Jones Pulling a Sonnen?

Arrrrgh

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Of course this is just speculation like all the other Jones threads atm, but..

Do you think Jones is ultimately just trying to generate more interest in the inevitable Gus fight by drawing out signing on?

Dana said he has 5 fights left and wants DC next instead of Gus. A day earlier Jones tweets, "Let's make the distinction between bad business and bad press." Is Jones just delusional to think its a better business decision to take the bad press (and terrible risk) of fighting DC before Gus or is he just an evil genius sonnen-like promoter--Willing to say/do whatever so long as it gets more people to buy the ppv that he gets a cut of?

Obviously the difference is Sonnen was at least funny at times.

I doubt it, no offence to him but JBJ isn't that clever ie conniving

TS, you only need to watch the first fight between Jones and Gus to see why he wants to fight Cormier instead of Gustafsson. Its so obvious its sickening how people cant just admit that..

Sonnen, unlike Jones, is always willing to fight anyone, anywhere, anytime.

Jones just whines like a little bitch.

I doubt it, no offence to him but JBJ isn't that clever ie conniving

Where does that even come from. Jon isn't rampage or wand in interviews and post fight pressers. He speaks clearly, directly, answers questions concisely, and intelligently. Maybe I missed something.

TS, you only need to watch the first fight between Jones and Gus to see why he wants to fight Cormier instead of Gustafsson. Its so obvious its sickening how people cant just admit that..

I'm not denying that. I think Jon knows Gus will take the fight too him. But he also knows if he beats Gus for a second time the only interesting fight left in his division is Cormier. He'd have cleaned it out. Alternatively, if he loses to Gus his legacy takes a hit but not his wallet: the trilogy will get a ton of buys and Jon is as dangerous for Gus as Gus is for Jon. So is Jon just trying to milk this thing for all he can?

I would agree that Daniel Cormier makes better business sense. Cormier just had a high profile win against Dan Henderson and won with relative ease. He's made a lot of noise about wanting to take the LHW belt from Jones and it's been a lot of buildup to that fight.

I would also agree that another potential five round war against Gus would not look as attractive especially with the lack of mainstream hype.

I think he's more in control of what he's doing and how he comes off than people think, but not so much or well enough that he's some kind of hype mastermind, which I think Sonnen comparatively is.

I would agree that Daniel Cormier makes better business sense. Cormier just had a high profile win against Dan Henderson and won with relative ease. He's made a lot of noise about wanting to take the LHW belt from Jones and it's been a lot of buildup to that fight.

I would also agree that another potential five round war against Gus would not look as attractive especially with the lack of mainstream hype.

Better business sense?? Lack of mainstream hype?? What are you talking about????

There's no question a Gus/Jones II PPV would do much better than a Jones/DC PPV would.

Firstly, a fight with Gus will make more noise in Europe, so it will have a wider reach. Secondly, there are more casuals aware of the threat Gus brings to the table than DC, considering they all watched a fight of the year bout with Gus that ended in a controversial decision. And lastly, there's been way more chatter that has revolved around a Gus fight than any other fight ever since UFC 165. DC was still fighting at HW at the time and wasn't even a blip on Jones' radar.

Clearly Gus is the better fight business wise.

Jones won that fight. We get it, your guy lost a close decision that most objective fans scored for Jones, and your panties are still in a bunch. Jones does not get cut early this time, and finishes the Mauler. Leaving Gus with exactly one more top ten win than I have at the moment...

I think he's more in control of what he's doing and how he comes off than people think, but not so much or well enough that he's some kind of hype mastermind, which I think Sonnen comparatively is.
I think it's almost the opposite. Jones is not very good at marketing. His biggest problem is that he can't decide if you wants to be the good guy or the bad guy, or if he wants to fight anyone, anytime or if he wants to pick and choose. He comes off as if he wants to do all of those at the same time, which makes it seem fake, which it probably is.

Compare to Sonnen. Sonnen always says outrageous, silly and even stupid things. But he always comes off as if he really believes so and it's clear that Sonnen plays the bad guy role and is willing to fight anyone, anytime.

I don't know why Jones is doing this do himself. This isn't beeing a heel, this is just being blatantly annoying.

Shame, because he's such a skilled and entertaining fighter. He could've reached Anderson/GSP popularity levels if he had handled his image better.

Better business sense?? Lack of mainstream hype?? What are you talking about????

There's no question a Gus/Jones II PPV would do much better than a Jones/DC PPV would.

Firstly, a fight with Gus will make more noise in Europe, so it will have a wider reach. Secondly, there are more casuals aware of the threat Gus brings to the table than DC, considering they all watched a fight of the year bout with Gus that ended in a controversial decision. And lastly, there's been way more chatter that has revolved around a Gus fight than any other fight ever since UFC 165. DC was still fighting at HW at the time and wasn't even a blip on Jones' radar.

Clearly Gus is the better fight business wise.

I don't disagree that another Gus fight would outsell a DC fight, but you can't use Europe as your reasoning. They don't do PPV in Europe.

I don't disagree that another Gus fight would outsell a DC fight, but you can't use Europe as your reasoning. They don't do PPV in Europe.

That's not what I was saying....I said that Gus would create more noise in Europe...meaning Gus gives the UFC greater value because he can boost greater interest for MMA there.

Obviously PPV doesn't count there.

One is a Champ, the other isn't.

Either way, Chael Sonnen would fight anyone that called him out. Anyone.

He'd just be down for it. No matter how much you or anyone likes Jones, you can't pretend like he has that same mentality.

He's a great fighter, but he just hasn't shown the same quality.

That's not what I was saying....I said that Gus would create more noise in Europe...meaning Gus gives the UFC greater value because he can boost greater interest for MMA there.

Obviously PPV doesn't count there.

Ah, but for Jones he would only care about things that increase his pay meaning essentially PPV points. Buzz in Europe (undeniable) would help the UFC, but not Jones.

JBJ cares about JBJ and that is it.

Either way, Chael Sonnen would fight anyone that called him out. Anyone.

He'd just be down for it. No matter how much you or anyone likes Jones, you can't pretend like he has that same mentality.

He's a great fighter, but he just hasn't shown the same quality.

Jones ran through everyone on his way to the title and after but one fight. Most people didnt know who Chael was until a few years ago. Chael has less leverage.

Jones ran through everyone on his way to the title and after but one fight. Most people didnt know who Chael was until a few years ago. Chael has less leverage.

And yet Chael managed to talk his way into three championship fights...and is on his way to doing a 4th.

Jones is constantly trying to get out of having to fight either Gus or DC.

See the difference?

Ah, but for Jones he would only care about things that increase his pay meaning essentially PPV points. Buzz in Europe (undeniable) would help the UFC, but not Jones.

JBJ cares about JBJ and that is it.

But that's what doesn't make any sense...if a fight with Gus would do more PPV, then it would be in his best interest to make that fight, but instead he doesn't want to do it.

Seems to me and to everyone else that he's ducking Gus.

Back