Jones's Injuries Are Adding Up...

CageSage

Red Belt
Reaction score
One thing people don't often consider is wear and tear on the body. Tons of fighters while falling out of their prime are more susceptible to injury, dont move and react they have in the past, and in general just dont fight how they used to.

Many older fighters have ran into this, Fedor, Nog, Crocop, Wanderlei, Rampage, and numerous others I'm sure. I wouldn't say Jones is slowing down since he bested a fighter as young as he was just last night, but he is starting to accumulate the damage and injuries that slow down fighters' careers.

People laugh off a toe injury but something that small can throw off balance and your base. He's limped away from a number of fights from people checking his kicks or him being kicked , Vitor trying to rip away his arm and for the first time I remember he was cut in a fight and got his face pounded on.

Not talking shit against Jones, this is merely an observation that we might start to see him slow down. It says nothing against him as a fighter as he has already accomplished more than many retired fighters, and it took a ton of fights for him to finally experience a real "fight".

Thoughts?

What injuries?

All he did was broke his toe which he recovered from.

1 injury does not equal injuries adding up.

His arm was fucked, his toe has been fucked, and his foot/shins have been fucked . Those are kind of some important things to have at 100% in a fight, wouldn't you say? Fedor never experienced any of that(except broken toe leading into Hunt fight) and was largely injury free in terms of his fights and he was talking about retirement because of his injuries before he even joined strikeforce.

His arm was fucked, his toe has been fucked, and his foot/shins have been fucked . Those are kind of some important things to have at 100% in a fight, wouldn't you say? Fedor never experienced any of that and was largely injury free in terms of his fights and he was talking about retirement because of his injuries before he even joined strikeforce.

The only thing that I've heard of being broken or torn was his toe...or am I missing an injury? The other things have all been minor. Nothing major. Until he sustains a multiple major injuries, than I can see those slowing him down.

He dislocated a toe once, and hyper'd his elbow. If you can get through an eight week training camp with less, you're pretty much winning.

His arm was fucked, his toe has been fucked, and his foot/shins have been fucked . Those are kind of some important things to have at 100% in a fight, wouldn't you say? Fedor never experienced any of that(except broken toe leading into Hunt fight) and was largely injury free in terms of his fights and he was talking about retirement because of his injuries before he even joined strikeforce.

Well Fedor was largely injury free that we know of. Let's not forget his prime years were during a very different era in the sport. I remember an interview where Matt Hughes said in his early years as champion he'd fuck up things like his knees or back and not even make the injuries public, let alone pull out.

The only thing that I've heard of being broken or torn was his toe...or am I missing an injury? The other things have all been minor. Nothing major. Until he sustains a multiple major injuries, than I can see those slowing him down.

He possibly shattered his foot last night according to his camp, and left in a stretcher.

He also had that nerve damage in his hand or whatever that he chose to get fixed when he was supposed to fight Rashad.

I think he suffers about the same amount of injuries per fight as everybody else, it's just everybody's waiting for him to crumble and taking notes.

He couldn't walk on his own outside of the octagon, Rampage fight was the same way.

I'm sure his foot was hurting, majorly but he didn't sustain an injury to it. A lot of those head kicks he hit Gus with was with the end of his foot. I'm sure his foot was hurting pretty bad afterwards.

I think he suffers about the same amount of injuries per fight as everybody else, it's just everybody's waiting for him to crumble and taking notes.

Very fighters walk out of the octagon in the shape Jones and even to some degree Gusta did as well. He's at the top, so ofcourse his injuries are taken into consideration more, he's been largely perfect his entire career and he's only fighting top guys now.

This is called fighting for a reason and I'm pretty sure that most fighters have to battle through similar injuries. This is after all a combat sport where your main object is to damage your opponent.

Personally, I don't need my arms, toes, feet or shins to fight.

:eek:

One thing people don't often consider is wear and tear on the body. Tons of fighters while falling out of their prime are more susceptible to injury, dont move and react they have in the past, and in general just dont fight how they used to.

Many older fighters have ran into this, Fedor, Nog, Crocop, Wanderlei, Rampage, and numerous others I'm sure. I wouldn't say Jones is slowing down since he bested a fighter as young as he was just last night, but he is starting to accumulate the damage and injuries that slow down fighters' careers.

People laugh off a toe injury but something that small can throw off balance and your base. He's limped away from a number of fights from people checking his kicks or him being kicked , Vitor trying to rip away his arm and for the first time I remember he was cut in a fight and got his face pounded on.

Not talking shit against Jones, this is merely an observation that we might start to see him slow down. It says nothing against him as a fighter as he has already accomplished more than many retired fighters, and it took a ton of fights for him to finally experience a real "fight".

Thoughts?

The same thing you said can be said about anyone in the UFC, they are all accumulating damage, and Boner is 24/25 if this is the age Injuries start slowing him down then this sport was never for him, like the running back that retired after 5 seasons

This is called fighting for a reason and I'm pretty sure that most fighters have to battle through similar injuries. This is after all a combat sport where your main object is to damage your opponent.

Nobody is denying that, this is merely an observation that Jones who went through most of his fights unscathed is starting to accumulate some injuries that could hinder his game. Him being at the top, in his division and p4p make this especially noteworthy.

Back