News Jorge Masvidal "UFC is making the BMF belt... it was Nate's idea..."

The reason it would be a "cash grab" is because it appeals to a large demographic. There are plenty of people that value the divisional titles, and rankings, and rightful title-shots(self included). Still there is something very appealing and interesting to me about fights that have no bearing on the rankings/real-title implications, that are purely fanservice/fan-friendly match-ups between two guys that are live-dogs in any fight...yet probably not quite good enough to work the ladder and win a real title.

Would the Diaz/Condit fight have been the same, for example, if there weren't MAJOR title implications looming over it?

I don't know man, I get where you're coming from, but to me MMA needs something like this to shake it up and keep it interesting and fun.

Give me naked WMMA BJJ tournaments in kiddie pools full up on jello or mud then.

Can't wait for the winner to put it on ebay in 5 years after running out of money.

It's already an entertaining matchup without having to make a fake title out of it. If I were them, I'd rather they just take whatever a belt costs and add it to my purse than spend it on an belt that doesn't mean anything.

Give me naked WMMA BJJ tournaments in kiddie pools full up on jello or mud then.
I mean, as soon as they find some more attractive WMMA fighters, I'd be all for that too bruh.

This is a fun fight and all, but I dont see how Nate will even be competitive.

Interim champion just means you are the #1 contender for the title....

Right so what part about that is confusing?

If two contenders - at least one of which would otherwise be fighting the current champion for the title - have to fight because the champion is unavailable due to injury or other absence, it makes sense to have an interim belt.

If the champion doesn't fight the interim champion within a reasonable time, they are stripped and the interim becomes the actual belt. This is what happened with Barao and Cruz.

I actually like that they formalize #1 contenders when the champion has an extended absence. What is annoying is they don't always honor it. That part I find ridiculous.

just an awesome fight tainted by a stupid and childish title.
Actually it's totally fine and pretty cool to see the ufc doing something to commemerate a bout between two longtime vets who are well known top fighters. Your view on this is what's tainted. And you yourself are a taint for taking this so seriously.

A fight for the Baddest Motherfucker title between two guys with a combined 25 losses.

.... and a combined 54 wins. Both guys have winning UFC records and are perennially ranked. Nate won the ultimate fighter, is tied for second place for most submissions, fought for the title and has 8 "off the night" bonuses.

Masvidal is coming off the fastest (and most preposterous) KO in UFC history, on the back of being the first person to ever KO Darren Till.

The idea is that these are two guys who fight to finish, not to score points. Nobody is arguing they are the best at scoring points in MMA fights, they are arguing these two guys are the most willing to go for it.

It's a fun marketing spin to make up a "one and done" belt, its just a trinket / trophy. I think they should do this once a year with a different matchup.

Not sure why people are pissing on the idea.
Yeah exactly, its a bit of fun, and it gives another angle to the fight.
End of the day, as long as the fight is good and dramatic and entertaining, that's the Be All and End All for me.

-- I think it'd be hard for a Nate vs Masvidal fight to be dull in any way, before / during / after the fight.
That get's my vote!

.... and a combined 54 wins. Both guys have winning UFC records and are perennially ranked. Nate won the ultimate fighter, is tied for second place for most submissions, fought for the title and has 8 "off the night" bonuses.

Masvidal is coming off the fastest (and most preposterous) KO in UFC history, on the back of being the first person to ever KO Darren Till.

The idea is that these are two guys who fight to finish, not to score points. Nobody is arguing they are the best at scoring points in MMA fights, they are arguing these two guys are the most willing to go for it.

It's a fun marketing spin to make up a "one and done" belt, its just a trinket / trophy. I think they should do this once a year with a different matchup.
Just because Masvidal has gotten a few finishes lately doesn't mean he's a big finisher, he has 17 decisions and 17 finishes.

I'm not knocking the fight, it's gonna be a great fight, I just don't know why they have to put a dumb belt on it, this is the type of stuff MMA fans (and the UFC and Dana) used to make fun of boxing for with fake belts.

just an awesome fight tainted by a stupid and childish title.
You are the one who is childish and stupid. This is a pivotal moment in the annals of badassery.

Just because Masvidal has gotten a few finishes lately doesn't mean he's a big finisher, he has 17 decisions and 17 finishes.

Nobody argued he's historically a "big finisher," I verbatim said he just had the fastest KO in UFC history, and that was on the heels of being the first and only person to KO Darren Till.

Momentum is a thing.

I'm not knocking the fight, it's gonna be a great fight, I just don't know why they have to put a dumb belt on it, this is the type of stuff MMA fans (and the UFC and Dana) used to make fun of boxing for with fake belts.

Obviously its not a real title or belt, its a fun trophy. It has nothing to do with rankings or the real title, outside of two contenders fighting each other. I think it would be fun if they did stuff like this with different opponents every year.

How does making fun of stupid shit make you serious? How is making fun of stupid shit suddenly bad? I thought that was a very human thing. Apparently not.

i'm not talking about making fun of it, that's anyone's fair opinion. but there are mentions of the UFC losing legitimacy and it tainting the fight and comparing it to alphabet titles in boxing. it's not meant to be a serious thing.

That belch belongs to one man

20180629-43Xr1T1pqIeQmt8gR8EN

What Punk did was actually badder than pitty patter fighters mouthing off.

He gave up all that wealth, fame, cushioned WWE rankings to pursue UFC.

This is a good one off fight. I have to say though that I prefer them fighting people they really don't like. I find that just as entertaining but this should be a fun fight to watch.

After this one can we do press conferences where the Champions have their belts on the table and Colby and Nate/Joge bring their toy belts as well.

Maybe Conor can bring a Gucci Mink belt.

I despise the whole concept of an "interim" belt..what does that even mean? they aren't the champion, yet, if they win, they become a champion? how is that any different than in boxing, where they have numerous champions in the same weight...years ago, there was one champion in every division...now, there is like 4. now the ufc is starting to do that same shit...

Interim champion just means you are the #1 contender for the title....how can you become champion, unless you beat the champion? You can't...
A lot of the time champions can't fight for whatever reason, UFC needs Championship matches for their PPVs', hence lots of belts..

Pretty much what you guys said, people are taking this WAY too seriously, it's a one off fight, it means nothing, they're just gonna go in, have a fight and it gives them something to aim for.

As pointless as it is it's still something for them to claim against each other "I'm the baddest MF" which is their thing, it actually makes no difference if it's there or not and we're not even going to really notice it.

It's only going to be a one off thing, it means nothing, it's the same fight, the same fight that has the same credit regardless and it's just like a little something for them to have as a result of it.

It's nothing, people need to stop taking it so seriously and whoever said it's ruining UFC's legitimacy is a ridiculous comment, it'll be forgotten about in a couple of months down the line that it even exists (unless we keep bringing it up) and it'll mean nothing.

Just enjoy the fight and if the belt really bothers you that much well turn the TV off after the winner is announced cause it's the main event so you're not missing anything after.
Fuck off with your logic and lack of outrage

Back