Jose Aldo respect thread my reasons..

You can easily consider him the greatest 145 pounder in the mma history sure. Now goat as in greatest of all time, depends on how you look at that meaning literally or in some other way.

You missed the point bro :)

As usual Aldo is getting a small amount of coverage in the mma media. I think about 80% of fighters, mma media in general had Jeremy Stephens picked as the winner, maybe 70% at UFC on fox 30. The betting odds favorite was Jeremy Stephens (15 -13 ufc record) a good match-up for Aldo. Stephens a slower less versatile striker especially compared to Conor McGregor, Max Holloway and Aldo himself. Holloway and Mcgregor the only men Aldo ever encoutered that got the better of him in striking fight in any competitive format. How anyone would look at Aldo's body of work and come to the conclusion that Stephens was a better striker seems to be short memories, or just counting someone out. A couple of fights is enough to change peoples whole outlook on someones career. What did happen is Aldo had of course the most famous one punch mma KO loss in history in a super viewed event and then got bested by the young lion(Holloway) in two wars that Aldo won rounds 1 and 2 in both matches.(Arguably) Went out on his shield both times in competitive matches. Also in that time he picked apart Frankie Edgar in a 5 round masterful performance but quickly forgotten after the three losses. McGregor nothing needs to be said about his credentials and current champ who I think has a long legendary career ahead of him Max Holloway is nothing to be ashamed about in losing to them.
These fighters, Aldo included are on a level that Jeremy Stephens has never reached and probably will never reach(Maybe what do i know). Aldo is 27 and 4 he's only loss to three people two of them you already know the other was early in his career and he's only 31! That's the pime age for any great athlete. Aldo got over looked it happens but I don't know how many people picked against him. I know it was alot but I don't have any stats maybe some of you do. Stephens got beat with a beautiful 1-2 to the body taking out Stephens who's tough as any fighter in the UFC. Aldo is the 2nd or third best guy at 145. Holloway obviously number one and probably Ortega number 2 right now but Aldo isn't even close to leaving the top 3 right now.
Aldo doesn't speak english and he's very proud and patriotic, grew up poor made it out of poverty and turned himself into one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time, the old rags to riches story but through the insane sport of MMA. This doesn't come out very much in the US mma media and I wish it would, he's a humble, noble family man and still very motivated to being great you can feel it in his interviews in portuguese. Well i'm sure I've bored most of you by now I just felt like a Aldo respect thread should be done. Remind or let newer fans know what Aldo has done in his career. Simply put very few errors in a long high level career. Anyway if anyone disagrees or agrees with what I've said i'd like to hear your thoughts. And who should be next for Aldo?

Great thread in my opinion. Petits at 155 is the fight i would love to see aldo in to answer to your last question

You should do a paragraph appreciate thread.

MiserlyHalfKodiakbear.gif

WAR Aldo Always

Ortega isn’t number 2 at FW imo, btw. I think jose’s a terrible stylistic match up for him.
Exactly. Ortega KO'd a chinny Frankie Edgat and became the 100th person ti submit Cub. He's not beating Aldo (yet) or Max. Moicano was beating him before going for the takedown.

Aldo went 25-0 at 145, with 9 world title defenses, before being defeated in that division - a division which is easily one of the deepest divisions in the sport, since the deepest talent pool is LW and FW is only one class away on the demographic bell curve.

He got a loooooooooooooooooooong way up one of the steepest mountains before he stumbled.

Even my favourite fighter Jonny Bones hasn't passed him yet - with only 23-0 and only 8 defenses at 205 (and 2 of those were against MWs), a shallower talent pool than 145. Khabib is doing great stuff in the deepest division, at 26-0, but had zero title defenses.

Anyone who has Aldo lower than #3 in the GOAT rankings doesn't know shit about MMA.

Last edited:
I try not to have favorite fighters now and just follow the sport, but Aldo is and always will be the first fighter I called myself a fan of.

He had a big impact on me as a young fan of the sport.

Exciting to watch... legend at 145. Shoot. The guy still has fight left in him...

As usual Aldo is getting a small amount of coverage in the mma media. I think about 80% of fighters, mma media in general had Jeremy Stephens picked as the winner, maybe 70% at UFC on fox 30. The betting odds favorite was Jeremy Stephens (15 -13 ufc record) a good match-up for Aldo. Stephens a slower less versatile striker especially compared to Conor McGregor, Max Holloway and Aldo himself. Holloway and Mcgregor the only men Aldo ever encoutered that got the better of him in striking fight in any competitive format. How anyone would look at Aldo's body of work and come to the conclusion that Stephens was a better striker seems to be short memories, or just counting someone out. A couple of fights is enough to change peoples whole outlook on someones career. What did happen is Aldo had of course the most famous one punch mma KO loss in history in a super viewed event and then got bested by the young lion(Holloway) in two wars that Aldo won rounds 1 and 2 in both matches.(Arguably) Went out on his shield both times in competitive matches. Also in that time he picked apart Frankie Edgar in a 5 round masterful performance but quickly forgotten after the three losses. McGregor nothing needs to be said about his credentials and current champ who I think has a long legendary career ahead of him Max Holloway is nothing to be ashamed about in losing to them.
These fighters, Aldo included are on a level that Jeremy Stephens has never reached and probably will never reach(Maybe what do i know). Aldo is 27 and 4 he's only loss to three people two of them you already know the other was early in his career and he's only 31! That's the pime age for any great athlete. Aldo got over looked it happens but I don't know how many people picked against him. I know it was alot but I don't have any stats maybe some of you do. Stephens got beat with a beautiful 1-2 to the body taking out Stephens who's tough as any fighter in the UFC. Aldo is the 2nd or third best guy at 145. Holloway obviously number one and probably Ortega number 2 right now but Aldo isn't even close to leaving the top 3 right now.
Aldo doesn't speak english and he's very proud and patriotic, grew up poor made it out of poverty and turned himself into one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time, the old rags to riches story but through the insane sport of MMA. This doesn't come out very much in the US mma media and I wish it would, he's a humble, noble family man and still very motivated to being great you can feel it in his interviews in portuguese. Well i'm sure I've bored most of you by now I just felt like a Aldo respect thread should be done. Remind or let newer fans know what Aldo has done in his career. Simply put very few errors in a long high level career. Anyway if anyone disagrees or agrees with what I've said i'd like to hear your thoughts. And who should be next for Aldo?

Aldo is awesome, though I think he's in a part of his career where Fedor is. He's doing sloppy brawling and getting hit way too much.

He could have easily lost against Stephens with the number of bombs he took.

It's a bad ass style to watch and it makes for fun as fuck fights, though it's clear he's past his prime.

Even though he's only 31, he has been fighting forever and has been in some nasty wars.

It's definitely interesting to see where he'll go.

I still think he can get the belt. Anyone that gets punched in the mouth hard enough and on the right spot can be KO'd and he decked the fuck out of Max in both fights. Props to Holloway on having a solid chin but it can still be cracked with the right punch.

If he can get his cardio back to what it used to be, he might be able to get that strap again. I don't think he's as quick as he used to be, though. He's much more hittable now.

Aldo is the best FW besides Max . And also he is the FW GOAT and one of the greatest mma fighters to ever step foot inside the octagon

I wonder why you can't start a José Aldo appreciation thread without Conor fans posting pics of his loss. Every fighter loses one day.

That shit reeks of insecurity.

Last edited:

Love watching Aldo fight and believe he is one of the best to fight in MMA. One of the best front runners in MMA, once he started dominating and getting his feel in the first round there wasn't much chance given to his opponent. I remember everyone thinking the next opponent would always be the one to beat Aldo, many thought Hominick with his great boxing and kickboxing skills would be enough, then people thought Chad's wrestling or Edgar's boxing would get through however Aldo prevailed and often dominated his opponent throughout the fight. I remember watching the Faber fight with mates and wincing with each leg kick, I wanted Aldo to win but damn he just hammered that leg over and over.

Would love to see a rematch with Conor, I am normally not in favour of rematches unless its a close controversial decision or a quick KO, as I believe dominating a fighter for more than a round should never lead to a rematch. Unfortunately even though Conor respects Aldo with what he has achieved, the things he said to promote the fight sticks in the mind of some of Conor's fans and they continue to disrespect Aldo based on what Conor used to say rather than look at his body of work. Both deserve credit for their careers in this awesome sport of MMA, some just need to realise that you can be a fan of both Conor and his opponent.

wonder if that lil bitch Toner has made a new account yet, after getting banned twice.

i used to like aldo though, before he showed how delusional and salty he was. he is the best FW resume/career wise, conor and max are just better fighters with the perfect styles to beat him.

We will never really know that with Conor really, Aldo lunged forward uncharacteristically over extended and both guys landed a huge hook on eachother. Aldo on paper is the more well rounded fighter with the more complete skill set. All that fight showed was Conor can knock him out if he lands a shot Aldo doesn't see coming and Aldo showed he can hit Conor too.

Had Conor given the rematch he had promised and Aldo managed to contain his emotions then we would know for sure who is actually the better fighter cause right now we really don't.

Back