News Jorge Masvidal ready dethrone 'head case of head cases' Kamaru Usman.

Who wins?

• Total voters

HOUSTON – Jorge Masvidal is tight-lipped about whether he has officially signed to challenge Kamaru Usman for the UFC welterweight title during International Fight Week in July, but all signs point to the process being near the finish line.

Usman (16-1 MMA, 11-0 UFC) is certainly the center of Masvidal’s (35-13 MMA, 12-6 UFC) focus at the moment. “Gamebred” turned in a massive year in 2019 to solidify his shot at the gold, and as one of the longest-tenured veterans in the entire sport, he said he’s ready to round out his legacy by putting UFC gold around his waist.

“I’d break his face – I’d (expletive) his ass up,” Masvidal told MMA Junkie on Thursday. “(The title) definitely signifies something. But more than that, beating Usman in a really bad way would be better for me in a way. He’s got a couple victories against a couple of my teammates, so I definitely got to represent for ATT there and take his head off.”

Masvidal and Usman recently got into a verbal altercation on Super Bowl Radio Row in Miami, yelling back and forth at each other in a clip that went viral. For Masvidal, it was a (super) necessary moment.

There’s been plenty of words exchanged between the two online and during interviews, and Masvidal said he had to show he’s not intimidated.

“Nothing was going to happen there,” Masvidal said. “I’m not going to touch somebody that’s already incapacitated and (expletive). He’s a punk and I just wanted to tell him to his face, ‘I’m going to (expletive) you up.’ I don’t know what he got so upset about. I just wanted to tell him the truth that I’m going to (expletive) you up when we finally fight. He always says he wants people to keep that same energy and say it to his face, that’s exactly what I did.”

For Masvidal, this particular fight with Usman is personal. It’s not just about the title, but also teaching a lesson to someone he dislikes.

“He’s got like 38 personalities,” Masvidal said. “Every week I keep finding a new one. I don’t like any of them so far. I’ve known this guy for a while and he wasn’t that guy before. He was asking me for pictures and handshakes back in the day. Really his name is Kamarudeen. It’s not even Kamaru. He actually shortened up his real birth name. This guy is just a head case of head cases.”

Jorge is on fire right now. Fuck it, I'm riding with the Scarface.

Usman should win but it would be big if Masvidal got it done.

Usman stand up is underrated. He might use the threat of take down to setup a K.O. Jorge's take down defense has to have improved considerably for him to stand any chance of winning this fight. Usman has been a dominant fighter and I am not sure he has entered the Octagon healthy.

I used to think Usman would lay and pray to a UD, but he's falling in love with his hands. Going to bang for a few seconds too long at the beginning of the fight and get slept for it.

Gamebred champ! Another Lawler-esque story of a journeyman rejuvenating his career and taking UFC gold in the latter half of his career.

Jorge's coming off as not that bright here.

All Nigerians shorten their first name. They use either the first or last part but rarely ever go by their whole name. So a man name Olufemi will be called Femi.

I'm a huge Masvidal fan, and find Kamaru suuuuper annoying, but you're delusional if you think Masvidal wins this fight. It's a bad match up for him.

Masvidal 100% beats Conor though

All Nigerians shorten their first name. They use either the first or last part but rarely ever go by their whole name. So a man name Olufemi will be called Femi.
This isn't unique to Nigerian's. Every culture does this.
Phillip > Phil (English)
Aleksander > Sasha (Russian)
Yonatan > Yoni (Hebrew)
Javier > Javi (Spanish)
Simmin > Sima (Persian)

Could go on and on...

Usman will make Masvidal his bitch. Masvidal beat late boomer Diaz and an out of shape wrestler Ben .... His best win is probably Till who took him lightly. Masvidal might be the most over rated fighter in UFC history. You know that's true when even Conor can beat him but most would think otherwise.

As much as I like Mas and his run, it ends in wrestlefuck fashion against Marty.

This isn't unique to Nigerian's. Every culture does this.
Phillip > Phil (English)
Aleksander > Sasha (Russian)
Yonatan > Yoni (Hebrew)
Javier > Javi (Spanish)
Simmin > Sima (Persian)

Could go on and on...

Yea, no shit.

Dude give me a break. Who else held down Woodley like that?
Woodley has limited cardio bro, he doesn’t scramble that well, he has great tdd, snd usman has great takedowns.
But his top control is overrated imo rda who is much smaller than usman was able to scramble out of every takedown.

woodley is good at avoiding getting taken down, he hasnt shown anything to suggest hes good at getting up, especially since he’s so hesitant to use energy

Logic dictates Usman via wrestlefuck. I have no reason to doubt that outcome.

Would love to see Masvidal win but unfortunately, I think Marty wrestle fucks him :(

I want Masvidal to win but I think Usman will. I do think Masvidal has a chance but Usman's wrestling has been absolutely dominant, taking out Woodley and Covington 2 of the best wrestlers in the division..

I agree. I'd love to see Masvidal win, but people forget it wasn't that long ago that he let both Maia and Wonderboy execute their gameplans almost flawlessly against him. If he can't keep a 40-year old Maia off of him, what's he going to do with a much bigger, stronger athletic elite wrestler who also has a great chin?

Yea, no shit.

You're saying "no shit" as if your original post didn't insinuate that it's specifically a Nigerian thing

You're saying "no shit" as if your original post didn't insinuate that it's specifically a Nigerian thing

I most definitely never mention that "name shorting" as a whole was ever specifically a Nigerian thing.

You read into that. I was implying that it was ignorance on Masvidal's part for not knowing that Nigerians "specifically" shorten their names.

Back