Josh Kelly is slowly becoming my fav boxer

MuayThai101

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Too slick, too smooth, too quick.

Canelo will be styled on soon by this kid. Mark my words.

he looks very good, but he's still fighting people who have nothing to offer back.

i'm going to need to see him fight like that against someone who can actually fight back before i'm completely sold on him.

Kelly just fought some 9th ranked level domestic Argentinian bum whom both couldn’t make 147 just to be added on a Bellew card for exposure. A prime Thurman or any elite 147 fighter would easily give Kelly problems. The Argentinian guy was beyond garbage.

Kelly would give Canelo problems? Lol. Stick to Muay Thai

With all the quality fighters he has ran through it is hard to see how anyone could pick Canelo over him.

I like Kelly he has great promise. But when I look at him I remember how good Prince Naseem Hamed looked destroying everyone early in his career. And he looked untouchable like Neo. And I don't know if Kelly has Nas potential. We'll have to wait and see how he does against much better opposition before we can really say how good he is. But he certainly is an exciting fighter to watch.

I like Kelly he has great promise. But when I look at him I remember how good Prince Naseem Hamed looked destroying everyone early in his career. And he looked untouchable like Neo. And I don't know if Kelly has Nas potential. We'll have to wait and see how he does against much better opposition before we can really say how good he is. But he certainly is an exciting fighter to watch.

I agree with this 100%. Just this last Friday I was watching some random scraps on MTK Global. Not the best cards at all, but better than nothing, and it’s beyond appreciative that MTK global airs such for free.

With that being said though, many many cards around the world for guys starting out with few fights will turn it up to steal a show. They exaggerate their fundamentals and crank it up, which is good, but most boxers can do this. The question is if its necessary, and yes, many want to and can be flashy like RJJ or Nas, but if you rookie mistakes in the process it can be disastrous.

So yes I agree. But tbh, accuracy is key, when doing flash or showboating.

Tbh I wish he'd tone it down a bit sometimes. I'd rather see him working his jab more with lower level fighters and getting rounds in and practicing the skills that he'll need when in with better guys who are too good for him to just style on, rather than always going out there and trying to RJJ opponents from the opening bell and sometimes taking the odd silly shot back in the process.

Oh and obviously Canelo would destroy him, I mean come on. Kelly is never even going to be in the same weight class as Canelo.

Last edited:
Tbh I wish he'd tone it down a bit sometimes. I'd rather see him working his jab more with lower level fighters and getting rounds in and practicing the skills that he'll need when in with better guys who are too good for him to just style on, rather than always going out there and trying to RJJ opponents from the opening bell and sometimes taking the odd silly shot back in the process.

Oh and obviously Canelo would destroy him, I mean come on. Kelly is never even going to be in the same weight class as Canelo.
He could go up in weight to 154 seeing as he's still fairly young and 160 could be possible with his frame and height. But that is a long time in the future while he has to concentrate at WW.

this.

he was clowning this guy left and right, but he got hit with some right hands that would've spelled trouble if his opponent wasn't undersized, had planted his feet, and actually packed some power. someone high level would've made him regret it double quick.

Too early to tell yet dude. He has fantastic potential but he’s in possibly the toughest division in boxing, and there are too many unanswered questions around kelly at the moment. He’s only an 8 fight pro and he is not ready for the elite ww’s. I’m sure Adan booth will continue to move him along steadily if he can get him fights, which has been a problem apparently

There were talking about putting him in with Khan and Adam Booth nodded that they be up for that. They are quite confident in Kelly's abilities.
I thought I'd put up the full fight which is short for those that missed it:

There were talking about putting him in with Khan and Adam Booth nodded that they be up for that. They are quite confident in Kelly's abilities.
I thought I'd put up the full fight which is short for those that missed it:

I'm sure Adam Booth undertands the pay cut for a Khan bout vs the pay he just got against the Argentinian they fought...

He is super fun and exciting to watch, I love his style.. I was saying last night on the Bellew/Usyk thread how much he impresses me. He is so accurate and slick. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Love watching him fight. Totally picks people apart.

Last fight had a gnarly 1 - 2. So fast and accurate

He'll never keep that pace up for 12, I have a feeling a veteran will absorb his shit and fuck him up.

This kid is entertaining, but there is literally no way to tell if he's anything more than a flash in the pan yet.

He looks brilliant so far but let him get the British title and then step up to Euro level before we start even talking about Canelo or anyone close to that level. Hold your horses.

Back