Jose Pele Landi in a Pull ups Contest (photos)

Rocam

White Belt
Reaction score
We do a pull up contest every year in Curitiba, Brazil.

Rules are: chin above the bar in the up position, arms straight in the down position, cannot use legs, swing or kipping.

Contest is for the most pull ups in 1 minute.

In 2013, Pele showed up and did 25 pull ups.

Just found some photos and wanted to share.

Pele2.jpg
Pele1.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff. How many does it take to win each year?

Without question, one of the greatest strikers i have ever seen in 20+ years of watching mixed martial arts.

25 in 1 min is not that impressive. I can do 20 in 1min and Im no athlete + pretty bad shape.

Depends how much he weighs, though.

remember when he hit Carlos Newton with a flying knee. No one could've stayed up for a strike like that.

Good stuff. How many does it take to win each year?

Last year, male did 35 and female 18.

Rules are: chin above the bar in the up position, arms straight in the down position, cannot use legs, swing or kipping.

25 in 1 min is not that impressive. I can do 20 in 1min and Im no athlete + pretty bad shape.

It's pretty good with the strict rules TS outlined.

I was just getting ready to say, you probably weight 160 pounds. hahaha. I weight 207 and I can do 38 pull-ups in a little over a minute. Yes, feel ashamed. :p

remember when he hit Carlos Newton with a flying knee. No one could've stayed up for a strike like that.

One of the better fighters many fans haven't heard of. I'll never forget how he straight dropped Chuck Liddell with that kick, or how Chuck popped right back up like the mat was made of super balls.

i loved watching jose vs macaco, those fights were hilarious with some of the shit he did. he totally embarrassed macaco by gyrating on his head !

I was just getting ready to say, you probably weight 160 pounds. hahaha. I weight 207 and I can do 38 pull-ups in a little over a minute. Yes, feel ashamed. :p

Exactly, that was my point when I said it isnt that impressive. Your record is really impressive, though.

Given the strict rules outlined, 25 is very impressive.
Those saying it's not impressive aren't accounting for the rules, 38 pull ups in one minute likely violates the " no swinging or kipping" aspect and I highly doubt your doing 38 straight arm pullups.
These are slow and controlled pullups designed to stress a small group of muscles.
Post your vids

I wouldn't call those rules strict.

Given the strict rules outlined, 25 is very impressive.
Those saying it's not impressive aren't accounting for the rules, 38 pull ups in one minute likely violates the " no swinging or kipping" aspect and I highly doubt your doing 38 straight arm pullups.
These are slow and controlled pullups designed to stress a small group of muscles.
Post your vids
If you're using a small group of muscles you aren't doing them correctly. Kipping or swinging wouldn't make it easier to do them faster. You want to keep your core and legs in a tensed position, toes pointed down

Back