Jose Aldo: "I feel devalued by my income"

were not debating how a business works. of coarse its to maximize profits.

the question we need to anwer is the UFC bussiness model helping or hurting the sport.

Is that the question? I thought the question was whether or not the UFC was hurting Jose Aldo?

The UFC is clearly not hurting the sport. As I already mentioned, under evil Zuffa the UFC and MMA in general has become far more popular than it was before them. Little organizations benefit from how profitable the UFC is, which is something fighter pay whiners never think about. The UFC spends the most money advertising their product, by far. They created interest in the sport, and that interest keeps not only them afloat, but lots of other organizations, too. Do you think that without the years of groundwork and millions upon millions of dollars the UFC pumped into garnering interest in MMA, that there'd be as many little regional organizations that there are? I don't. They created interest in the sport that just didn't exist. The UFC has helped MMA grow tremendously by being greedy.

I don't know a single person who is actually fully satisfied with their earnings. Everyone wants to make at least a bit more. So it's understandable. :p

"What matters inside there is how we fight"

What movie did Aldo learn this from?

thing is the guy wasnt fighting in the prelims. he was headlining the PPV and was in the main event in the premier MMA org in the world.

what fighter are we talking about?

He has been the champion forever, don't champions contracts never run out, how can he make demands if he can't be a free agent without losing? I'm guessing he could find someone else to pay 120/120K if he was allowed to shop the market.

The champion rule states that a title holders contract is automatically extended for 3 fights after winning the title.

So yeah, he can actually renegotiate the terms on a fight by fight basis.

He has been the champion forever, don't champions contracts never run out, how can he make demands if he can't be a free agent without losing? I'm guessing he could find someone else to pay 120/120K if he was allowed to shop the market.

That's basically right, if that's true about champion contracts (I don't know).

I'm not sure why people talk about fighters as though they're on a different planet than the rest of us. Like you said: he's welcome to shop around and find a better offer if he's offended by what he's getting paid now.

thing is the guy wasnt fighting in the prelims. he was headlining the PPV and was in the main event in the premier MMA org in the world.

You mentioned an $8k fighter; I was responding to that. Jose Aldo isn't making $8k, he's making $120k + PPV points.

Boo hoo. Be more exciting and sell some PPVs if you want more.

I usually side with the fighters on these matters but 120k/120k is not bad money and it's not like Aldo is a huge draw. I do believe he should get more money than say, a Lawler or a Barnett though (don't know how much exactly they get but these were the ones mentioned in the first pages of the thread so I'm going by the posters' words).

Mayweather made $14,815 per second and $888,889 per minute for his last fight.

Not that Aldo is anywhere near as popular as Floyd, but it puts that 120k/120k into perspective.

Is that the question? I thought the question was whether or not the UFC was hurting Jose Aldo?

The UFC is clearly not hurting the sport. As I already mentioned, under evil Zuffa the UFC and MMA in general has become far more popular than it was before them. Little organizations benefit from how profitable the UFC is, which is something fighter pay whiners never think about. The UFC spends the most money advertising their product, by far. They created interest in the sport, and that interest keeps not only them afloat, but lots of other organizations, too. Do you think that without the years of groundwork and millions upon millions of dollars the UFC pumped into garnering interest in MMA, that there'd be as many little regional organizations that there are? I don't. They created interest in the sport that just didn't exist. The UFC has helped MMA grow tremendously by being greedy.

ok stop, Im agreeing with you that much in this thread Im beginning to feel dirty lol

were not debating how a business works. of coarse its to maximize profits.

the question we need to anwer is the UFC bussiness model helping or hurting the sport.

obviously it is helping.. we have more mixed martial artists then ever before. Almost every one of those fighters dream to be in the ufc (other then a few obviously).

there are thousands of MMA gyms all over making a ton of people money.

If it was hurting the sport it wouldn't exist.

the UFC made MMA what it is today... you can argue about what product you personally enjoyed the most but that has nothing to do with what is good for the sport.

They make up less than 10% of the threads on the forum, and 99% of the time it's pretty obvious what it's going to be from the title... why do you enter threads you don't want to read?

Yawn, you're boring me even more than the thread topic.

Fighters who are good trash talkers seem to be becoming more marketable. But that doesn't seem fair either, looking at what aldo said about doing everything he can. Someone like him must train like crazy every day and get busted up in the process. These guys deserve to be getting a better percentage. Thats the only reasonable solution.

Mayweather made $14,815 per second and $888,889 per minute for his last fight.

Not that Aldo is anywhere near as popular as Floyd, but it puts that 120k/120k into perspective.

Floyd is the biggest draw in all of combat sports, he also is his own boss.... so he gets a cut of the promotion and a big share of the PPV. thats not a good comparison

The champion rule states that a title holders contract is automatically extended for 3 fights after winning the title.

So yeah, he can actually renegotiate the terms on a fight by fight basis.

So a fighter can win the title and after 3 defenses leave for another organization or it extends so they have a minimum of 3 fights after every defense. If it is the later, then they don't really have any leverage in the renegotiations, if you can't threaten to leave for another organization.

Back