Social Jordan Peterson in Rehab

His has been pretty "Just stop making excuses!!" in my view. I will say, him having such a lack of knowledge related to physiology and human performance, given the field he's in, and the types of talks he likes to give on Circadian cycles and what not, it's quite odd. He has bragged for years about reading a book a day; He should have included anatomy and physiology books in with whatever he has been reading. For him to not know about klonopin/clonazepam, and to do that stupid ass meat diet, man, I would think his license should be looked at, considering he has to be giving people advice based upon his lack of knowledge.

For someone who speaks like an amateur dietician (especially with his weirdo naturepath daughter goading him on), he should have known that humans are omnivores, and our bodily chemistry, particularly in our gut biome, requires more than just protein.

I'm pretty sure he said that he doesn't know shit about diets, and basically just plugged it to make his daughter feel content.

Never understood why people are so obsessed about their "diets" anyhow, particularly in America, where people's diets are shit. One person's diet is probably not going to work for someone else, considering how many allergies and such people have. I wouldn't be surprised if Peterson had a low-level or undiagnosed celiac disease, which is why he gets fucked up by most carbohydrates.

How in the hell did your EngSci ass get yellows? LMAO! That's like CIV material if I ever saw it.

Sensitivity runs strong among certain mods

I bet a lot of drunken Mech Eng dudes would be yellow carded here as well

I'm pretty sure he said that he doesn't know shit about diets, and basically just plugged it to make his daughter feel content.

Never understood why people are so obsessed about their "diets" anyhow, particularly in America, where people's diets are shit. One person's diet is probably not going to work for someone else, considering how many allergies and such people have. I wouldn't be surprised if Peterson had a low-level or undiagnosed celiac disease, which is why he gets fucked up by most carbohydrates.

I don't know why a medical professional would bother with fad diets. He knew and knows what he has to do, right? Restrict carbs and sugar/sodium, drink plenty of water, eat plenty of greens with good lean proteins, and perhaps supplemental vitamins.

Never understood why people are so obsessed about their "diets" anyhow, particularly in America, where people's diets are shit.

I think you answered your own question.

We turn everything 'up to 11' in the US. Factory farming is one of the worst things. You would not believe the size of chicken breasts available in the US at what amounts to slightly more than 1 euro per kilogram.

Too bad I wasn’t JP’s daughter.

I’d have turned him on to the “beer and whatever comes with it” diet, and he’d be just as sane as you please.

Peterson's central brand is built on the proposition that you are making excuses and refusing to take responsibility for your personal failures when you say that your pain or discontent are products of circumstances beyond your control. Peterson is now, allegedly, a victim of just such circumstances.

It's entirely understandable why there would be some serious schadenfreude from those who were struggling as victims of circumstance when Peterson was still on his high horse calling them weak, deluded losers.

I honestly must have missed where Peterson has called people a bunch of deluded weak losers or acting like he was on a high horse by giving the kind of advice or commentary that he gives. That just seems like the most negative possible spin on some of the things he says. Does getting help for a problem make you a hypocrite if you preach personal responsibility? Are going to rehab and responsibility mutually exclusive? I don't get it. If your point is that he's some kind of whiner for blaming his problems on his wife's illness, has he blamed it all on that? Or are you guys who are spiking the football in here all reacting to something that his daughter has said? The source in the OP only mentioned a video his daughter had made.

Have you considered that maybe the reason you ascribe the worst motivations to the guy and take pleasure in bad things happening to him is that when you make a post like the above, strangers will click a button on their device and give you a boost of dopamine? I think it might be something you want to reflect on. Like, I wouldn't expect you to be honest on here but be honest with yourself: how much would you enjoy it if you heard that Peterson beat his wife or something terrible like that? Imagine how many likes you could cash in on in the ensuing "shadenfrude" eh? Some of you guys might want to think on the implications of that kind of mindset we're seeing in this thread because honestly man, it seems really unhealthy to me.

Does getting help for a problem make you a hypocrite if you preach personal responsibility?

If you project yourself to be perfection personified and have all the answers while criticizing others for being weak and irresponsible, then yeah, it kind of does.

If you project yourself to be perfection personified and have all the answers while criticizing others for being weak and irresponsible, then yeah, it kind of does.

I don't know man I've honestly never seen this guy on a podcast or YouTube video or whatever where he gave off that vibe to me. Certainly never saying anything even close to the idea that you're weak and irresponsible, or a loser or whatever for getting professional help. I remember seeing an interview with him where he said that he suffers from depression and takes antidepressants. Also not sure if it was the same one or not but I remember seeing him talk about having a drinking problem while he was in university.

You might want to reflect on what I was talking about in that post. This dopamine-driven feedback loop of social media can be pretty unhealthy. And I think it's a sign of that if you find yourself "enjoying the shadenfrude" or whatever when someone like Peterson - not a politician or a criminal or an infamous sexual harasser or anything like that, just a guy who does speaking engagements and makes YouTube videos - has serious personal problems like this. It's a toxic mentality.

Did he ever project himself to be "perfection personified", though? I'm pretty sure I heard him talk openly about his bouts of depression, anxiety, insomnia, many times. Hell, the guy has put out plenty of videos of himself crying and openly expressing his emotions (which he is frequently made fun of).

The story that he is selling is more so, "I wasn't the biggest, or strongest, or toughest, or most stable kid in class, yet look how far I've been able to go, no reason why you shouldn't be able to". Rather than "look at how big of a badass I am, fuck you losers."

The way people are talking about him is as if the dude is out there acting like he's Dan Bilzerian or something.

Last edited:
I honestly must have missed where Peterson has called people a bunch of deluded weak losers or acting like he was on a high horse by giving the kind of advice or commentary that he gives. That just seems like the most negative possible spin on some of the things he says. Does getting help for a problem make you a hypocrite if you preach personal responsibility? Are going to rehab and responsibility mutually exclusive? I don't get it. If your point is that he's some kind of whiner for blaming his problems on his wife's illness, has he blamed it all on that? Or are you guys who are spiking the football in here all reacting to something that his daughter has said? The source in the OP only mentioned a video his daughter had made.

Have you considered that maybe the reason you ascribe the worst motivations to the guy and take pleasure in bad things happening to him is that when you make a post like the above, strangers will click a button on their device and give you a boost of dopamine? I think it might be something you want to reflect on. Like, I wouldn't expect you to be honest on here but be honest with yourself: how much would you enjoy it if you heard that Peterson beat his wife or something terrible like that? Imagine how many likes you could cash in on in the ensuing "shadenfrude" eh? Some of you guys might want to think on the implications of that kind of mindset we're seeing in this thread because honestly man, it seems really unhealthy to me.

I'm with you 100% on this.

I don't have Peterson's book or anything, but I would doubt there's a chapter where he says don't get professional help when you need it.

Taking glee in a psychologist having mental health issues is as silly as taking glee in a medical doctor getting a physical illness.

BTW, I had a girlfriend who was a therapist, she was saying it was pretty much as a rule they all had to have therapists as well to check on them to make sure they were keeping their wits from hearing everybody's problems all the time.

I don't know man I've honestly never seen this guy on a podcast or YouTube video or whatever where he gave off that vibe to me.

I honestly haven't seen much of him outside of some "TOTAL OWNAGE BTFO" clips, and his appearance on Maher. The Maher appearance really soured me on this alleged brilliant genius, who proceeded to smugly tell a woman how her child would grow up without his particular brand of parenting and all encompassing view on how the world works. I kept waiting for a moment where this guy would make a great point or argument, and all he did was awkwardly struggle to articulate his thoughts, while talking down to people.

At that point, I made my mind up that the guy is a fucking jackass.

Too bad I wasn’t JP’s daughter.

I’d have turned him on to the “beer and whatever comes with it” diet, and he’d be just as sane as you please.

Perhaps you should try that diet.

I honestly haven't seen much of him outside of some "TOTAL OWNAGE BTFO" clips, and his appearance on Maher. The Maher appearance really soured me on this alleged brilliant genius, who proceeded to smugly tell a woman how her child would grow up without his particular brand of parenting and all encompassing view on how the world works. I kept waiting for a moment where this guy would make a great point or argument, and all he did was awkwardly struggle to articulate his thoughts, while talking down to people.

At that point, I made my mind up that the guy is a fucking jackass.

Right, and to the point I was making, I bet that before you started spending a lot of time in polarizing online forums like this (certainly before the like button with that dopamine-driven mechanism and all that comes with it) you could never even imagine that you would have such a mean-spirited reaction to a guy that you've seen so little of have serious personal problems like this. I mean I think most of us want to see the Roman Polanski and the Harvey Weinstein types step on a rake or 2 in their life. But you heard that a guy you found annoying on a talk show one time is in rehab and your response was "man, fuck that clown", and you obviously felt strongly enough about it that you had to let others know. I don't know, man. I don't see how that type of mindset leads to anything healthy or positive.

I knew there was something seriously wrong with that’s guy. He’s way too emotional.

Right, and to the point I was making, I bet that before you started spending a lot of time in polarizing online forums like this (certainly before the like button with that dopamine-driven mechanism and all that comes with it) you could never even imagine that you would have such a mean-spirited reaction to a guy that you've seen so little of have serious personal problems like this. I mean I think most of us want to see the Roman Polanski and the Harvey Weinstein types step on a rake or 2 in their life. But you heard that a guy you found annoying on a talk show one time is in rehab and your response was "man, fuck that clown", and you obviously felt strongly enough about it that you had to let others know. I don't know, man. I don't see how that type of mindset leads to anything healthy or positive.

Dude wrote that he's addicted to liberal tears today. He lives to piss off liberals in another, superior, country...........

But you're obviously a big fan, and that's the position you're coming from. It's not any deeper than my position that I find it amusing that a smug, judgmental jackass who expresses himself in holier than thou way, got a taste of humility.

I don't wish ill will on the guy, or anything. I just find it rather fitting, and perhaps this will be a teachable moment for him.

But you're obviously a big fan, and that's the position you're coming from. It's not any deeper than my position that I find it amusing that a smug, judgmental jackass who expresses himself in holier than thou way, got a taste of humility.

I don't wish ill will on the guy, or anything. I just find it rather fitting, and perhaps this will be a teachable moment for him.

If someone comes off to others as a smug, judgemental jackass in an anonymous setting (like say an internet forum) is it also a fitting, "amusing" turn of events if they have the kind of problems Peterson is having? I don't know if I would write it all off as a taste of humility, it's not like he's a Tiger Woods type going to rehab for sex addiction or something. Someone could go through thousands of your Sherdog posts - not to mention mine or lots of other posters here - and get a much worse impression of you than what you gleaned from however many minutes Peterson was on Maher. Something to think about.

I've been thinking a long time about what social media and all the internet BS does to children's minds because I'm raising kids in this world. But just because we're older and our minds are developed, we shouldn't ignore the effects this stuff can have on us. Obviously we've seen some messed up posts and threads on Sherdog before but something about the tone of some of the posts itt really have made me think about this stuff. Like some posters have worked themselves into a situation where it's like when guys wanted to see Fedor get KO'd so his fans on the forum would have to eat shit.

Last edited:
What a snowflake. A guy like that should not be giving advice to anybody.

And before people brings his wife cancer.. that happens all the time to a lot of people.

Back