Jones vs Gus was a draw

DimeBillion

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The key here is Round 4. Gus dominated that round clearly with better striking until that spinning elbow rocked him badly. So the correct score for this round was 10-10. The damage done by Jones' elbow negated Gus' striking dominance up until that point.

Gus was saved by the bell and would've been TKO'd if round 4 had continued and he wasn't the same in round 5. He seemed fresher than Jones in Round 4 but the elbow really hurt him.

The judges scored too many of Jones head kick attempts in Jones' favour. Gus blocked the majority of them with his arm.

If "Octagon control" was the only criterion for the fight then you've got to hand it to Gus. He dictated the pace and he was pushing forward more than Jones.

I cant believe the judge who massively favoured Jones. Unreal.

I greatly dislike draw decisions but I would have been totally okay with it, here. It was that close.

Greg Jackson to Jones between rounds:

"We may not win the battle...But we will never lose the decision!"

I would been happy with any decision in this one. It was pretty darn close. Great fight.

Does TS know the fight was a UD? John Bones Jones took 4 because it was the closest anyone came to finishing.

Does TS know the fight was a UD? John Bones Jones took 4 because it was the closest anyone came to finishing.

Yes I am aware of what the judges thought.

Before the elbow, clearly 10-9 Gustaffson

Elbow made it 10-10

you give a round 10-10, you don't know how to judge. You have to pick a winner. Thats what judging is about. Only way you can have a draw is if at least one round is at least 10-8. Anybody claiming a 10-10 round doesn't understand judging in combat sports. On occasion this score is given by judges, but its almost always wrong with the exception of rounds where literally nothing is done by either fighter.

is GUSTAFSSON a leaner Josh Barnett ? if yes he's got lots of potential...!

you give a round 10-10, you don't know how to judge. You have to pick a winner. Thats what judging is about. Only way you can have a draw is if at least one round is at least 10-8. Anybody claiming a 10-10 round doesn't understand judging in combat sports. On occasion this score is given by judges, but its almost always wrong with the exception of rounds where literally nothing is done by either fighter.

Sometimes there is no clear winner in a round though. This is why Pride's scoring system was better.

Jones came through when he needed to in round 4. He stepped up big. I was a little surprised to see 49-46 but it is understandable. Many judges give razor close rounds to the champ.

Gus brought it. Hell of a fight.

It was close, no doubt, but well known, protect the champion. This is not cheat or something this is an unwritten rule.

Back