Josh Barnett on Lifting for MMA

do you have any websites that post workouts to do everyday?

thanks,

JC

The FAQ, Urban's ME/DE/unilateral thread, Finny's weight trainin' for MMA thread, Finny's Log, crossfit (if that's more your style), etc, etc.

thanks for the info. I do a lot of deadlifts, squats and power lifting. they are absolutely great. I use to do body buliding exercises and now realize I was wasting my time. I also developed a piece of fitness equipment for MMA fighters. It can be used for pushups, pullups, balance training, stretching, etc. UFC figther Dustin Hazelett uses the product. check out the video on my website.

www.slashfitness.com

thanks,

JC

Another Eric Wong.

*awaits Barut's arrival*

And to address stretching this is so simple: Just do it. Who said lift but don't stretch? I have heard so much ignorance from folks saying oh I can't lift weights because I will get stiff and lose flexiblility. Yeah, because your dumb ass stopped working on flexibility.

This is the one I hear the most. "But if I lift I'll become "stiff" and slow."

Drive me nuts.

I liked Barnett's point about isolation work, at least as it pertains to things like rotator cuffs.

I just got my shoulder jacked up Mir v. Pete Williams style and will be putting Cubans back into my shoulder workout as soon as I recover.

Great workout. Thanks for posting it. I'll have to give it a try.

One of the best things I have ever seen posted by a pro fighter.. Although most of the points he makes are common knowledge by well informed gym rats, its invaluable to hear a pro athlete share his training regime and philosophy..

Thanks Josh!

JB gave me the book "super squats" that got me starting squats and DL's and all the big lifts. i owe my strength training knowledge to him

thanks for the info. I do a lot of deadlifts, squats and power lifting. they are absolutely great. I use to do body buliding exercises and now realize I was wasting my time. I also developed a piece of fitness equipment for MMA fighters. It can be used for pushups, pullups, balance training, stretching, etc. UFC figther Dustin Hazelett uses the product. check out the video on my website.

Slash Fitness - Factory Direct Fitness Equipment

thanks,

JC

Your fucking kidding me.

The Total Body Trainer chain attachment is 8 feet long and comes with two snap hooks. The chain is rated to hold 1000 lbs. It is a stainless steel material so it will not rust. Add the chain attachment to blast your back, chest and arms. You can do reverse pushups and pullups by properly installing the chain attachment. Warning: Do not use any other chain or snap hooks. Only use the authorized Slash Fitness chain attachment that is for sale on this site. Failure to do so could result in injury.

And it's on sale for only:

Click here to order
Retail $149.00
Factory Direct Price: $95.00 ORDER NOW
Order Now and receive a Free DVD and Workout Poster!

Barnetts cool dude. A true student of MMA.

There's a reason Josh is my favorite fighter, this is just one of them. "Technique within Strength" love it.

Another important aspect is speed. Get in and get out. Don't waste all day between sets as your opponents won't give you that much time to rest. Plus, the more work you do over a length of time the more work you will have accomplished. If you lift 400lbs once in 5 minutes you will have done less work than if you had lifted 200lbs 10 times in that same time span.

This is bothering me. I don't do anything above 5 reps lol.

What I freaking hate are the young guys in BJJ who say, every time I get an injury (which is often), that I need to quit strength training and spend more time on conditioning. They say that my strength work is making me injury prone.

No, it's not.

The fact that I'm 42 fucking years old and I don't stretch enough is what makes me injury prone. My strength training is what helps me apply the techniques that sub your ass repeatedly...

Barnett's an intelligent and charismatic guy. He's always been one of my favorites. He used to post here but some dumb poster kept hassling him about the juicing incident and ran him off.

Wonder why he gets so much hate in the heavies. Probably because the people there are idiots.

What I freaking hate are the young guys in BJJ who say, every time I get an injury (which is often), that I need to quit strength training and spend more time on conditioning. They say that my strength work is making me injury prone.

No, it's not.

The fact that I'm 42 fucking years old and I don't stretch enough is what makes me injury prone. My strength training is what helps me apply the techniques that sub your ass repeatedly...

I made the mistake to do mma and grappling without strengh training on the side, and got a cranky body thanks to it. Strength training is nescesary to keep me healthy enough to be able to grapple at all..

yeah, good post.

I've been thinking about arm bars, and how a fight against them is essentially an isolated curl or hammer curl.

and he likes the movie Blood of Heroes, which is this weird and great mad max ultra violent rugby like dealy.

Back