Jones not ready for HW or is Gus just that good?

You can't draw conclusions until the medical report comes back.

Did JoJo really wreck his foot early in the fight? If so, he may be ready for HW, and Gus isn't that good.

Any fighter can look good when his opponent is badly injured for 4-5 rounds.

Since this keeps happening to Jones, it may be reasonable to expect it to happen in hos future fights as well. Being injury prone is not a good thing.

Gus is that good and it was clear before this fight that Jones' lack of KO power and the stronger, better wrestlers at the top of the HW div would be too much for Jones. Good luck taking down JDS or Overeem, or winning by volume kicking.

He'd likely beat the rest, would likely beat good guys like Nog, Nelson, Rothwell and a top guy in Werdum.

Gus is that good. But after watching him stuff all but one of Jones takedowns and even taking him down i'm positive that Cain would absolutely maul Jones. There were plenty of people claiming that Jones would outwrestle Cain in threads relating how Jones would do at HW and i'm pretty certain that they feel kind of silly now.

A little of Both.

Gus has the skills and ... Jones' main strengths are negated when facing someone that is more his size.

No matter how good Gus is at wrestling now ... there is no way he is better than Rashad, Sonnen, Bader, etc etc etc .... all those wrestlers that jones has no trouble taking down.

The difference was that Gus is not just good at wrestling now but also matches Jones' size.

Size matters.
Skills matters.

Hhhmmm...I wonder how many of the "Jones would wreck the hw division" crowd will show up in these threads from now on? Seriously, though, I haven't changed my stance on it at all in light of the Gus fight; I think Jones would be a legit top-10 hw, but would hit the wall pretty quick against the top 5 or so. Jones just seems much better suited for success at lhw, and should probably stay there if he's interested in staying undefeated.

I think this puts a halt on the whole Jones moving to HW talk. If he fought JDS he would get light up. If he cant take down these bigger fighters he's going to be getting hit alot more. And to be honest Jones takedowns are mostly from the clinch,trips etc. He doesn't have a fantastic shot. Very interested to see him against Werdum, Big Foot, Reem,Travis Browne. He could lose all of them.

If he had trouble with Gus' boxing and TDD, dos Santos would prison rape him. I think Jones will be leery of HW for awhile.

Both TS. That also means I don't believe Gus would be successful at HW (not the level of success he found at LHW). Gus would be in serious trouble against the good grapplers of the HW division. And Jones lacks the power at HW and quite frankly, is not nearly as dominant when his physical advantages are mitigated. His strength advantage actually becomes a weakness in that division. And none of this should have been surprising to anyone.

I think Saturday's fight will keep Jones at LHW for a while anyway.

they are both good enough for lhw or hw. what does that matter

Little bit of column A little bit of column B. I think it's ridiculous when people say any heavyweight would crush Jon Jones just on account of the weight difference, in case you guys don't remember some natural Light Heavyweights like Wand and Randy more than held their own against very good heavyweights,

To make this short and sweet it's probably both.

No gus is that good...so is Jones and so is Glover they can all do well at HW only three that I can see doing well in the HW division..

Glover gets wrecked at heavyweight, also against Gus and Bones too. He hits hard and has a well rounded skillset and all....but -Ryan Bader- was beating him until he got over confident... the dude that ended Titos 50 straight losses streak.

Back