Jones/Sonnen....Has There Ever Been

Cheal almost beat the invincible anderson in their first fight, he was moments away from winning.

To say he has no shot is ridiculous, of course he does.

Pulver /Luazon was way bigger of a mismatch and look what happened.

Being hypothetical, what would have happened if Cheal hadn't gotten subbed at the end of round 5, and decided to call out jones for his next fight.

Would you fools be saying he had no chance then??

In Jones brief tenure fighting mma we could fill a whole page on Jones opponents who were bigger than him (size wise). Look how those fights translated.

Jones hasn't faced a heavyweight at light heavyweight. I'm sure this will be the first time a 205 title fight is fought with one of the guys weighing 240lb on fight night.

Chael isn't slow either, he is very agile with the amount of weight he carries unlike most big guys. Watch him against Anderson, he's quicker than him. His striking is just very ordinary and he struggles to inflict damage with his top control.

If Jones gets Chael down I have no doubt the fight will end within 3 minutes. I can't say the reverse though because Chael for some reason or another has failed to work out how to damage opponents effectively with his control. Maybe with his new size and strength he can finally do it, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Cheal almost beat the invincible anderson in their first fight, he was moments away from winning.

Being hypothetical, what would have happened if Cheal hadn't gotten subbed at the end of round 5, and decided to call out jones for his next fight.

Yes cause Jones has some of the best wrestling in the UFC

Never taken down

One thing I feel you are forgetting oroverlooking is Jones wrestling and tdd is lightyears ahead of Anderson. Not a knock on Silva because his striking is also way better than Jones. If you're expecting Sonnen to take Jones down as effortlessly as he did to Silva you are in for a very rude awakening.

Just to clarify... He was only like 33% on his take downs on AS so the "Effortlessly" is kind of hard to understand.

We have never seen Jones go up against an opponent with good MMA wrestling, in fact I think Sonnen will be the first to actually use it. Rashad has great wrestling but he didn't do anything in his fight with JBJ. One thing we know about Sonnen is that he'll pressure the hell out of JBJ, and at the very least spam td's. I think Sonnen will get JBJ down at least once, for how long is unknown and getting subbed or reversed is probable.

That's a lot of "almosts" and "what ifs."

He lost to Silva twice, and Jon Jones has nothing to do with Anderson Silva.

Kind of weird that Chael would call out a guy who just beat Brandon Vera and Vladi Mady don't you think?

Jones TDD is better than Andersons I have no doubt. The problem with Jones is he has an unbalanced frame (very top heavy, thin legs). This means a wrestler like Chael if he can get him on his back won't have much difficulty staying there.

But Chael dominating a round with top control is nothing if he can't figure out how to do damage. And I'm sure Jones will stuff quite a few take downs if the fight goes to 5 rounds meaning a lot will be fought standing.

Chael is a better wrestler than Rashad and will be 20lb heavier than when Rashad faced Jones. Jones didn't want to wrestle with Rashad at all. I'm not sure if Chael can get Jones down but if he does expect it to be like Anderson unable to do anything.

You had me nodding initially in your post when you were stating Jones'dimensions and the like however you lost me when you said Jones would not be able to do anything if he got on his back I mean just because we have never seen him in that predicament l doesn't mean he can't hold his own...Old orangutan limbs coiling his arms around Sonnen from the down position or landing from 6 to 12 elbows on the middle of his forehead is really not that far fetched. Jones is as close to a savant in every other aspect is it really hard to imagine him being at least half way decent off his back?

Jones hasn't faced a heavyweight at light heavyweight. I'm sure this will be the first time a 205 title fight is fought with one of the guys weighing 240lb on fight night.

Chael isn't slow either, he is very agile with the amount of weight he carries unlike most big guys. Watch him against Anderson, he's quicker than him. His striking is just very ordinary and he struggles to inflict damage with his top control.

If Jones gets Chael down I have no doubt the fight will end within 3 minutes. I can't say the reverse though because Chael for some reason or another has failed to work out how to damage opponents effectively with his control. Maybe with his new size and strength he can finally do it, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

what makes you think chael will way 240 pounds on fight night not that I'm disagreeing with you but I just really genuinely didn't know it was possible to rehydrate that much weight in 1 day

Just to clarify.. He was only like 33% on his take downs on AS so the "Effortlessly" is kind of hard to understand.

We have never seen Jones go up against an opponent with good MMA wrestling, in fact I think Sonnen will be the first to actually use it. Rashad has great wrestling but he didn't do anything in his fight with JBJ. One thing we know about Sonnen is that he'll pressure the hell out of JBJ, and at the very least spam td's. I think Sonnen will get JBJ down at least once, for how long is unknown and getting subbed or reversed is probable.
if I had to bet money I would wager that Jones would not be taken down during the chael fight however I'm not naive..I wouldn't be shocked if he got taken down. Just ain't counting on it

lol. Sonnen lost to Anderson, a fighter who does not have any wrestling really. Sonnen lost twice with the second showing being his first true TKO. So, unlike Anderson, Jones has a wrestling background, a strong one at that plus Chael is fighting bigger guys now. We know Chael has little to offer else where besides toughness. Yes, anything can happen...but Chael really doesn't have a lot to offer Jones. With that said, it should be a very interesting fight to say the least.

lol. Sonnen lost to Anderson, a fighter who does not have any wrestling really. Sonnen lost twice with the second showing being his first true TKO. So, unlike Anderson, Jones has a wrestling background, a strong one at that plus Chael is fighting bigger guys now. We know Chael has little to offer else where besides toughness. Yes, anything can happen...but Chael really doesn't have a lot to offer Jones. With that said, it should be a very interesting fight to say the least.

The two wrestling styles that they have are different but I don't expect Chael to look phenomenal anywhere... I won't dismiss the thought that Sonnen could get Jones down, but I'm not confident in his skill set once it goes there lol.

I agree that it should be an interesting fight though, the one thing that Chael has that his other opponents lacked is tenacity and relentlessness. That dude doesn't care he'll keep coming forward like the terminator. And I think we can all agree that he's probably not getting finished in the stand up (at least until later rounds, won't go that far).

A question would be could Chael stuff JBJ's td's if need be?

I think JBJ will make Chael look good and have mercy. :icon_lol:

Just to clarify... He was only like 33% on his take downs on AS so the "Effortlessly" is kind of hard to understand.

all I know is if Chael Sonnen can't get JBJ on the ground, he's screwed. Have you ever seen Chael's standup game? Its worse then some Amateur Fighters and this is coming from a huge Chael fan.

Vladimir Matyushenko, Hamill, Bader and Evans were all suppose to have better wrestling than Jones since they all have better wrestling credentials.

There was a great sig someone used to have I loved, that said something along the lines of: On December 27th, 2008, Frank Mir proved that fights are decided in the cage, not on message boards.

I remember that sig too, it was wonderful. I think it was "People with keyboards" though.

Yes cause Jones has some of the best wrestling in the UFC

Never taken down

The point was no one gave him a chance really, and he proved in that fight he could hang.

I'm not saying the gameplan would be the same, just the dude deserves some credit.

It's not like Jones is fighting a 3rd grader, he's fighting another 205lb fighter.

He has a shot, albeit a slim one

GSP/Diaz. Also I'm definitely bumping this thread after Chael grinds out Jones to a decision. #Believe

Back