Jones not ready for HW or is Gus just that good?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Sickplicity, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Sickplicity

Sickplicity Blue Belt

Think about it, everybody is clamoring that Jones is not ready for HW because apparently this is the first time he's faced someone with almost equal height & length during his champion reign.

Nobody is counting that Gus might just be that good? Gus is equal in size & hasn't been dominated at all in any of his fights, yes including the Phil Davis fight where he decided to go for his own takedown & got subbed. All his fights are either competitive where he has the slight edge or just pure domination.

Jones & Gus both proved that they're like the Cain & JDS of the LHW division, Jones being the dominant wrestler & Gus being the technical boxer.

I think if Gus wanted to, he could compete at HW & be just as successful at Jones which I believe they're both destined for.

Gus looked significantly bigger than Jones & I know give it 2 more years & we'll eventually see these two clash again at HW.

They're both beasts & they shouldn't be discredited for anything, they're the new breed of Mixed Martial Artists who shut down all opposing competition & they'll continue to make a killing for years to come!

War Bones & The Mauler!

2. chinarice

chinarice Gold Belt

I agree but Glover still deserves a chance to prove he belongs up there with these guys. He has some areas he definitely needs to improve on but the guy has a lot of power and is pretty well rounded. I think he has a shot of beating either Jones or Gus but also believe both of them could beat him, as well.

3. Senkoy

Senkoy Purple Belt

Gus is definitely good, but I'm chocked it took 10 tries for Jon to take him down. I'm not so sure his wrestling can hold him at HW anymore. I really thought Jones would take the HW belt one day, but I'm not so certain now.

4. Petoria

Petoria Brown Belt

I think he would beat everyone except for JDS and Cain

5. DysDave

DysDave Blue Belt

Regardless of anything else, I thought Jones looked substantially bigger than Gus, actually. He has a hell of a lot more upper body mass, Gus looked small to me... Be interesting to know what their respective weights were on the day.

6. TFanatic

TFanatic Silver Belt

For reals. It's hard to see those clinch takedowns work on the top 5 of HW's now, if it wasn't before.

7. MartyMcFry

MartyMcFry Brown Belt

8. Pengu

Pengu Purple Belt

I think both
    The distancing and the shocking take down defense Gusta had-incredible

9. cyrusthevyrus

cyrusthevyrus Black Belt

JDS and Cain would CRUSH jones !

10. ReadWrite

ReadWrite Red Belt Platinum Member

You can't draw conclusions until the medical report comes back.

Did JoJo really wreck his foot early in the fight? If so, he may be ready for HW, and Gus isn't that good.

Any fighter can look good when his opponent is badly injured for 4-5 rounds.

11. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Steel Belt

Robbery Gus won 3 rds!

Isn't that the rest of it? I've seen this shit in 4 threads now. You sound like a dumb ass.

12. IceAndFire**

IceAndFire** Purple Belt

If he struggled to take Alex down, I can't imagine how frustrating it would be for him to fight Cain or JDS.

Taking Cain/JDS out of the equation, the same will still hold true for guys like Barnett, Werdum, Cormier.

His standup has always been good but it's mostly used to frustrate his opponents and set up his wrestling. Plus he lacks KO power, if he attempted to try any of his flashy moves on someone like JDS, he'd get his head knocked off.

After the Gus fight, I have no reason to believe he'd be a top HW competitor. Sure he'd easily beat guys like Gonzaga or Nelson but a top 5 guy like Barnett, DC, Werdum, Cain, JDS? Again I have no reason to believe that he could.

13. 99Silva

99Silva Banned Banned

No gus is that good...so is Jones and so is Glover they can all do well at HW only three that I can see doing well in the HW division..

14. Dart Feld

Dart Feld Steel Belt

I see both being top ten HWs in the future if they committed to bulking the right way and came in around 245.

Depends on the match up for Jones, I still think he could be a top 5 HW and possibly win the title down the line but now I see fights with guys like Miocic being more intriguing than before.

Jones def. showed a good chin last night, not really worried about him not being able to handle "HW power". His cardio was good too, esp. coming on in the later rounds with the pace both were going throughout the bout.

15. TobikanJudan94

TobikanJudan94 Never be game over

Both of them.

Alex is that good,and I don't think Jones is able to defeat elite heavyweights.

16. Project 86

Project 86 Silver Belt

Velasquez would destroy jones with his wrestling,power,cardio,and hands

17. Shoguns Prodigy**

Shoguns Prodigy** Brown Belt

It's both. Gus has the frame and skills to match jones. Now imagine a hw who can match Jones, that's not a good Time

18. Pem123

Pem123 Red Belt

Both, IMO

19. Lightfoot

Lightfoot I'm lovin' it!

Indeed.

20. SSJ16

SSJ16 Blue Belt

I never once thought Jones would win currently against the upper echelon of HWs without some better evidence on how he'd fare against a bigger fighter.

After Saturday, my suspicions seem confirmed. That being said, Gus is that good too but they both should stay at LHW for the time being before anyone of them consider moving up to face the monsters at 205+