Jones Vs Santos wasn't really as close as you thought.

I like how you started a thread accusing commentary of being biased and skewing the view of the viewers to favor Santos.

Then, I play the video you provide as proof otherwise and within the first minute, Santos nearly takes Jones legs out from under him with a hard kick, only for Cruz and Melendez to completely ignore that and go on about how amazing Jones is.

Still, it was completely shocking to me that Jones couldn't put Santos away. Santos was clearly injured in camp before the fight. If the UFC doctors weren't worthless hacks, he would never have been cleared.

Extremely shocking since Santos has been finished in the first by guys like Branch, Mutante and Eric Spicely. As well as Mousasi and Luque. That's why I never gave him even a small chance.

Last edited:
Jones clearly won but I think his arrogance in not wanting to take santos down taught us a lot. Jones cant afford to take a risk like that again.

I think he’ll do the same thing today to be honest, not the safest gameplay but GOATs gonna do GOAT things (like Chamberlain winning the assists one year)

This whole discussion is based off people being SO use to seeing Jones destroy people that when he coasts and beats them without getting hurt it's an L for him. The price of being great. Most sherdoggers cant relate because they're only great at... well that's a thread in itself.

Octagon control is no longer a scoring criteria, Octagon control is worthless with the new scoring it doesn't count for anything.
Fine. Still, Jon was the one advancing almost the entire fight. Judges pay attention to that shit, and Jon still outstruck Thiago in both 2 and 5.

I guess the judge didn’t watch it on mute either

Fine. Still, Jon was the one advancing almost the entire fight. Judges pay attention to that shit, and Jon still outstruck Thiago in both 2 and 5.

Out stuck on the numbers, it's not a stats game, a landed strike isn't a goal scored.

I'd have to rewatch the fight. But part of me doesn't feel like it. This isn't some statistical contest where we just go off of computer readings to decide a winner. Doesn't an in-the-moment decision mean anything or should every fight be reevaluated months later before a final verdict? Also, would we really be saying that some of those crummy judges get everything right but us guys who watch way more MMA than they do are wrong more often?
Are you calling Dominick Cruz and Gilbert Melendez crummy judges who watch less MMA than you?

When they're looking at the fourth round, after watching the first three without having to hear Rogan jizz his pants every time Santos misses by less than half a foot, they agree that "I don't see any rounds that Santos has won."

Out stuck on the numbers, it's not a stats game, a landed strike isn't a goal scored.
In a close fight like the one they had, it kind of is, and in total, Jon landed sixteen more than Thiago did. In a bout that stays entirely on the feet, there isn't much more in terms of objective criteria to evaluate who won or lost. If you want to look at another stat though, look at striking efficiency. Jon landed somewhere in the neighborhood of 60% of the strikes he threw. Santos landed around 25%. This is just my opinion, but I think that's somewhat indicative of who was controlling the fight. Yes, Thiago fought very well and landed some good punches, but Jon got his licks in too. Rounds 2 and 5 were very close. I'll concede one of them to Thiago, but there's no way in hell he won both of them.

In a close fight like the one they had, it kind of is, and in total, Jon landed sixteen more than Thiago did. In a bout that stays entirely on the feet, there isn't much more in terms of objective criteria to evaluate who won or lost. If you want to look at another stat though, look at striking efficiency. Jon landed somewhere in the neighborhood of 60% of the strikes he threw. Santos landed around 25%. This is just my opinion, but I think that's somewhat indicative of who was controlling the fight. Yes, Thiago fought very well and landed some good punches, but Jon got his licks in too. Rounds 2 and 5 were very close. I'll concede one of them to Thiago, but there's no way in hell he won both of them.

Quality and effectiveness of strikes is more important than total amount thrown. What use is throwing a million strikes if they have no effect on your opponent? Santos landed the much bigger and more powerful strikes with his hands, he even knocked Jones' mouthpiece out in the second. His leg kicks where knocking Jones legs out from under him. Jones' only big moment was when he cut Santos in the third

Jon won comfortably without getting out of 1st gear, he cruised to a decision

Back