Jon's "Octagon Control" didn't mean that much to me.

Snolla

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
I'm just speaking from my experience going 100's of sparring rounds with pro fighters in my gym and my few fights. I'm an amateur but I know quite a bit about what it's like to be in there with a bigger or longer body type.

You have to circle and move. It's extremely hard to pressure someone like Jones and Reyes was countering beautifully. I just don't think Jon's "octagon control" was enough to get the win. He needed to do more with it and he was getting clipped regardless.

He won rounds 4-5 but he clearly lost the first 3. 4-5 were closer than they looked. Reyes was tired but still moving and defending well.

he loped forward but clearly lost the first three rounds. total strikes should show this. jones won 4 and 5. reyes won the fight.

Fighting Area Control

“Fighting area control is assessed by determining who is dictating the pace, place and position of the match.”

Fighting Area Control” shall only to be assessed if Effective Striking/Grappling and Effective Aggressiveness is 100% equal for both competitors. This will be assessed very rarely.

http://www.abcboxing.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/juding_criteriascoring_rev0816.pdf

Doesn’t mean much according to official judging criteria either. It’s the last thing to consider.

ive been saying it all night, Does this mean a counterstriker can never win a round? Since you are waiting for your opponent to come forward and swing? i dont think Jon dictated anything this is the kickboxing fight REYES wanted, Jon clearly wanted it on the ground......Reyes WANTED jon to come forward so he can swing, he was waiting for it.....

I think it only came into play really in the third, which is when the striking seemed pretty much even.

Octagon control means you are able to pin a man to the fence and corner him.

Reyes was pivoting out and regaining center of the cage all night.

"Octagon control" was non-existent.

Reyes won, as clear as it can be.

ive been saying it all night, Does this mean a counterstriker can never win a round?

Well, it depends. Did the guy who missed continue walking his opponent down whilst swinging aggressively? Did he have a mean mug while he was doing it or was he showing signs of fear? Every little bit counts, you know...

that control make Reyes gas out, Jones won 3:2

I'm just speaking from my experience going 100's of sparring rounds with pro fighters in my gym and my few fights. I'm an amateur but I know quite a bit about what it's like to be in there with a bigger or longer body type.

You have to circle and move. It's extremely hard to pressure someone like Jones and Reyes was countering beautifully. I just don't think Jon's "octagon control" was enough to get the win. He needed to do more with it and he was getting clipped regardless.

He won rounds 4-5 but he clearly lost the first 3. 4-5 were closer than they looked. Reyes was tired but still moving and defending well.
I felt the same way about this fight, and also his fight with Santos. Forward movement shouldn't matter so much if you're not winning the exchanges. I've always had a problem with that being so highly favored in terms of scoring criteria.

Back