Jones needs Jan

TheScorpionDude

Get over here! ~~~~~~~~~~~~==>
Banned
Reaction score
The fastest road to a Jones vs Israel fight is if Jones fights Jan.

If Jones bulks up to HW, he would need to wait for Israel to bulk up from MW->HW which might take forever. Jones might be 40 by then and one of them might lose.

And Izzy won't fight Jones right now at LHW because Jones doesn't hold the title. It would look stupid.

Jan being the champ is also beneficial for Jones cause, well, he's not Reyes :D Reyes had his number while Jan probably doesn't.

Jan vs Jones needs to happen as a setup for the Israel fight.

Discuss...

Why ?

What is the alternative? I'm legit asking.
Jones fights Miocic/Ngannou to become HW champ. No reason for him to move back down to fight a nobody like Jan (no offense, but Jan is actually a nobody). If he wants to fight Adesanya and Adesanya wants to fight him, book that fight as a Catchweight. Why waste his time to fight somebody with zero name recognition to "win" a belt he never lost? It's not that anybody thinks that Jones isn't the best of his division just because he vacated the belt. If anything Jan needs Jones, I see zero reason why Jones needs Jan.

Tbh TS, you actually didn't even make a point why "Jones needs Jan"

If Jones bulks up to HW, he would need to wait for Israel to bulk up from MW->HW which might take forever. Jones might be 40 by then and one of them might lose.

And Izzy won't fight Jones right now at LHW because Jones doesn't hold the title. It would look stupid.

Jan being the champ is also beneficial for Jones cause, well, he's not Reyes :D Reyes had his number while Jan probably doesn't.

Discuss...
You lost me at 'one of them might lose'... Do you have a source confirming that one of them MIGHT lose?

The obvious fight to make is Jones vs Conor.
Jones can EASILY cut 40 more lbs.

I don't think so. Jones has the ability to be an albatross to those he beats. For instance, take Cormier. He's a two division champ, but he never beat Jones. His LW title was 2nd place in the eyes of many. Do you think Jones cares that his last match against Cormier was overturned? I doubt it. I bet Cormier does and laments on it to this day. Reyes could rematch with Blachowicz and win the title, but he'll have the same feeling. Jan hasn't even fought Jones, but he knows the score. Jan has a title that he feels is 2nd place. That's why he called him out.

Last edited:
I think Jon will stay a HW for the rest of his career. If he wins that belt there isn’t much incentive for him to make a somewhat difficult weight cut if he doesn’t have to. He’s already been there and done that at LHW. Izzy already said he would fight at HW so if he really wants that fight, there it is.

A lot of comments on Sherdog over the past couple years are based on JJ NOT jumping to HW because he is scared. As soon as JJ relinquishes his belt to do so, guys say he is ducking Reyes who just got KO'd by Jan.

Now people want Jones to come back to LHW to beat Jan to set up a fight with Israel, a MW?

I want Jones to stick with his move up to HW, win a few, the belt, then ride off into the sunset.

I think Jon will stay a HW for the rest of his career. If he wins that belt there isn’t much incentive for him to make a somewhat difficult weight cut if he doesn’t have to. He’s already been there and done that at LHW. Izzy already said he would fight at HW so if he really wants that fight, there it is.

Adesanya vs Jones is fluff. Izzy talked trash because he knows it won't happen. It's like that guy that says he'll beat your ass, but he can't, because they claim to be on parole.

The fights not gonna happen. Izzy wants to defend the MW belt a few more times. Jones is already old and not gonna wait around. Once he bulks up for heavyweight its really unlikely he'll be able to move back down to LHW. There's no way Izzy is moving up to Hw lol

Discuss...

I agree, and we know Jones is considering it since he tweeted as much. It would be better if it happened now before Jones is 35 and while Adesanya is undefeated. On the other hand, Jones has less to prove and probably knows it would look inconsistent to change his mind and go back to 205. It would look like he's cherrypicking and ducking Reyes, even though it's a good move for him. He could do his thing at HW and make Adesanya come to him. Israel said he's going to HW either way, so it's Jones who has to make a decision.

Could Izzy even make HW?

The Athletic commission will allow someone to fight up a maximum of two weight classes IF the fight organization wants to schedule that fight. The UFC would never do it though, that’s amateur shit. Izzy could just weigh in at 210ish, that would be easy enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Username Required LMAO
Back