Jones solidified himself as goat by not only beating elite fighters, but

grimballer

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Beating them in their own game.

Can't remember a fighter as game as jones. Not only is he beating elite fighters n making it look easy, he's also beating them at their own game.

Last night, jones could've take easier approach n jab Cormier all night, but instead he actually chose to clinch with Olympic wrestler n outwrestled him.

The only guy to come somewhat close to that was fedor, but even then it's nothing compared to jones.

Even the all mighty fedor refused to fight "mw" vitor on short notice. He's a dangerous fighter for anybody. Expect jones. Jones took that fight, beat him up standing n subd bjj black belt

He's truly one if a kind

Last night, jones could've take easier approach n jab Cormier all night,

Jones' jab is horrendous, he would have gotten KO'd if he tried to jab his way to a victory.
He performed like a stud.

Stop saying this garbage. Jones can not strike. Cormier tagged his face over and over. Cage clinching is Jones's best strength and he is doing it every fight every chance he gets now.

It doesn't matter how he wins to be the GOAT, it's all about actually winning.

Jones TKO's Fedor pretty easily

While I kind of agree, I also think it's a little misleading. What he does time and time again is break people with body shots, kicks and elbows, and then proceed to impose whatever endgame he choses.

While you can certainly say he outwrestled Cormier, one of the main components to his later takedowns was certainly earlier damage and the general pace of the fight. To an even greater degree, his subs of Vitor and Machida are results of damage more than pure grappling prowess. That's not a knock on him, this is MMA, he puts it together in an excellent manner, but he always figths his own fights, on his own premises as often as he can. I don't really think can be said he beats his opponents at their own game to the same degree as e.g. Fedor-Nogueira and Fedor-Cro Cop, but that's not really a requirement either.

Those that means Gus' game is getting his face beaten in? If so, Jones certainly beat him at that too.

While I kind of agree, I also think it's a little misleading. What he does time and time again is break people with body shots, kicks and elbows, and then proceed to impose whatever endgame he choses.

While you can certainly say he outwrestled Cormier, one of the main components to his later takedowns was certainly earlier damage and the general pace of the fight. To an even greater degree, his subs of Vitor and Machida are results of damage more than pure grappling prowess. That's not a knock on him, this is MMA, he puts it together in an excellent manner, but he always figths his own fights, on his own premises as often as he can. I don't really think can be said he beats his opponents at their own game to the same degree as e.g. Fedor-Nogueira and Fedor-Cro Cop, but that's not really a requirement either.

That is a good point. Certainly something to thing about. But didn't Fedor rock Nog and beat him up before Nog pulled guard? It's been a while since I saw that fight.

i agree, i was picking DC and will never doubt Jones again. pure freak

He is close. I think in order to do it, he's gonna need 11 defended. That or 17 wins in a row. He is very close though

Fedor would be beaten in 1 round. Fedor is a demigod to his fanboys. They think fedor can control animals

Beating them in their own game.

Can't remember a fighter as game as jones. Not only is he beating elite fighters n making it look easy, he's also beating them at their own game.

Last night, jones could've take easier approach n jab Cormier all night, but instead he actually chose to clinch with Olympic wrestler n outwrestled him.

The only guy to come somewhat close to that was fedor, but even then it's nothing compared to jones.

Even the all mighty fedor refused to fight "mw" vitor on short notice. He's a dangerous fighter for anybody. Expect jones. Jones took that fight, beat him up standing n subd bjj black belt

He's truly one if a kind

He needs to go on nearly a 10 year unbeaten streak fight people atleast his own size oh and also
Cormier rounds 1,2,3.

Good summary that. You could even say his sub of Rampage was similarly a result of damage as opposed to better grappling (though he's a better grappler than Page).

Jones' jab is horrendous, he would have gotten KO'd if he tried to jab his way to a victory.
He performed like a stud.

Jon is good at what he does, not the best boxing, not the best kickboxing.
His gimmicks are hilarious to watch, and you wonder how he gets away with all of that flashy stuff.

Jon needs to fight 10 years against cans (e.g. Zuluzinho, Ogawa, Schall...) and then he will be goat.

That is a good point. Certainly something to thing about. But didn't Fedor rock Nog and beat him up before Nog pulled guard? It's been a while since I saw that fight.
I had to recheck to be sure. He hit him with two or three good punches, and then ragdolled him into the ropes. Nog got guard, but he didn't really pull it, he was semi-down already. I don't think he was rocked or hurt enough from the punches to make much of a difference. At least he plays very actively from his guard straight afterwards, and they grapple for over a full minute before Fedor is able to start unleashing punches on the ground. Fedor jumped into the dangerous guard of a clear headed opponent. That's what's awesome about him, but it's also what got him subbed against Werdum. Jones doesn't take that kind of risk, which in a way is a little less awesome, but at the same time it's smarter fighting, and smart fighting has a beauty of its own.

Edit: Watching the opening of Fedor-Nog again, I realize I forgot how dangerous Nog's guard looks at first. Fedor has a pretty defensive posture from the top the first few minutes, mostly neutralizing setups and not getting much work done.

Last edited:
Back