Jose Aldo to Edgar: "LW isnt as explosive as the FW Division

Lethal

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Aldo thinks that Edgar won't be fast enough when the two collide next month, and says that the former lightweight champion can't hang with fighters at 135 pounds.*

"He fought at a higher category where it isn't so explosive," said Aldo to MMA Junkie. "In featherweight, there's a lot of movement, a lot of explosion. Now he's going to fight people with the same kind of training and explosion that he has.

"The two were set to meet at*UFC 153*before Aldo went down with an injury after being involved in a motorcycle accident. The fight has been rescheduled to*UFC 156, where Aldo looks for his fourth title defense.
* Typo by the writer. Should say 145 pounds of course.

Full article here:
http://www.FightLine.com/fl/news/2013/0107/552477/jose-aldo/

Last edited:
Frank isn't just very fast though, he's extremly technical. That's why he has success fighting top guys in the deepest division that are also 2 weight classes bigger than him. That being said, Aldo takes this.

Does the octagon get rig up with C4 when FWs fight? I haven't noticed it before.

135 pounds? Since when did Aldo and Edgar drop down to bantamweight?

I've been saying this for a while. I think Edgar is better off at 55 than 45 because Edgar without a speed advantage, or hell even with a minimal speed advantage is not as effective. This is why I think he gets dominated by Aldo.

Can't really hold it against Aldo if he wants to talk up the division he's the standard-bearer for, but uhh...he almost had Josh Grispi as a title challenger. LW > FW

Thats debatable.

Aside from aldo, mendes and a few others most guys at 155 are just as quick.

Well I think Edgar takes this.....this is his natural weight as a fighter.....he was always a small lightweight.....he will give Aldo all he can take & more......Edgar by TKO round 4....

I've been saying this for a while. I think Edgar is better off at 55 than 45 because Edgar without a speed advantage, or hell even with a minimal speed advantage is not as effective. This is why I think he gets dominated by Aldo.

Yup. Sure, he gives up a hefty size advantage @ LW, but his speed advantage has more than made up for it.

At FW, just about everyone has comparable speed to Edgar.

FW is the division LW fighters run to when they can't handle the level of competition.

When you think Florian Mendes and Hominick you think explosive.

You guys make it sound like Frank relies on speed? He doesn't. He's extremely technical, and that is why he can compete with the lightweights, even though he probably could make bantam.

Aldo just tooting his and his divisions own horn, you cant take that seriously. Hopefully Edgar takes the belt from him and humbles him up. There is a lot of noise coming from Aldo, a lot of noise.

I actually dont see the speed difference being that large, but it'll be interesting to see how Edgar adapts to being in a new division. I still think it'll be better for him.

You guys make it sound like Frank relies on speed? He doesn't. He's extremely technical, and that is why he can compete with the lightweights, even though he probably could make bantam.

Frankie Edgar doesn't do what he does as effectively without his speed. It's that simple. Edgar is rag dolling people. Size plays a very small factor in his style. Speed does though

Frank isn't just very fast though, he's extremly technical. That's why he has success fighting top guys in the deepest division that are also 2 weight classes bigger than him. That being said, Aldo takes this.

So now it's two divisions up, is it? Edgar's a good fighter guys, but really.

Back