Jones is probably the GOAT...

It would be 55 pounds at the high end limit of heavyweight. Fact is that most heavyweights are less than the 265 limit.

Lol it still doesn't compare to the other divisions.

Look at Maldonaldo for an excellent example.

No it doesn't, there is a large weight difference, but you generally don't see anyone weighing less than 220ish. Most heavyweights weigh around what? The 230 to 250 range? Jones could easily go up to about 230-240 and has the height to fight at Heavyweight. I don't see it being an issue at all.

No it doesn't, there is a large weight difference, but you generally don't see anyone weighing less than 220ish. Most heavyweights weigh around what? The 230 to 250 range? Jones could easily go up to about 230-240 and has the height to fight at Heavyweight. I don't see it being an issue at all.

Just come over to the dark side bro.

He made weight wearing pants. He's a LHW. Get over it.

I was actually very surprised about that at the weigh ins. When he kept them on, I was like "dude, you're not going to make weight." Jon was laser focused and disciplined this camp for sure.

Let's look at the math

Without Loss of Generality let weight1 > weight2

% difference in weight = (weight1 - weight2)/(weight2) * 100

Note: an average weight cut is roughly 20 pounds for each division

make the assumption that an average WW today weighs 190 on fight night, an average MW weighs 205 pounds on fight night, and an average LHW weighs 225 on fight night

% difference between WW and MW = (205 - 190)/190 * 100 = 7.89%

% difference between MW and LHW = (225 - 205)/205 * 100 = 9.76%

% difference between (JJ @225) and DC = (248 - 225)/225 * 100 = 10.22%

% difference between (JJ @230) and DC = (248 - 230)/230 * 100 = 7.83%

Clearly you can see that even if you consider JJ as an average sized LHW the % difference between him and DC is only +0.46% more than between a MW and LHW.
However, if we assume JJ is a bigger than average LHW (ie + 5 pounds bigger) then the % difference between him and DC is even less than the difference between a WW and MW.

Last edited:
But any more minute he spends at LHW is a mark on his legacy. It's time to move up to his real weight class. The Jones that fights big guys (that could also fight at HW) like Cormier and Gus looks very different from the Jones that puts on clinics against bloated up MWs like Vitor, Machida etc. Time to go fight JDS, Cain etc.

What do you mean real weight class hater?
Lol he comfortably makes 205.
Did you even weigh in?

Back