Jones/Sonnen....Has There Ever Been

this is kinda how i felt about diaz-henderson. not to the same extent but i couldnt see how nate could win

What the hell does Serra Gsp have in common with this other than it being a total mismatch Serra can atleast deliver a haymaker, Chael punches like a featherweight

matt%20serra%20ufc%20belt.jpg

Shut up TS.

What the hell does Serra Gsp have in common with this other than it being a total mismatch Serra can atleast deliver a haymaker, Chael punches like a featherweight

<--insert pic of Chael dropping Anderson here.

Yeah Serra can throw such amazing haymakers is probably why he had never KOd anyone in his life before he made GSP tap to strikes.:icon_lol:

JDS v Mir

Everybody knew what would happen. Most pointless match making ever.

MMA simply can't work that way. You can't think of a fight between two high level guys (and yes, despite not being as good as JDS, Mir is definitely high level) as pointless.

There was a great sig someone used to have I loved, that said something along the lines of: On December 27th, 2008, Frank Mir proved that fights are decided in the cage, not on message boards.

What did that mean? Maybe you don't know this but NO ONE gave Frank a chance going into his first fight with Big Nog. This was before Frank had shown any stand up, and it was back when his cardio was thought to be worse than ww bj penn..

so basically on paper:
-nog had great boxing, while mir had sloppy punches
-nog had way better bjj
-nog had a great chin, while mir had a shitty chin
-nog had amazing cardio while mir tended to gas in the 1st round

And guess what? Frank beat the shit out of him.

This has happened many times in MMA. On paper, BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar was a pointless match. People literally thought it was going to be BJ's easiest fight since Joe Stevenson
-bj had better boxing (or so they thought)
-more power
-better bjj
-submissions
-chin

so it was a guy with better boxing and bjj, a guy who could finish and actually had power, vs a little guy who never hardly finished and had no power or submissions.

Seemed completely pointless.

except guess what? Edgar won. Then he won again dominantly in the rematch.

So sometimes things turn out like you expect (like jds/mir) but sometimes you get surprised and find out you're wrong (like nog/mir)

This was a gigantic upset as well:

2009-07_bj-penn-offfatfuture001.jpg

This is the first fight I can remember where I can't imagine a single way for one of the fighters to win.

Vitor Belfort vs Randy Couture 1.

Zing! :icon_chee

Fantastic moment in the sport.

It just goes to prove, ya never really know... :wink:

P.S. Lots of great examples here. Noice job, ya blokes!&#9824;

This is the first fight I can remember where I can't imagine a single way for one of the fighters to win.

I actually liken this fight to how I felt about Machida vs bader and this will end as embarrassingly for Chael if not worse

All of those matches in old school WWF when an up-and-coming star faced the Brooklyn Brawler.

GSP v Serra

Since Sonnen has knockout power

Back