Jones trained without a mouthpiece for Gustafsson

MMALeBronJames

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Apparently he trained without a mouthpiece and sparred with the likes of Condit, Browne, and Arlovsk to "increase awareness, improve head movement, and not take hits to the face". Do you think this plan worked? I know he lost his mouthpiece and just decided to train without it but do you think he should of trained with a mouthpiece?

10.gif

6HFPcX0.gif

He certainly took those shots to the mouth like a champ. Jenna Jameson would have been proud.

Well, it's a good thing he had one in FOR the fight. As swollen as his mouth was while wearing one, that likely would have equaled half his teeth missing without.

Not sure if training without one really helped. He certainly got clobbered in the mouth repeatedly, as evidenced by his swollen features post-fight.

That wasn't a good idea if true. He was going to have one in fight night, why not train with it?

That spinning elbow was awesome. That's like landing a front kick on Anderson.

sounds to strange to be true..

source?

When I traned UFC I wouldn't even grapple without a mouthpiece forget about standup that's ridiculous

Apparently he trained without a mouthpiece and sparred with the likes of Condit, Browne, and Arlovsk to "increase awareness, improve head movement, and not take hits to the face". Do you think this plan worked? I know he lost his mouthpiece and just decided to train without it but do you think he should of trained with a mouthpiece?

10.gif

6HFPcX0.gif

No, training without a mouth piece is dangerous to your teeth. It possibly has some application but its a dangerous way to train.

Jones looked good in the standup so i would say his training has done him some good. He actually looked competent with Gus on the feet which is something I didnt think would happen.

training with a mouth-piece is harder cardiowise. His endurance seemed to fade a little bit in the later rounds though not as bad as Gus.
So I'd say it didn#t work. Makes the last two rounds even more impressive, though.

That spinning elbow was awesome. That's like landing a front kick on Anderson.

How? A front kick is the most basic kick in Karate.

so it was true after all. what a strange thing to do..

Back