Jose Aldo to Edgar: "LW isnt as explosive as the FW Division

I disagree. LWs just have bigger names
You stick any current FW (aside from Edgar and Aldo) against LW's like Pettis, Diaz, Miller, and Maynard, and they're gonna get destroyed. And if you want proof LW is better, Frankie is easily better than anybody that Aldo has faced. Seriously, do you think Hominick would earn a title shot at LW if he was the size of a LW?
I've been saying this for a while. I think Edgar is better off at 55 than 45 because Edgar without a speed advantage, or hell even with a minimal speed advantage is not as effective. This is why I think he gets dominated by Aldo.
But at 145 Edgar's size is much more of an advantage, which means he can bully guys a bit easier with his wrestling. Besides that, it's not like Frankie was ever a speed fighter. If he's defined by any characteristics, it's wrestling and technicality. On top of that, Frankie will probably fight at the exact same weight on fight night, and his endurance has been tested, and it passed with flying colors, even after he got beat the heck out of by Maynard in their 1st title fight.

Hmm, LW is light years ahead of FW in terms of talented and skilled fighters...Comparing the divisions is ludicrous. LW is the most stacked division in the UFC.

Aldo seems worried to me.

When a normally quiet fighter starts running his mouth, it's usually due to anxiety over his upcoming opponent.

Son, Aldo runs his mouth quite a bit. He just does it in his native Portuguese and thus doesn't get the same press. But, Aldo is also respectful of other fighters so when he does talk it is about the fight and the sport, not the person.

You stick any current FW (aside from Edgar and Aldo) against LW's like Pettis, Diaz, Miller, and Maynard, and they're gonna get destroyed. And if you want proof LW is better, Frankie is easily better than anybody that Aldo has faced. Seriously, do you think Hominick would earn a title shot at LW if he was the size of a LW?

But at 145 Edgar's size is much more of an advantage, which means he can bully guys a bit easier with his wrestling. Besides that, it's not like Frankie was ever a speed fighter. If he's defined by any characteristics, it's wrestling and technicality. On top of that, Frankie will probably fight at the exact same weight on fight night, and his endurance has been tested, and it passed with flying colors, even after he got beat the heck out of by Maynard in their 1st title fight.

There is no way we can really test this so it's not eve worth discussing IMO. The top FWs have very advance skillsets just like the LWs. I disagree with the notion that one is better than the other. Elite fighters are elite for a reason. And their weight doesn't dictate that.

And Edgar's style is not based on "bullying" people around. Edgar style is based on using fast technical strikes and fast shots when they are off balanced. At this high level of fighting changing your style could be a major set back. And using his current style without the speed advantage will be hard or impossible to pull off against top FWs because they are fast enough to catch Edgar and counter. Unlike some of the LWs Edgar fought who was far to slow to do anything to him

Honestly, FW is following in the footsteps of LW. LW is a division where most of the top 30 could beat each other at any given time and always gains new contenders suddenly.

There is no way we can really test this so it's not eve worth discussing IMO. The top FWs have very advance skillsets just like the LWs. I disagree with the notion that one is better than the other. Elite fighters are elite for a reason. And their weight doesn't dictate that.

And Edgar's style is not based on "bullying" people around. Edgar style is based on using fast technical strikes and fast shots when they are off balanced. At this high level of fighting changing your style could be a major set back. And using his current style without the speed advantage will be hard or impossible to pull off against top FWs because they are fast enough to catch Edgar and counter. Unlike some of the LWs Edgar fought who was far to slow to do anything to him
Edgar's style isn't based around bullying people because he's been the smaller guy. I said I felt his style is based around technicality, well-timed boxing (well, I didn't say that part!), :icon_chee and technical wrestling.

However, now that Edgar isn't fight bigger guys, his technical wrestling will allow him to bully guys, much like how Cain, JBJ, and GSP bully guys with their wrestling at their respective weight classes.

Also, I don't think anybody at FW is much faster than Bendo.

Aldo just tooting his and his divisions own horn, you cant take that seriously. Hopefully Edgar takes the belt from him and humbles him up. There is a lot of noise coming from Aldo, a lot of noise.

Lol what 'noise' are you talking about? Jose always seems very composed and calm or very lighthearted and fun. Never have I seen or heard of him being some cocky, trash talking dude. He's simply stating why he thinks the challenger won't beat him for his title.

Edgar's style isn't based around bullying people because he's been the smaller guy. I said I felt his style is based around technicality, well-timed boxing (well, I didn't say that part!), :icon_chee and technical wrestling.

However, now that Edgar isn't fight bigger guys, his technical wrestling will allow him to bully guys, much like how Cain, JBJ, and GSP bully guys with their wrestling at their respective weight classes.

Also, I don't think anybody at FW is much faster than Bendo.

We will see. I'm using all speculation of course. If Edgar does indeed start bullying fools at FW it will be fun to watch either way. I just think Aldo is a bad matchup for him. He still is a badass though

I don't think Frankie is gonna have a size advantage at all. He was a small LW and he'll most likely be an average sized FW.

Aldo just tooting his and his divisions own horn, you cant take that seriously. Hopefully Edgar takes the belt from him and humbles him up. There is a lot of noise coming from Aldo, a lot of noise.

agree . edgar would do even better in 145

I wasn't THAT excited about this fight when it was announced but I am getting more hyped the closer we get to the fight. The entire card is CRAZY good!

Aldo
Edgar
Overeem Antonio Silva
Evans Diet Nog
Fitch Maia

That card is awesome. Were having lots of good fights to start the New year.

I've been saying this for a while. I think Edgar is better off at 55 than 45 because Edgar without a speed advantage, or hell even with a minimal speed advantage is not as effective. This is why I think he gets dominated by Aldo.

Maybe but on the flip side Edgar was basically taking down LW's with ease. If he goes that route with Aldo he could run into trouble.

Back