Jones vs DC proves Trash talk is utterly pointless in MMA

All it really is, is hype.

Any high-caliber professional fighter at level is likely going to know how to emotionally control themselves during a fight to their best.

You would think so, but then again so many fighters say how so much of fighting is mental, that's why people talk I spose.

UFC fights rarely live up to the hype.

Apart from selling seats/PPV.... I dont care how "real" the beef is, trash talk has little to no part in predicting how "brutal" a fight will be ...

For example look at shogun v jones ... Shogun acted like a perfect gentleman before the fight, but took an utter ass whooping during that match ... Dude looked like he was in a car crash after ...

Now look at Cormier vs jones ... The trash talk never stopped from day one, press conference brawls, even death threats ... Yet come fight night neither fighter took any real Damage and the fight was a hug fest... Cormier face was utterly unscathed after...

Let's be honest we were all conned again in to believing some WWE bs!

Rampage vs Rashad was much worse...

I thought Jones vs DC was a good, competitive fight.

*Sigh*....

lol.gif

That's exactly how it was hyped .... "Someone might die" bs

thought the fight was a hype job. a work in the sense that the challenger was trumped up to have a chance when he had a punchers, a la rashad or chael. dc is a threat to anyone but going against jones who is both younger than him and has a 12 inch reach advantage, well those aren't exactly odds you should bet on. so i skipped it. i miss the days when contenders had to work their way up in their divisions and make a case for the match vs being handed it to them - but those days are over it seems and maybe they only existed in my head.

seems like dc made a fight out of it. kudos to him.

dat reach doh

CF5o2j7.gif

When the rules and method of rendering a decision/criteria is the way it is, you rarely have a brutal *fight* - particularly when all the chips are on the line. Conservatism and 'point scoring' is the percentage play, if a finish happens, is often more likely an opportunistic bonus rather than it is the primary objective at all times in the fighter's mind.

Fighters 'compete' much more than they do 'fight' nowadays. The scoring is always in the back of their minds/corners strategy

The unified system plays a significant part in the reason for these kinds of 'fights' that certainly lack the heat that might of happened if the same two men met each other on the street, or in an organisation where the rules were different.

Imagine Jones vs Cormier in say, OneFC. Now that's a FIGHT I'd like to see.

thought the fight was a hype job. a work in the sense that the challenger was trumped up to have a chance when he had a punchers, a la rashad or chael. dc is a threat to anyone but going against jones who is both younger than him and has a 12 inch reach advantage, well those aren't exactly odds you should bet on. so i skipped it. i miss the days when contenders had to work their way up in their divisions and make a case for the match vs being handed it to them - but those days are over it seems and maybe they only existed in my head.

seems like dc made a fight out of it. kudos to him.

dat reach doh

CF5o2j7.gif

no one complained about this douche move by jj

Rogan even said before the fight "this is the biggest beef the ufc has ever seen "

Fans hyped Cormier/Jones so much that the only way it could fully live up to the expectations is if a crater was left in its wake.

What we got was a full blown war that became a war of attrition. I'd say the fight delivered. 3 rounds of all out attacks then the last 2 rounds showed which could dig the deepest to cap off the fight.

Rashad vs Rampage proved this years ago.

Apart from selling seats/PPV.... I dont care how "real" the beef is, trash talk has little to no part in predicting how "brutal" a fight will be ...

Apart from the only thing that matters, and the reason why trash talking exists, yeah, it means little.

Oh, and on topic, yeah, ts, washing my bum is pointless apart from not stinking like a hobo and not getting weird infections.

Some of the most uneventful fights in the UFC have been these bitter grudge matches.

GSP/Diaz
Koscheck/Sanchez
Eastman/Martin (not really 2 well known fighters, but they hated each other)
Gomi/Aurelio 2
Rua/Filho

All were fights where both fighters didn't like each other at all, and were pretty lacking in the excitement department. Grudges have no real effect on how exciting a fight will be.

I was on the edge of my seat for the entire fight. It was INTENSE!

I guess I don't need people swinging like crazy, bleeding all over to find a fight intense.

When the rules and method of rendering a decision/criteria is the way it is, you rarely have a brutal *fight* - particularly when all the chips are on the line. Conservatism and 'point scoring' is the percentage play, if a finish happens, is often more likely an opportunistic bonus rather than it is the primary objective at all times in the fighter's mind.

Fighters 'compete' much more than they do 'fight' nowadays. The scoring is always in the back of their minds/corners strategy

The unified system plays a significant part in the reason for these kinds of 'fights' that certainly lack the heat that might of happened if the same two men met each other on the street, or in an organisation where the rules were different.

Imagine Jones vs Cormier in say, OneFC. Now that's a FIGHT I'd like to see.

And when point fighting is the objective having longer and less rounds than in boxing makes for lopsided scores. not to mention a ref will almost never deduct a point for a foul (eye poke) because of the potential to drastically change the result of the fight.

Back