Jones vs DC at HW?

kingskot

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Maybe this has been posted already (who can keep up with all of these JJ/DC threads?), but who do you think takes this fight at HW? Obviously we have to speculate because we haven't seen Jones at HW, but I think that without the weight cut DC could maybe keep up the pace and get the W, not to mention he'd carry a few extra pounds which would make Jones work harder in the clinch.

For the record, going into their last fight I had it as tough to call, but leaning towards DC (and rooting for Jones).

EDIT: The initial consensus seems to be that Jones would still take it. Follow up question: given DC's performance at HW, does that mean that Jones would be a top fighter, or even a dominant champ at HW? Have we ever seen that before, where a dominant champ moves up in weight to again be a dominant champ?

Last edited:
I think DC would gas faster at HW. He said he gassed due to all of the body shots Jones put on him not because the cut was too hard. I think the same would happen.

Jones still wins

I think DC would gas faster at HW. He said he gassed due to all of the body shots Jones put on him not because the cut was too hard. I think the same would happen.

You may well be right, in which case a little (admittedly unreliable) MMAth suggests that Jones would do very well at HW, and maybe even dominate that division as well. Do you agree? And again, that may be right, it's just hard for me to imagine a dominant LHW moving up to dominate at HW.

Jones would still win. Would be closer though.

If anything, Jones will have an easier time. He's the bigger man. He'd come in at 240.

Depends on how much Cormier's cardio suffered due to the weight cut. If he could perform the way he did in round 2 in all 5 rounds it'd be a different story.

DC was much more springy, and energetic at HW. He also wouldn't have to go through a hardncit, whereas we don't even know how bad Jones would gas after adding muscle.

Maybe this has been posted already (who can keep up with all of these JJ/DC threads?), but who do you think takes this fight at HW? Obviously we have to speculate because we haven't seen Jones at HW, but I think that without the weight cut DC could maybe keep up the pace and get the W, not to mention he'd carry a few extra pounds which would make Jones work harder in the clinch.

For the record, going into their last fight I had it as tough to call, but leaning towards DC (and rooting for Jones).

EDIT: The initial consensus seems to be that Jones would still take it. Follow up question: given DC's performance at HW, does that mean that Jones would be a top fighter, or even a dominant champ at HW? Have we ever seen that before, where a dominant champ moves up in weight to again be a dominant champ?

Jones would get thumped at HW by everyone not named Struve or Schaub

I'd need to see JJ at HW a few times before I could say for sure. I do believe that DC is better at HW with more mass and without the weight cut to deal with. Jon would obviously benefit from this as well, though.

Back