Media Jones vs Reyes Fight Motion

They forgot to show the best parts where Reyes blasts Bones with a few combos and send him running backwards to the cage and where he tries to run but Reyes follows him and unleashed his skills! This fight was a scam honestly

I really wish they would have shown those, so everyone could see in perfectly clear slow motion just how much air Reyes was hitting.

That's where we have a slight difference in perspective. To me this is a fight. A grown man ass game of king of the mountain. There is only one way to beat the king off the mountain. BEAT HIM. Not edge but beat his ass. Reyes didnt and Jones spent the majority of the fight pushing for a beating that never came. Reyes may have edged in points in many eyes but he failed to convincingly beat Jon's ass to be king of the mountain. Would be one of the weakest cases for a change of belt holder I've seen in a minute. Of course I understand rules but to me that rule is the sacred foundation of the man dance
The majority of polls believe reyes won. Why not just throw out the point system all together and ditched the rounds for pride round time limits

I really wish they would have shown those, so everyone could see in perfectly clear slow motion just how much air Reyes was hitting.
Not the flush combos in round 1 where he dazed Bones!

Not the flush combos in round 1 where he dazed Bones!

I don't ever remember Jon being dazed by anything Reyes threw and if he was I'm sure the slo-mo action shotz would've included his dazed reaction in slo-mo timing...

When I watched it live I thought Reyes won 3-2 but I still had to watch it again to be sure. I rewatched it the next day and yet again thought it was 3-2 Reyes. But After watching it back twice, dissecting each round I now am sure that this was a robbery. Reyes 3-2

This is for the Jones fans that believe he won 2nd round.
uuvOwTV.gif

Last edited:
The majority of polls believe reyes won. Why not just throw out the point system all together and ditched the rounds for pride round time limits
Respectfully I'm my own grown man with my own perspective and I dont give much a fuck how the general public feels about Jones his behavior and much less a fight. The "general public" overwhelmingly doesn't like that guy and want a change of guard.

I don't ever remember Jon being dazed by anything Reyes threw and if he was I'm sure the slo-mo action shotz would've included his dazed reaction in slo-mo timing...
Reyes seemed equally or more phased tbh

As far as the Pride rules thing I am admittedly a Strikeforce convert. I saw like 2 Pride fights back then and dont remember the exact rules like that. KJ Noones was still a prospect when I started being a hardcore as a frame of reference

That's where we have a slight difference in perspective. To me this is a fight. A grown man ass game of king of the mountain. There is only one way to beat the king off the mountain. BEAT HIM. Not edge but beat his ass. Reyes didnt and Jones spent the majority of the fight pushing for a beating that never came. Reyes may have edged in points in many eyes but he failed to convincingly beat Jon's ass to be king of the mountain. Would be one of the weakest cases for a change of belt holder I've seen in a minute. Of course I understand rules but to me that rule is the sacred foundation of the man dance
How about Volk then? Or Machida Rua?

JONES GOAT old lion still beats these young hungry lions

How about Volk then? Or Machida Rua?
Would have to watch Volk again. Machida vs Rua I feel the same as this one other than the fact Machida has a style that involves little forward pressure and is all counterreactive. The key difference is Machida does not push the pace or dictate the octagon. That's fine however I can somewhat see the outrage when he wins and the other guy did dictate the pace and had a close amount of offense landed

Would have to watch Volk again. Machida vs Rua I feel the same as this one other than the fact Machida has a style that involves little forward pressure and is all counterreactive. The key difference is Machida does not push the pace or dictate the octagon. That's fine however I can somewhat see the outrage when he wins and the other guy did dictate the pace and had a close amount of offense landed
And here's where I disagree. :) If a fighter prefers to counter and not take the center of the octagon then it cannot be held against him. I would even argue that it should count as "octagon control" if he stays on the outside as he prefers and forces his opponent to chase him. He is then dictating the pace and course of the fight. Especially if this is a striker facing a grappler and he keeps the fight standing. That's why Davis Machida is the biggest robbery ever IMO. Machida kept the fight exactly where he wanted (standing) and hit Davis at will. Davis managed a TD at the very end of 2 rounds and did virtually nothing else. Every media outlet and fan had it for Machida.
http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/4380/Phil-Davis-vs-Lyoto-Machida

That
And here's where I disagree. :) If a fighter prefers to counter and not take the center of the octagon then it cannot be held against him. I would even argue that it should count as "octagon control" if he stays on the outside as he prefers and forces his opponent to chase him. He is then dictating the pace and course of the fight. Especially if this is a striker facing a grappler and he keeps the fight standing. That's why Davis Machida is the biggest robbery ever IMO. Machida kept the fight exactly where he wanted (standing) and hit Davis at will. Davis managed a TD at the very end of 2 rounds and did virtually nothing else. Every media outlet and fan had it for Machida.
http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/4380/Phil-Davis-vs-Lyoto-Machida
That was the Davis fight. You went from asking me how I feel about one fight to talking about another and every fight is different. I never said that being a counter striker should cost you the belt. I said I more understand the outrage when fighter A is pushing the pace more and the striking is relatively close

That

That was the Davis fight. You went from asking me how I feel about one fight to talking about another and every fight is different. I never said that being a counter striker should cost you the belt. I said I more understand the outrage when fighter A is pushing the pace more and the striking is relatively close
Yeah I went on a tangent a bit. But the Machida Davis fight actually has some relevance to Jon Dom. Note how high the takedowns are scored by judges - even if they cause no actual damage!

Davis had 2 takedowns against Machida - without much control or GnP - but they impacted the judges' decision.
Jon had 2 takedowns agains Dom - without any control or GnP - but they impacted the judges' decision. (Jon himself and his team have cited these TDs are the decisive factor)

I think this is also an interesting point to discuss - how impacting are TDs with no GnP and no control? I don't think they should count as much.

Personally I dont believe in edging a champ. I'm ol school and the only way to beat a champ is a convincing beating. Which didnt occur. I respect your stance though
3 rounds to 2 is convincing. It's judged round by round, not as a whole. Your way of thinking makes no sense in a round by round scored fight with a set scoring criteria in a fight where each round was pretty clear.

Last edited:
This isn't king of the mountain, this is MMA with rules and a set guideline for scoring.

This fight was pretty clear cut, far more clear cut than Penn/Edgar 1, Edgar/Benson 1, Hendricks/ Lawler 2, and DJ/Cejudo 2 because in king of the mountain rules, the champs should've won...

Yeah I went on a tangent a bit. But the Machida Davis fight actually has some relevance to Jon Dom. Note how high the takedowns are scored by judges - even if they cause no actual damage!

Davis had 2 takedowns against Machida - without much control or GnP - but they impacted the judges' decision.
Jon had 2 takedowns agains Dom - without any control or GnP - but they impacted the judges' decision. (Jon himself and his team have cited these TDs are the decisive factor)

I think this is also an interesting point to discuss - how impacting are TDs with no GnP and no control? I don't think they should count as much.
Its 100% subjective. If you want to go down that rabbit hole then how impactful are strikes without damage? I guarantee you FAR less impactful then the energy it takes to get up from a takedown. So ultimately to maintain belt integrity. If you want to beat the champ then convincingly beat the champs ass.

Back