Josh Hill on Dealing with his TUF Loss

Anyone else find it interesting that Dana dismisses Josh Hill as a "one-trick pony" but he loves Ronda Rousey, who has never won a fight by anything other than an armbar?
That's because you're a moron.

The armbar is not a move. It is a classification of a position comprised of literally hundreds of techniques.

It's like saying someone who only wins by KO with punches is a one trick pony, because all they have is one move: punching.

Ronda is an elite level grappler, with an excellent array of judo throws (although she clearly prefers ogoshi and ko ouchi gari), and is very good at numerous armbar setups and finishes (and her iaskevitch roll is the best in MMA, but she has shown multiple others as well).

The armbar is not a move. It is a classification of a position comprised of literally hundreds of techniques.

It's like saying someone who only wins by KO with punches is a one trick pony, because all they have is one move: punching.

Ronda is an elite level grappler, with an excellent array of judo throws (although she clearly prefers ogoshi and ko ouchi gari), and is very good at numerous armbar setups and finishes (and her iaskevitch roll is the best in MMA, but she has shown multiple others as well).

Composed of literally hundreds of techniques? Don't be ridiculous. RR's armbar is a judo technique, plain and simple. Yes, it takes superb grappling skill to pull it off as much as she does, but don't make it more complex than it is.

Dana didn't criticize Hill because he depended on one move or one technique, he called him a "one-trick pony" because he relied almost solely on his grappling. Which is exactly what RR does. The only difference is she has only ever finished with - yes, one move - the armbar.

No, if you win every single one of your fights using the same submission, that is the definition of a one trick pony

so jds is a one trick pony because he only wins with punches right?

can't help that you guys are ignorant to grappling.

That's like saying a wrestler who uses multiple different takedowns is a one trick pony "because all he does is grab the legs to take people down."

Just because the terminology to distinguish the techniques doesn't exist, doesn't mean they aren't different techniques. Hundreds of techniques. Literally. Hundreds.

was sad to see him lose. he was the only reason for watching this year. so what do you think is next for Josh? from everything I've been reading he wasn't getting local fights or across Canada.
unless he does a drastic change in fighting "style" he's likely to be snubbed by Dana

so what's his options?

was sad to see him lose. he was the only reason for watching this year. so what do you think is next for Josh? from everything I've been reading he wasn't getting local fights or across Canada.
unless he does a drastic change in fighting "style" he's likely to be snubbed by Dana

so what's his options?

Well, with the buyout and disillusion of Score Fighting Series, there hasn't been much in the way of Ontario-based MMA. I think there's been two shows in Ontario since SFS ended (one this weekend that Chris Horodecki fought at and one earlier this year, I believe).

Well, with the buyout and disillusion of Score Fighting Series, there hasn't been much in the way of Ontario-based MMA. I think there's been two shows in Ontario since SFS ended (one this weekend that Chris Horodecki fought at and one earlier this year, I believe).

Joslin was mentioning something like that in one of his emails, due to some major hoops Ontario makes these smaller events jump through..

you on the escarpment or a downtowner?

So if a fighter's strength is wrestling should he just give up on a td and fight where he's weakest if he can't get it within 30 seconds, just to appease fans with the attention span of a five year old? I mean god forbid someone actually has to work for a td.

Yea, sure they can....just don't count on getting a UFC contract from Mr. Clean.

Back