, editing can do some crazy things. But that’s what you sign up for reality TV and shows. But Georges is a great champion. When you can go out and you lose your title and then you win it back and then you go on a tear for four or five fights or whatever he did, that’s pretty impressive. He’s always been a great champion, he wore the belt great, and I’m excited about seeing the future of what Georges St. Pierre can bring to the table to help support the fighters.”

On if there’s still a grudge there with Paul Daley all those years later from their original UFC fight
    “Yeah, you know, I’m ready to beat down Paul Daley again. That’s one of the reasons why I was so excited about signing with Bellator, and pretty much primarily the only reason I wanted to sign, is to get a chance to take this guy out. You know, I grinded him out. He still - after watching him fight - he's still got 3rd grade wrestling. So it’s gonna be an easy fight for me. I probably won’t even do any wrestling for the whole camp, just because his wrestling is just pathetic and I can’t wait for that fight, and that’s what I’m working towards. I gotta go out there and obviously win a fight or win maybe two fights and hopefully Paul Daley can be my third fight. So I’m looking forward to potentially getting that fight next summer.”

If Josh is interested in fighting Andrey Koreshkov for the Welterweight title and becoming a champion in Bellator
    “Nope. I don’t care about a belt. You know what I care about? Big fights, big ratings and lots of butts in the seat. That’s what I care about. You know, at some point hopefully I’d love the opportunity to fight on like Fort Benning, or Fort Bragg, or Camp Lejeune, one of the military bases. I think that would be pretty surreal to the get the opportunity to go back there and Spike TV lines up a fight for the troops again. So that’s one of my goals , do one more fight for the troops at some point and just make it a good little run here in Bellator. I don’t care about belts. Those things are all sweet and dandy, but it’s not important for me. What’s important for me is to go out there and win a couple of fights and then whip Paul Daley’s ass. That’s all I care about.”

On when we can expect Josh to have his first Bellator fight
    “Yup, we’ll be fighting Bellator in December. I don’t know if it’s the 11th or 12th. Whatever that Friday is of that week, that’s when I’m fighting, and I’m fighting in Fresno California.”

3. Redhawks100

Redhawks100 Gold Belt

Nogueira is a legend.

Koscheck is known because of GSP. That's it.

4. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

he mean his 1st GSP fight?

5. LogicalError

LogicalError Purple Belt

Didn't read the whole thing and didn't listen, but seems a bit delusional and salty.

6. Ancuetas

Ancuetas Green Belt

He is spot on on the UFC. it's basically a bunch of thugs with zero professionalism bullying the fighters and blackmailing them.

7. JudoThrowFiasco

JudoThrowFiasco Charming Quark Platinum Member

I get the fighter pay argument but Really Josh? How are YOU going to retire? Trying to play that sympathy card?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. suffersystem

suffersystem Brown Belt

So, should UFC hire every long term fighter they have on their roster? Just because you fight for them over ten years doesn't mean you get a job with them come the end of it. Not too many sports have a span of life for ten years, so invest and be smart with your money, have something to fall back on. I find it strange that people think you can play a sport for a few years and all of a sudden never do anything for the remaining 30 years of your life.

9. bigmacbub

bigmacbub Purple Belt

Good read TS

10. dc007

dc007 mr. white belt

Kos has really grown on me over the years. I used to hate that dude but I actually have liked him that last few years.

11. Kalmah

Kalmah Gold Belt

The UFC doesn't owe him shit.

12. eddymotto

eddymotto Red Belt

what.. the.. fuck...

13. bigmacbub

bigmacbub Purple Belt

Koscheck said he's done more for the ufc than the nogueira's which is correct. That is it

14. Iron Leg

Iron Leg Brown Belt

Big Nog's overall MMA legacy is far beyond Koscheck as everyone knows, however, it's also fair to say that Koscheck's UFC legacy is easily greater than Big Nog's.

It was surprising when Dana said he was giving Big Nog a special "Liddell/Hughes" retirement deal, considering Big Nog never held a UFC belt, and is finishing at 5-6.

15. mag5585

mag5585 Brown Belt

30 years??? It should be well over 30 for most athletes, even contact sport athletes.

16. IloveTHIS

IloveTHIS Humble Narcissist

I like Josh but really? How can he say this when there is a video of his house on youtube, and it looks like a million+ dollar house.

Then there is also his small private plane

Then his Ferrari

you aint broke and got paid a lot more than 10k against GSP lol

Hes doing pretty damn good for a guy that never had a chance of touching the belt

17. fightdonttweet

fightdonttweet Banned Banned

I take it he's mad the analyst job didn't work out for him.

18. fightdonttweet

fightdonttweet Banned Banned

Nog held the interim title

19. Ogata

Ogata Silver Belt

Josh WAS given an opportunity when he was given a try out as an analysts. Too bad he came off awkward with his "ummm" "aaahhhh"

20. Fight Professor

Fight Professor Gold Belt

That probably means he does not have enough money to support that kind of lifestyle, like most out-of-prime athletes.