Jose Aldo is so slept on and disrespected

One of the best, ever.

Stop whining, he was only slept for 13 seconds.

The only thing I disagree with you on is that Jose isn’t top2-3 at FW and top 15 AT. He’s the clear #1 FW AT and should be recognized as viable for any spot 1-7 P4P AT. His accomplishments at FW are head and shoulders above everybody. Only Max is even close to his FW stature IMO

Anyone denying Aldo's legacy is just being biased. The man accomplished a lot and he's still ticking. He didn't retire after a couple losses and go on a drug fueled manic spree. He came back and gave us some great fights unlike other "champions."

While round 5 was the only one Hominick clearly won, it was a competitive fight. Hominick brought it on.

And there's no comparing Hominick to Gus and Hendricks. They're not gatekeepers - one is a former UFC champ ffs, the other has fought for a title 3 times and nearly won 2 of those fights, IIRC he lost a split to DC. So Gus is not a "gatekeeper" lol

Gatekeepers are active. Gus hasn't fought enough to become one. Soon.

Aldo is the shit

Only dummies would claim otherwise

My issue with Aldo are his shady run-ins with USADA and his tendency to pull out of fights. Top 10 AT in the cage though.

I believe that some Aldo fans use Conor as a scapegoat for their own frustrations over Aldo's career. Aldo began neglecting leg kicks and became boring long before Conor was in the UFC.

He's good but McGregor took his spot at 145, imo.

1 McGregor 2 Aldo 3 Faber

Unfortunately the UFC became a popularity and unpopularity contest with regard to GOAT and comments about fighters. Aldo didn't help himself by not trying to learn English better (or speak it more often if he was able) to improve his popularity. Many of the highest level fighters (and most popular) are in his division (or were in it for a time period). This is just my personal opinion, but I feel his competition was definitely higher than GSP's (when we include WEC). He finished more fights against high level competition than GSP as well.

He definitely is a Top 5 GOAT for his prime.

I'm not sleeping on him but I think hes over the hill.

As far as all time great? Yea hes up there. I think literally everyone agrees so I dont really understand the thread

There was a time in MMA history where people honestly weren't sure who was better, Jose Aldo or Jon Jones.

In 2011 Jon Jones captured the UFC LHW championship belt, becoming the youngest Zuffa era fighter to hold gold at 23.

Two years earlier Jose Aldo destroyed Micheal Thomas Brown to become the youngest ever Zuffa champion (WEC) at 23.

Aldo went on a 9 fight win streak from there, beating the likes Frankie Edgar, Chad Mendes x2, Kenny Florian and Uriah Faber. And with the exception of the second Mendes fight, none of then were particularly close. Aldos takedown defense was the stuff of legends, and long with his hands, knees and jabs - his only weakness at the time was the tendency to lead with his rear hand wildly and his poor gas tank. He was talked about in the same sentences as Jones, GSP, Fedor and Anderson - the four guys everyone with a brain acknowledge as being objectively better than everyone else.

Then came Conor, who tortured him with world play for what seemed like a full year world tour, and then stopped him in thirteen seconds. What came after were a myriad of lower body injuries the mysterious abduction of his low kicks, some more reported than others then two curb stompings by Max Holloway. But none of that takes away from the fact that the peak of Aldo's career was nearly as high as anyones in the sports history

People legitimately pick Renato and Stephen's over him in recent fights before he showed that even one foot out the door hes still easily a top 5 type FW fighter.

He recently posted that he wants to fight out his current contract and retire. Dude will retire a legend, and one of the 15 best MMA fighters to place them up and inarguably one of the two or three best FWs ever.
Slept on from new / casual fans who reminisce his 13 second knockout loss. In reality he’s the goat featherweight.

There was a time in MMA history where people honestly weren't sure who was better, Jose Aldo or Jon Jones.

In 2011 Jon Jones captured the UFC LHW championship belt, becoming the youngest Zuffa era fighter to hold gold at 23.

Two years earlier Jose Aldo destroyed Micheal Thomas Brown to become the youngest ever Zuffa champion (WEC) at 23.

Aldo went on a 9 fight win streak from there, beating the likes Frankie Edgar, Chad Mendes x2, Kenny Florian and Uriah Faber. And with the exception of the second Mendes fight, none of then were particularly close. Aldos takedown defense was the stuff of legends, and long with his hands, knees and jabs - his only weakness at the time was the tendency to lead with his rear hand wildly and his poor gas tank. He was talked about in the same sentences as Jones, GSP, Fedor and Anderson - the four guys everyone with a brain acknowledge as being objectively better than everyone else.

Then came Conor, who tortured him with world play for what seemed like a full year world tour, and then stopped him in thirteen seconds. What came after were a myriad of lower body injuries the mysterious abduction of his low kicks, some more reported than others then two curb stompings by Max Holloway. But none of that takes away from the fact that the peak of Aldo's career was nearly as high as anyones in the sports history

People legitimately pick Renato and Stephen's over him in recent fights before he showed that even one foot out the door hes still easily a top 5 type FW fighter.

He recently posted that he wants to fight out his current contract and retire. Dude will retire a legend, and one of the 15 best MMA fighters to place them up and inarguably one of the two or three best FWs ever.

great post, and i agree. the one thing that hurt him from being talked about among the greats, is his lack of speaking english, and not doing enough to connect with the fans. i know that none of that should matter when talking about the greatest, but a personality that someone can connect to does go a long way in being remembered.

Last edited:
Aldo didn't really fight popular fighters

Agreed. At first it was mostly McGregor fans in the lead up to their showdown. But now it’s McGregor haters to downplay the win.

Neither Holloway nor McGregor beat him via size. They both outstruck him with technique.

Which their sized helped them do. I'm one of the biggest Max fans around. He's fucking awesome, but I echo the sentiment of the other guy. Conor can't make the weight anymore and Max is taking fights at a higher weight class and might have had some unfortunate brain issues due to the severity of the cut. It is, what it is.

Back