Jones Vs Reyes Is Why Fights Must Be To The Finish.

Doctor Lenovo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How can any fighter know that they won, if the opponent strongly feels different, and the fan base is divided? LOL

If there is no finish, then we go to round 4 or round 6. If there is still no finish, then we must call it "inconclusive."

Opinions should never be used to decide "real sports" outcomes.

How can any fighter know that they won, if the opponent strongly feels different, and the fan base is divided? LOL

If there is no finish, then we go to round 4 or round 6. If there is still no finish, then we must call it "inconclusive."

I agree. But instead of inconclusive, call it a draw.

Jones' record would be 16-1, 10 draws, 1 NC

I agree. But instead of inconclusive, call it a draw.

Jones' record would be 16-1, 10 draws, 1 NC
Without a finish, then all we are left with are opinions. Therefore, the judging becomes very subjective. A draw implies that both fighters were equal. Inconclusive means that we don't have enough evidence to make any kind of confident decision.

Draws are for sports that have objective scoring e.g. European Football. There is no confusion about winning, losing or drawing.

"Inconclusive" is a better descriptor of Jones vs Reyes than a "draw." The truth is that we don't know who won that fight, and the opinions of the fans are extremes towards either fighter.

There should have been a Round 6 (over time). If there still was no finish, then the fight should have been called inconclusive.

Inconclusive sounds like a big word for MMA.
Not many people will interpret it correctly.

That word gets used a lot during forensic science examinations.

“To the death Georges, to the death” ~BJ Penn

Without a finish, then all we are left with are opinions. Therefore, the judging becomes very subjective. A draw implies that both fighters were equal. Inconclusive means that we don't have enough evidence to make any kind of confident decision.

Draws are for sports that have objective scoring e.g. European Football. There is no confusion about winning, losing or drawing.

"Inconclusive" is a better descriptor of Jones vs Reyes than a "draw." The truth is that we don't know who won that fight, and the opinions of the fans are extremes towards either fighter.

There should have been a Round 6 (over time). If there still was no finish, then the fight should have been called inconclusive.

I see your point. But "inconclusive" would not do justice to clear one sided fights. There are many fights that go the distance where there is no real dispute that Fighter A won. To say such a fight is inconclusive would not be feel accurate. But if finishing an opponent is the equivalent of scoring, no one scoring makes it a draw.

I see your point. But "inconclusive" would not do justice to clear one sided fights. There are many fights that go the distance where there is no real dispute that Fighter A won. To say such a fight is inconclusive would not be feel accurate. But if finishing an opponent is the equivalent of scoring, no one scoring makes it a draw.
That is a good point. I have thought about a way to resolve it, but I can't think of a way to resolve it. However, a finish is the only conclusive way to win a fight. Anything less leaves too much room for "what ifs..."

A dominant fighter not getting the victory is just a bitter pill the fans will have to swallow. It is no different than an NFL team getting the most yards, and making the biggest plays but not getting over the touchline for a winning score when the overtime clock runs out.

Reyes won within the allotted time period.
That being said he would have lost had there been more rounds so what's the point?

Just get better judges. Not Joe Schmo picked up from the street.

Such a horrible idea. Would encourage negative tactics.

Currently if you a have a champ who is likely/possibly down on the scorecard he is incentivised to go for a finish or at the least try to dominate the championship rounds. In your proposed system surviving the last 6th round to salvage an inconclusive to save the belt would become a viable tactic.

Just let them fight until there is a finish. No need to add a 6th round.

to the death,

decisions are not wins

{<buffer}

If no finish in the octagon, they should have some other kind of contest to determine winner. I suggest this.

Scrap weight classes too.

Let's see who are the real gangstas.

I wish the judging was like Pride

It was a way better system

Back