Jose Aldo: "I feel devalued by my income"

I usually side with the fighters on these matters but 120k/120k is not bad money and it's not like Aldo is a huge draw. I do believe he should get more money than say, a Lawler or a Barnett though (don't know how much exactly they get but these were the ones mentioned in the first pages of the thread so I'm going by the posters' words).

Maybe if he started to fight to win like his WEC days. Right now he doesn't deserve shit. If I was the UFC I would pay him 25k per fight for the shit he's pulling

A machida fan has the nerve to say this? That's hilarious

I guess it depends on what you mean by "deserve".

He isn't that big of a draw, and no other MMA company on Earth will pay him more, so I can't really say he deserves more even if he is a great fighter.

It's a little tough, because he probably could stand to make more. But you're talking about a guy who isn't a draw, making $240,000 per win + PPV points. If his PPV sold serious numbers, his pay would go up dramatically, as would his sponsorships as advertisers would notice the pop he brings.

I get the criticism. But it's on him to become the next GSP, Chuck, or Anderson. Maybe he could argue he gets a big pop from Globo in Brazil when he fights, if that could be proven. Even then, network money is a different animal.

If he's creating a significantly larger revenue than what he's being compensated with he has a good point. I hope he's paid in line with the money he produces.

It's not really a ethnically argument about how much fighting should be valued in a perfect world. He's a business and if he's creating a large revenue for his contractor he should receive a large portion of it.

Wow, luck and greed? That's a shock.

Welcome to every business ever. If the UFC wasn't greedy, it wouldn't exist right now. Every MMA organization, every football team, every corporation is greedy. They're not charities.

which is fine.

what confounds me is when the premier MMA org in the world is selling a PPV to fans that is headlined by a part time fighter who is being paid $8000 to show up.

doesn't seem to be like a reasonable or fair thing to do with respect to the sport or its fans.

What is your point? I think kids in china should make more then they do also. Im guessing you think they should just go make shoes for another company if they dont like their pay?

reaching much? how are UFC fighters and child workers in China even remotely comparable?

It might seem unfair to some but a fighter's worth is determined by far more than being skilled and amassing victories. Jose Aldo is an amazing fighter but when it comes to fighter pay there is only one thing that really matters, and that's how many viewers the person can draw. Aldo simply is not a big draw. The reality is that your casual fan wants to see more than just great fighters. They want a personality, somebody they have a reason to either pull for or against. Aldo doesn't bring that to the table.

The ufc is going to pay a little as they can get away with. They have all the leverage and they use it to under pay their atheletes because they can.

Yeah and they are 3billion dollar company now and pay fighters less than 20% of their profit revenue. Don't give me this they were running a loss 10 years ago crap. And where are fighters supposed to get this extra money to hire legal help when they get paid crap in the first place. On top of that, it isn't a matter of quality legal help it's a matter of fighters having no leverage in MMA because the UFC is so powerful and sets a crap standard.

oh thats amazing.. I have never seen them give out the profits they make.

do you have a source for this statement? I would be shocked if 20 % of the PROFITS meaning after every expense is only going to the fighters.

What is your point? I think kids in china should make more then they do also. Im guessing you think they should just go make shoes for another company if they dont like their pay?

Oh, so now we're comparing the UFC to forced child labor? I'm anxiously awaiting your next move: the UFC is essentially a Nazist organization!

Kids workingbin sweat shops and ufc fighters are both underpaid because the people setting their wages have all the leverage.

Lol at "everyone wants to watch my fights" Jose consistently pulls in the worst PPV numbers of any champ.

Jose Aldo makes 250k a fight before PPV points, or post fight awards, or sponsors, or signings, or anything.

That's more than the average Brazilian makes in 25-years.

The guy is the best fighter on the planet and you are comparing him the average Brazilian. What if he came from a generally richer country, should that affect his salary? No! So why bring his nationality into this in the first place!

He makes 120k to show, 120 to win, so that is 240k IF he wins, so please read the article and stop pulling numbers out of your ass.

Can't believe there are so many people in this thread supporting the best fighter in the world getting paid 120k to show (plus ppv points) by a 3 billion dollar company... and they wonder why the quality of MMA fighters is crap.

lol @ people thinking that champs only make the bogus amount listed in the UFC revenue reports...

You really think Barao was making 12k/12k in his title defneses? lmao

the fight game is kind of a grimey one and a lot of money changes hands in the form of cash filled briefcases you know what i mean?

Thats 120/120 before taxes, gym payments, management payments, medical payments etc. You can easily half that.

he gets medical insurance which is paid for by the UFC. so thats BS

so 10% each to his team and managers, everyone pays tax so thats hardly something to bitch about. he still makes mega bucks in comparison to his WEC days

probably.. but that is being a shit head... they pay me pretty well... I am only 25... I will make more in the future.

perhaps you may think so at this point in time. things are going well. i doubt that your company would have the same sentiments as you if you werent a useful employee in the future.

i doubt they would keep you on because you were a loyal employee in the past if you were a deterance to their bottom line.

I used to be an opera singer and a damn good one. But I'm a bass and basses don't make tenor money. Didn't matter that I was a better singer than +90% of all tenors in the business, people pay to hear dem high C's. That's life. Aldo should stop being such an emo whiner.

You ever perform at the Wentz concert hall? I went to school there.

lol at a fighter complaining about 120k/120k with an entitlement to PPV points on top

cry me a river Jose

Lol at thinking that Jose doesn't deserve 120k.
Jamie Varner should be making 120k per fight, the champions should be making over 1 million a fight.

Sorry, Who signed the contract?

Back