Jones now under investigation for perjury

they were discussing the penalty for the fight and jones used nike "dropping" him as a reason for leniency. as in "you shouldnt punish me too much, i lost my nike sponsorship which is a huge deal".

i would be super pissed if i went easy on somebody because they had already taken a huge hit, only to hear him openly talking to the press about lying later.

That would be really petty. Seemed like just a passing comment to me that had no bearing on the actual precedings.

Not really. An oath is an oath, a lie is a lie.

If they don't do something about it then it gives the wrong message and makes people think that they can get away with a lie, no matter how petty they think it is.

"Things just keep getting worse for UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. On top of the positive drug test, he is now being investigated for perjury:

Jon Jones told the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) in September that he lost his Nike endorsement due to a brawl he had with Daniel Cormier during a press event in the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Last week, Jones backtracked from that statement and now the Nevada deputy attorney general is reviewing whether or not Jones perjured himself under oath at the hearing, MMAFighting.com has learned.

NAC executive director Bob Bennett said the commission is aware of Jones' comments prior to UFC 182 and the matter has been sent up the ladder".

"They're considering it for review," Bennett said. "It's nothing new to us.

"It would be concerning if anyone lied during testimony."

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/449593/Jones-now-under-investigation-for-perjury/

Mod, pls delete if thread redundant.

Trying to sue him for stating his opinion is reaching. That other thread might be right that the illuminati is out to get him. if only he could fight them in the cage. then he might not lose.

He didn't really backtrack. At least not from what I remember. He said he was going to leave them anyway but the fight caused it to happen then rather than later. Or something like that.

Trying to sue him for stating his opinion is reaching. That other thread might be right that the illuminati is out to get him. if only he could fight them in the cage. then he might not lose.

I agree, and I don't think anything will come of this. To be fair, however, the Nike claim was definitely presented in the hearing as fact by Jon's lawyer. I can't recall what question Jones was asked personally or how he responded, but the lawyer definitely claimed the sponsorship was ended as a direct result of the brawl.

Not really. An oath is an oath, a lie is a lie.

If they don't do something about it then it gives the wrong message and makes people think that they can get away with a lie, no matter how petty they think it is.

I agree...The Commission has no backbone though. A cash cow like Jon Jones, is probably just going to get a slap on the wrist... The Ufc/and NAC didn't even release this report when they got the results... Why? I think it is because they feared public backlash, which may have caused them to cancel the bout. As long as there is $ to be made, the commission, will look the other way/ only make examples out of fighters who are at the end of the road or who don't play ball with the system (Nick Diaz).

Man, If Only Roy Nelson... had gotten the job as the Nevada Athletic Commission's executive director... All of this nonsense would end.
[YT]mPkxYdX3M_s[/YT]

Roy Nelson has applied for the Nevada Athletic Commission's executive director opening.

Let's just say UFC president Dana White isn't worried that "Big County" will be overseeing his Las Vegas events any time soon.

"What a f------- moron," was White's appraisal of the situation at a Monday media luncheon. "Let me tell you what, if he puts in an application at f------- Kinko's, he isn't getting that job. Let alone the Nevada state athletic commission." http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/1/27/5352052/dana-white-on-roy-nelsons-nac-appliction-what-a-f-moron

End of Rant/

they were discussing the penalty for the fight and jones used nike "dropping" him as a reason for leniency. as in "you shouldnt punish me too much, i lost my nike sponsorship which is a huge deal".

i would be super pissed if i went easy on somebody because they had already taken a huge hit, only to hear him openly talking to the press about lying later.

Sounds like you went ahead and read the article.

An unusual approach to acquiring information around here, almost unprecedented really.

For those not ready to click the link and read the article, here are the relevant parts.

The Commission asked if there were outside repercussions to the fight, Jones said Nike dropped him because of it. Then he backtracked and said he'd already been dropped by Nike a few months before but the fight "sped up" the process and so he lost a few months worth of Nike credits.

So yes, he lied to get leniency.

The commission's decision for discipline on Jones and Cormier for the scuffle was shaped by whether or not there were outside consequences.

When asked by the NAC in September if there were any ramifications to the brawl with Cormier, Jones said he lost sponsors and then confirmed it was Nike.

Jones' lawyer Ofir Ventura said the contract was "over six figures" per year.

"It's pretty damaging if you really consider it," Ventura said.

Last week on a media conference call, Jones backed off his claims that he lost the Nike deal due to the brawl.

Jones said he and Nike made a mutual choice to part ways months before he and Cormier got into it in the MGM Grand lobby.

Jones clarified his statement further after UFC 182 open workouts Dec. 31, saying that he didn't lie to the NAC: the brawl "sped up" his split with Nike and he lost money in the process.

"Nike did not drop me because of that fight and I kind of owe an apology to Nike for saying they dropped me because of the fight. They actually didn't. I had like thousands of dollars of credit left on my Nike account that I never got to spend...So I lost several thousand dollars because of that fight, so technically that fight was the reason for thousands of dollars being out of my bank that I couldn't receive. So technically, they have nothing to come back on me for."

I mean they really can't get him for anything. He could just say that was his belief that that was why Nike dropped him. It's not like Nike has to give a reason for dropping athletes and the brawl didn't help. He just later probably said the brawl probably didn't have anything to do with Nike dropping him which it didn't. Nike just doesn't see the positive growth with MMA.

Depends what Nike says. AG can request or even subpena Nike for any communications dated prior to the hearing, this would prove Jones knew full well he was lying to the Commission. Nike won't lie to an AG for him, that's for sure.

That would be really petty. Seemed like just a passing comment to me that had no bearing on the actual precedings.

I disagree. At the trial he said he lost the Nike contract as punishment for the brawl, as a demonstration of the negative repercussions he already suffered because of the brawl. But that wasn't the truth. If Nike was going to terminate his contract anyway (as he admitted later) then it had no bearing on his testimony concerning the brawl and he perjured himself to gain sympathy from the AC board.

I mean they really can't get him for anything. He could just say that was his belief that that was why Nike dropped him. It's not like Nike has to give a reason for dropping athletes and the brawl didn't help. He just later probably said the brawl probably didn't have anything to do with Nike dropping him which it didn't. Nike just doesn't see the positive growth with MMA.

Unless there is letter or other form of communication from Nike to Jones citing the reason they were dropping him and/or if the notice was given before the brawl occurred.

This is silly, but funny as fuck.

Stupid thing to get in trouble for, but if he wouldn't have lied, he wouldn't be in this mess.

Well, not this mess, anyway.

Isn't that the reason they dropped him? I didn't think it was an opinion.

Unless there is letter or other form of communication from Nike to Jones citing the reason they were dropping him and/or if the notice was given before the brawl occurred.

Exactly and you have to know that's exactly where the AG is going to go. They gave Wanderlei a lifetime ban. Wonder what they would give Jones for Lying to manipulate the Commission. Nike being dragged in to this can't be too pleased either.

Isn't that the reason they dropped him? I didn't think it was an opinion.

Jones admitted just a week or two ago that Nike told him they were dropping him because they didn't see the potential for growth in the MMA market for their products. If they told him this before the brawl, then he lied about it being a repercussion of the brawl.

Exactly and you have to know that's exactly where the AG is going to go. They gave Wanderlei a lifetime ban. Wonder what they would give Jones for Lying to manipulate the Commission. Nike being dragged in to this can't be too pleased either.
I wonder if they'll be as harsh on a 27 year old champion in his prime as they were with a guy near the end of his career. With the suspected PED use though they might throw the book at him.

I disagree. At the trial he said he lost the Nike contract as punishment for the brawl, as a demonstration of the negative repercussions he already suffered because of the brawl. But that wasn't the truth. If Nike was going to terminate his contract anyway (as he admitted later) then it had no bearing on his testimony concerning the brawl and he perjured himself to gain sympathy from the AC board.

You do have a point.

He lied to influence to Commission to show leniency. Doesn't get much worse than that.

He's a "Playa" and played the NSAC. :eek:

I agree.
And I can't stand Jones.

Edit:

Yeah that is a good point, though.

Last edited:
This is silly, but funny as fuck. Stupid thing to get in trouble for, but if he wouldn't have lied, he wouldn't be in this mess. Well, not this mess, anyway.

Well politically it might be their way of getting out of potential trouble for the cocaine test IMO, for which they technically didn't have the right to administer.

Jones could potentially pursue them legally for a civil rights violation since they've admitted they shouldn't have tested him twice out of competition for recreational drugs. Someone else has raised the issue that his results ought not to have been published as well.

For this reason their investigation into him lying to the commission under oath could be used as leverage against any future legal action he might take against them. Personally I predict that any penalties will be minor and just for show.

Back