Jones Reluctant to Superfight Israel Because "He's Not Even a Legend"

Who is a legend?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg

“Maybe I need to step outside of Las Vegas and fight in these markets where people don’t see me too often,” Jones said (transcript via MMA Junkie). “I think that’s going to be important. If I can possibly break numbers here in Houston, I can only imagine what would happen if I went to Australia or one of these other countries where they’d never expect to see me. The people would come out and that’s what it’s all about. He is (a big draw). I bet I’d be even bigger.

“I have no interest in Israel at the end of the day. Anderson Silva was a guy everyone wanted to see me fight. I never wanted to do it because I had so much respect for Anderson. I feel the same way with Izzy, but it’s not coming from a place of respect. My career isn’t based around fighting him. For him to fight me, it would be huge for his resume. For me, I feel like I already have so many legends under my resume. He’s not even a legend.

“We’ve all seen that video of him fighting some Alex guy [Pereira] and catching a clean overhand right. He’s very human to me. He’s not this special guy. I don’t see what everybody else is seeing in him. I think his whole anime stuff and how he’s all antics with his hands and all this crazy stuff. I think that’s kind of entertaining to a certain [young] fan base. For me, it’s like ‘I would slap you. Get out of here, kid.’”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/jon-jones-believes-he-is-a-bigger-draw-than-israel-adesanya-even-in-australia/

Jones - 10 title defenses

Israel - 0 title defenses

Wait until Israel gets 3 title defenses than he'll be interested.

Jones is the GOAT

Israel is the new flavor of the month.

Let’s see if he can get past Yoel or Costa first. He got rocked by Fatselum twice. Let’s see how his chin holds up in his next two fights.

Waiting to see if Jones will call out Stipe if he wins tomorrow night. I think thats what Stipe is also waiting on before deciding who to fight next.

Lol “that alex guy”.
The double champ of glory...

I would lie if I said I wasn't interested in this fight, but I am more interested in seeing Jones fight Ngannou at HW if it really is going to be a super-fight.

I kind of agree. These cross-division fights mean most when the champs are established. That's why GSP vs Penn was so big at the time, they were both easily the best in their respective divisions.

Jones confirms yet again that he didn't want to fight Silva

Why do GSP fanboys keep spewing the false narrative that Silva ducked Jones is beyond me. Neither of the parties wanted to fight.

It is way different than GSPs potential fight against Silva. Dana wanted it, Silva wanted it, the fans wanted it. The Canadian was the only one who did not.

I have no doubt in my mind that Jones would sign a contract to fight Izzy with zero hesitation.

Jones at HW far more interesting than Izzy at LHW.

Plus he's right, Israel whilst MW champion still has so much to do before he's anywhere near the level of Jones. Problem is that by the time he's scored several successful title defences Jones will either be a HW or retired.

Waiting to see if Jones will call out Stipe if he wins tomorrow night. I think thats what Stipe is also waiting on before deciding who to fight next.

It ain't Stipe's style to "decide who to fight next" though, at least when it comes to title challengers. He may have floated his preference for someone new but that doesn't mean he won't take what the UFC matchmaker gives him. What he's waiting for is his next doctor appointment to confirm (or not) that the eye's still OK now that he's back to training and sparring.

Jones confirms yet again that he didn't want to fight Silva

Why do GSP fanboys keep spewing the false narrative that Silva ducked Jones is beyond me. Neither of the parties wanted to fight.

It is way different than GSPs potential fight against Silva. Dana wanted it, Silva wanted it, the fans wanted it. The Canadian was the only one who did not.

In what way is that better? Regardless of Jon's feelings towards the Silva fight it still shows that Anderson wanted to fight the smaller GSP but not the larger Jones.

Sign the paper Jon just to break Israel's stupid mouth once and for all
It'd make my day

Smith, Santos and Reyes are legends tho

<34>

Jones is right in this one, he is an ATG, let Israel dominate Costa, Cannonier and Romero and then their fight will feel like an authentic super fight

In what way is that better? Regardless of Jon's feelings towards the Silva fight it still shows that Anderson wanted to fight the smaller GSP but not the larger Jones.
The Spider went up 3X in weight and finished all of his fights in the first round.

He also fought 40 lbs heavier DC on two days notice. Silva is not scared of anyone

This is ridiculous.... and no slight on Israel- maybe he is next best thing......maybe not. I'm inclined to think that he is because he is a middleweight who seems to evolve with each fight but I still have to slow down. KG is a welterweight who has found some sucess at 185 , mainly, because of state of division. He then gave Izz all he could handle until end of decision. He then beat another welterweight turned middleweight and Rob a great fighter but I question his health [ at this point] before every fight. He wont say anything cause he reeks of class.

Lol- it's a tad early to put Jones and Izz in same sentence.....let alone " superfight".

Whitaker destruction was impressive but that was his first " wow " fight - as far as I'm concerned. Again, I'm more on side of an eventual super fight but I wont entertain notion, now.

Difference in character:
Silva- Fights DC, a heavyweight and one of the GOATS, on short notice.
GSP- Fights one eye old Bisping, a lucky journeyman.

In other words, Israel is too dangerous and relatively unknown to take the risk.

Back