Josh Barnett To Compete in Sakuraba's 5 on 5 Event!

WaylonMercy5150

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
As competitive grappling continues to expand into a professional sport, organizations are working to develop original themes, rules and matchups to attract attention. Rabarland Inc. is joining the conversation as it’s announced a new league featuring some big names in combat sports and adding the new wrinkle of grappling team survival matches.

Going by the name Quintet, this new promotion is set to debut team grappling with submission-only rules. Teams will consist of five competitors and their total weight must not exceed 430 kilograms (948 pounds). Matches are ten minutes long. If neither team is victorious after all five bouts, then both teams get to select one competitor for an additional match to determine the winner.

“Thanks to our sponsors and everyone involved,” said MMA legend, Kazushi Sakuraba via a press release. “I would like to contribute to the combat sports world by holding these grappling events, and help nurture and encourage amateur fighters around the world.”

Sakuraba, who is heading the promotion, will also be one of many prominent names mentioned to be a competing. The Haleo Dream Team features Sakuraba, former UFC champion, Josh Barnett, Marcos Souza, Daisuke Nakamura and Hideo Tokoro. The Polaris team features athletes that have competed under their banner including Dan Strauss, Craig Jones, Gregor Gracie, Charles Negromonte and one individual to be named. Teams representing Sambo and Judo will also be featured with top competitors in those disciplines such as Satoshi Ishii and Marius Zaromskis.

“We are planning 3 events this year, the first in Japan and then England and then America where grappling competitions are popular these days,” Sakuraba said. “The rules are being adopted to not restrict grappling arts fighters from the likes of Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Wrestling and Sambo.”

Quintet 1 is scheduled for April 11 from the Ryogoku Kokugikan Sumo Hall.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/2/...t-to-feature-josh-barnett-other-mma-stars-bjj

So with the weight being a team weight, could we see smaller guys vs bigger guys? I like the idea of the individual fights being basically open weight

Neat, too bad Barnett will be almost a third of the entire teams weight...

would rather watch this than the gay shit they pass off as matchmaking in wme
i miss pride.

When the shit did Zaromskis become a Sambo guy?

Everyone will jump on eachother's backs and it will be a long train of sweaty dudes choking eachother.

i miss pride.

I think you forget how bad the matchmaking in Pride was. Don't get me wrong, I miss pride too, but I don't miss watching wanderlei murder some smaller dude who had no business being in the ring.

Sounds like bullshit. This is what you are really looking for:

Looks cool. Should have teams from many diciplines...like pro wrasslin from the US! :D

i miss pride.
giphy.gif

It's fascinating how quickly I got bored with that concept. Staggering really.

Back