Josh Barnett on Lifting for MMA

How can you not like Barnett? He knows his shit, is always helping teach others, and doesn't takes himself too serious. The Elephant Man line he dropped after the Pride OWGP had me in stitches.

That was a great fight, and one of the greatest post fight interviews ever.

"You'll have to excuse me, I just got hit in the face by a giant Russian guy with the grim reaper holding a baby tattooed on his back, my mind isn't working".

I'm looking forward to his next fight, rumored to be against Rizzo.

FAQ is over max post length for the forum, only way for me to redo it is to pull the post, break it up and post in multiple posts in the same thrread, will get done, but I need to be in the right mood. Besides josh basically just agrees with the whole faq there.

Lazy bastard.:icon_chee

First off I'd like to say that bodybuilding training is not useless to the combat athlete. Why? Because bodybuilding builds strength, size, looks (Don't kid yourself, it's important.) and most importantly because in our sport often we end up in positions where limbs become isolated and we are unable to recruit a lot of other muscle groups to help.
Variety. Not just in movements but in changing your routines on a regular basis.

I agree with both of these 100%.

I agree with both of these 100%.

I agree with this 37.9%.

statisticoolLOLCAT.jpg

Stat, did you also see that he says to do a routine for 4 weeks, then change for 2, then back to the first one for 4? (if I remember right)...

Some of my favorite movements for this kind of training are:

-Deadlifting and squatting because nothing builds raw power like these two exercises.

-Olympic lifting such as cleaning, snatch, high pulls, clean and jerk push presses. These can be done with a barbell or with dumbbells which can add a lot of diversity to your training.

-Pull-ups and dips. I know when I am strong by how many pull-ups I can knock out. Dips are another great power builder and both can be done with weight by simply using a belt harness or even by crossing your ankles and having your partner put a dumbbell between your legs.

-Dumbbell pressing. Flat bench, incline, overhead you name it.

-Strongman (Thanks Tim) and unorthodox lifting. Log pressing, stones, sandbags, sleds, bands, tires, axels, ropes, Indian clubs, the Macebell, hammers. Moving weight in multiple planes, dead weight, and full body work. These are true tests of power and are a great way to make lifting fun.

*swoons*

Found this on the underground, not sure how accurate it is, but thought it was worth posting.

" -Deadlift 505lbs x1(no belt, no wraps, no suit @ 250lbs), 465 x8 (same)
-Squat 550lbs x1 @ 18 years old (Wraps and belt), 355 x20 (raw @ 250lbs), 455lbs x10 (raw @ 250lbs.)
-Bench 315lbs x4 (raw, my weakest lift)
-Clean 227lbs x1 with an axle.
-Turkish get-ups with a 70lb sand bag 8 times in 1 minute. 6 in :42 sec.
-Towel pull-ups 16 @ 247lbs
-Pull-ups and push-ups 50 and 100 in 5 sets with :20sec rest in between super sets @ 260lbs.
-Squat with 400lbs of bands for 20 then deadlift 315 for 10 @ 247lbs
-I can alternating swing 25lbs clubs in each hand and swing the 10kg Macebell
-Baseball pull-ups x12 @ 260lbs"

Towel pull-ups! Bands! Turkish Get-Ups! Sandbags! Listing Deadlift first! Not caring too much about Bench!...Josh rules.

I personally have no problem with someone who does some isolation at the end of their workout, so long as their hittin' their compound lifts hard and heavy first. But, havin' said that, I haven't done a set of curls in at least a year and a half, and yet, I can strict curl more than I ever could when I was doin' curls. (I know this because I've picked up and 1-arm curled a barbell than a curl monkey friend was usin' both arms on). Compound movements do affect all the muscles used.

The next best thing for someone not training in a MA or have stopped training in a MA is to be as strong as possible through convential weight lifting and functional training.

A little late to the show, but it is great to hear a pro fighter tell it like it is. :)

thanks for the info. I do a lot of deadlifts, squats and power lifting. they are absolutely great. I use to do body buliding exercises and now realize I was wasting my time. I also developed a piece of fitness equipment for MMA fighters. It can be used for pushups, pullups, balance training, stretching, etc. UFC figther Dustin Hazelett uses the product. check out the video on my website.

www.slashfitness.com

do you have any websites that post workouts to do everyday?

thanks,

JC

Back