Jose Aldo: "I feel devalued by my income"

There are many MMA organizations in existence now, on every continent. Plenty of choices. If he's truly worth more, someone will pay it.

Problem is, he's not. If he can find someone to guarantee him more than a quarter of a million dollars (+ PPV points?) every time he fights, by all means, go work for them (when your contract is up)! Fact is the UFC pays him well when compared to what he'd make elsewhere. And if they don't, he's free to leave and look for greener pastures elsewhere.

There's a reason few people volunteer to leave the UFC: they may not make NFL money, but it sure as shit beats the competition.

I'm right there with you. Except for the avatar. That's right there with Freddie Krueger's face. Either way, nobody else is paying as good as the UFC. If they are then some of these fighters need to quit signing contracts for UFC and push into other organizations. Take Gilbert Melendez for example for christ sakes. He's not a UFC champion but Bellator was willing to pay him more, so UFC matches and kept him. If they REALLY think they are worth more they will go get more.

Nobody is going to pay ANYONE more than they HAVE to. In any form of business.

Lol at thinking that Jose doesn't deserve 120k.
Jamie Varner should be making 120k per fight, the champions should be making over 1 million a fight.

I didnt say he doesnt deserve 120k..... and no they shouldnt unless they draw viewers in. if Aldo did he would make millions per fight(GSP made 5million per fight)

which is fine.

what confounds me is when the premier MMA org in the world is selling a PPV to fans that is headlined by a part time fighter who is being paid $8000 to show up.

doesn't seem to be like a reasonable or fair thing to do with respect to the sport or its fans.

Because no-name prelim fighters aren't worth more than that. Let's be honest, they are filler. Maybe one or two of those guys will make his way to the main card one day, and his pay will increase in turn. The rest will go nowhere with their careers, and likely be cut, where they'll end up making $1000/$1000 for some regional organization.

$8k/$8k is premier money for what are essentially replaceable fighters.

Holy fuck, another retarded thread about fighter pay. Delete this mods, please.

perhaps you may think so at this point in time. things are going well. i doubt that your company would have the same sentiments as you if you werent a useful employee in the future.

i doubt they would keep you on because you were a loyal employee in the past if you were a deterance to their bottom line.

why would I deserve more money if I was a deterance to a companies bottom line.. I would deserve to be fired...

I mentioned this before but it really seems like you don't understand business at all... if you cost a company money why would they pay you.

Noone deserves anything.. that is what is wrong with todays society... You deserve to have the oppurtunity to better yourself. which obviously these fighters had since most of them wouldn't be making much money with their intellect without mma.

Its like Brazilians have never heard of contracts. I mean I'm sure Sonnen was wrong when he suggested that all Brazilians play in mud, don't have computers and feed carrots to buses but was he?

Maybe he wasn't.

This really is basically what it comes down to. We can argue "what he's worth", "what he makes for the UFC" or "what he deserves" until we're blue in the face. The point is if he wants more, which is perfectly reasonable, he should demand it come next contract negotiation.

If he doesn't get it he can find another job. It's not much more complicated than that. People bitching about what they make at work isn't particularly new.

Where are the "locker room bonuses"?

3664528-5059441657-78793.gif

Lol at thinking that Jose doesn't deserve 120k.
Jamie Varner should be making 120k per fight, the champions should be making over 1 million a fight.

LMAO :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Why should they do that if they don't have to? That's not how a business works--they don't willingly take a huge hit to their profits.

These guys aren't slaves. If they're more valuable to someone else than they are to the UFC, feel free to go there. It works for a couple of guys--for example, Rampage--because they are actually valuable. Maybe Aldo is valuable, too. More valuable than $240k + PPV points. If he believes that, he should go find whoever it is that believes him, too.

were not debating how a business works. of coarse its to maximize profits.

the question we need to anwer is the UFC bussiness model helping or hurting the sport.

This really is basically what it comes down to. We can argue "what he's worth", "what he makes for the UFC" or "what he deserves" until we're blue in the face. The point is if he wants more, which is perfectly reasonable, he should demand it come next contract negotiation.

If he doesn't get it he can find another job. It's not much more complicated than that. People bitching about what they make at work isn't particularly new.

He has been the champion forever, don't champions contracts never run out, how can he make demands if he can't be a free agent without losing? I'm guessing he could find someone else to pay 120/120K if he was allowed to shop the market.

I didnt say he doesnt deserve 120k..... and no they shouldnt unless they draw viewers in. if Aldo did he would make millions per fight(GSP made 5million per fight)

It'd be funny to see how quickly these guys would drive the UFC into the ground if they implemented their naive pay structures.

P.S. You make a lot of sense with regards to this topic. Are you sure you really like Bisping?

I feel for the guy. If MMA was like any other sport in which pay was based on skills he would be one of the highest paid fighters of all time. However, it has more to do with selling ability and he you can barley break 200k in ppv sales, you wont be making that much.

Tough spot.

Thats a top 3 P4P fighter, so makes just over 500K a year assuming he wins two title defenses a year which is no small task considering that means he should be fighting nothing but the toughest of challengers. Throw in taxes and the paying of coaches and that number continues to shrink. The truth is i'm going to make a better leaving than almost every UFC fighter at 155 and below that hasn't been a champion. For a sport that leaves you with a rough senior citizenship and features the best of the best, that's a depressing realization.

Did you ignore sponsors?

Edit: Oh and the performance of the night bonuses?

It'd be funny to see how quickly these guys would drive the UFC into the ground if they implemented their naive pay structures.

P.S. You make a lot of sense with regards to this topic. Are you sure you really like Bisping?

lol whats me liking Bisping got to do with this?:icon_chee also I always make sense... its the rest of you guys that are mental lol

Holy fuck, another retarded thread about fighter pay. Delete this mods, please.

They make up less than 10% of the threads on the forum, and 99% of the time it's pretty obvious what it's going to be from the title... why do you enter threads you don't want to read?

The guy is the best fighter on the planet and you are comparing him the average Brazilian. What if he came from a generally richer country, should that affect his salary? No! So why bring his nationality into this in the first place!

He makes 120k to show, 120 to win, so that is 240k IF he wins, so please read the article and stop pulling numbers out of your ass.

Can't believe there are so many people in this thread supporting the best fighter in the world getting paid 120k to show (plus ppv points) by a 3 billion dollar company... and they wonder why the quality of MMA fighters is crap.

Numbers out of my ass? I was exactly right. He gets paid 250k every fight he's had in to he UFC he's never lost.

If you want I'll just use US as an example, average income is 50k so Aldo before any of his other income gets what an American takes 5-years to get in one fight.

Sorry I don't feel much sympathy for someone complaining about money when they've made 750k in the last year just on fight pay alone before PPV points or anything. When I myself make $12 bucks an hour as I go through college.

Because no-name prelim fighters aren't worth more than that. Let's be honest, they are filler. Maybe one or two of those guys will make his way to the main card one day, and his pay will increase in turn. The rest will go nowhere with their careers, and likely be cut, where they'll end up making $1000/$1000 for some regional organization.

$8k/$8k is premier money for what are essentially replaceable fighters.

thing is the guy wasnt fighting in the prelims. he was headlining the PPV and was in the main event in the premier MMA org in the world.

Back