Jones is not a hypocrite.

For the past several weeks there have been many revelations made about Jon Jones' private life. From using Coke to sleeping around on his wife, Jones' public image has taken a beating over the past three or so weeks. I'm not interested in discussing the morality of what Jones has done. I'm more interested in explaining why none of this makes Jones a hypocrite.

You see, there are many people out there who are labeling Jones a hypocrite. They say that Jones tries to portray himself as a Christ loving man of God from the Christian tradition yet, they say, he's done somethings that don't seem to vibe with that image.

Well I think this view is wrong. Jon Jones is certainly a Christian and he certainly uses drugs and has extramarital affairs but he is not a hypocrite.

Jon Jones has chosen to involve himself in a philosophy called Christianity. Christianity makes all sorts of recommendations about how people should live their lives and what the moral code for humans should be. But with Christianity's longevity and storied past comes the fact that it is simply a philosophy (one of millions). No reasonable person expects an adherent of a philosophy to follow that philosophy from top to bottom, day and night. To say that Jon Jones has failed to live up to his philosophy in a strict way is to say that he has done what every living human would do in his position.

Jon Jones is not a hypocrite. He is an imperfect practitioner of his chosen philosophy. In other words, he's just like every other practitioner of any philosophy.

I will give two examples of Jones being a hypocrite to shut you up! Rampage was arrested for DUI. Jones in front of the world told Dana that he would never do any thing like that. 2 days latter he raps his Bentley around a pole while drunk. Jon was quoted as saying he rats out on people doing drugs then gets popped for coke. Now shut the hell up!

I personally don't care about the fact he got a dui. I think everyone has at some point in their life driven under influence. Whether it's alcohol, weed, medicine, whatever. Even guys who hate on him for this have done it.

That being said, him saying he wouldn't get a dui, then getting one does make him a hypocrite. This doesn't need to become a theological discussion.

So basically you can't be a hypocrite according to you?

his hypocrisy comes from his actions and words regardless of his religious inclination.

You do realize this implies that someone at one point deemed hypocrisy a negative deed, correct?

He's a hypocrite because his Faith tells him not to be one, and yet he goes about conducting himself in a such a manner.

I personally don't care about the fact he got a dui. I think everyone has at some point in their life driven under influence. Whether it's alcohol, weed, medicine, whatever. Even guys who hate on him for this have done it.

That being said, him saying he wouldn't get a dui, then getting one does make him a hypocrite. This doesn't need to become a theological discussion.

What you believe is wrong! Just because you and Jon drink and drive doesn't everybody does. Not everybody drink or does drugs. Hell for that matter not everybody drives.

The LA Times and NY Times can write about the same story, and guess what?

Both stories won't flow the same way, and may include/ommit things the other doesn't.

Again, the "glaring contradictions" fallacy has been addressed by those who truly care about clearing things up a bit for those who choose to walk this path.

Yes but the two papers don't precieve the factual assertions differently like the example i presented. Genesis one and two are completely different and contradictory explanasions of creation. On top of that wouldn't you expect that writings actually inspired by an all knowing diety might have some amount of cohesion? Your arguement is a fallacy. Try again though

Last edited:
Well said TS, I was raised in the church and can still find my way around the bible. You won't find me in church but at times you can find me in prayer

Not to call you out, Brother, but attending Service won't make you religious...

Scripture tells us that Jesus attended Temple every Sabbath day...

So, why shouldn't we attend Service on a regular basis?

Again, not calling you out, but you should be familiar with Proverbs 27:17 (Iron Sharpen Iron). I love when Joe Rogan uses that phrase, by the way, even though I know he's not a man of Faith..at least not vocal about it, anyway.

Jon Jones is not a hypocrite. He is an imperfect practitioner of his chosen philosophy. In other words, he's just like every other practitioner of any philosophy.

Except this philosophy forces you to worship a deity.

I will give two examples of Jones being a hypocrite to shut you up! Rampage was arrested for DUI. Jones in front of the world told Dana that he would never do any thing like that. 2 days latter he raps his Bentley around a pole while drunk. Jon was quoted as saying he rats out on people doing drugs then gets popped for coke. Now shut the hell up!

Doesn't Rampage have "God's Soldier" (or something to that effect) tatted on his arm?

LOL!

You do realize this implies that someone at one point deemed hypocrisy a negative deed, correct?

He's a hypocrite because his Faith tells him not to be one, and yet he goes about conducting himself in a such a manner.

no he is a hypocrite because he does one thing while saying another as the many examples in this thread show.

If he was an atheist he would still be a hypocrite.

Except this philosophy forces you to worship a deity.

You're not forced to worship anything you don't want to...

We worship a loving, just God while others worship money, women, cars, etc., i.e. mere things that can never fill that void in their hearts.

Not to call you out, Brother, but attending Service won't make you religious...

Scripture tells us that Jesus attended Temple every Sabbath day...

So, why shouldn't we attend Service on a regular basis?

Again, not calling you out, but you should be familiar with Proverbs 27:17 (Iron Sharpen Iron). I love when Joe Rogan uses that phrase, by the way, even though I know he's not a man of Faith..at least not vocal about it, anyway.

Brother I don't think you truly read my post, I said specifically that I'm not religious but raised in the church and that I'm more spiritual than religious now.

Yes but the two papers don't precieve the factual assertions differently like the example i presented. Genesis one and two are completely different and contradictory explanasions of creation. On top of that wouldn't you expect that writings actually inspired by an all knowing diety might have some amount of cohesion? Your arguement is a fallacy. Try again though

So, because YOU don't understand G1 and G2, and how they compliment one another, no one else is able to? Great logic.

Besides, this "argument" has been ran into the ground for CENTURIES, and yet The Word is still spreading! Believe That!

Brother I don't think you truly read my post, I said specifically that I'm not religious but raised in the church and that I'm more spiritual than religious now.

That makes two of us!

I'm not a fan of being called "religious"...when I think religion, I think saying the same stuff over and over, praying at specific times of the day, etc.

Of course, to anyone on the outside looking in...we're all "religious nuts". LOL!

You're not forced to worship anything you don't want to...

We worship a loving, just God while others worship money, women, cars, etc., i.e. mere things that can never fill that void in their hearts.

Why can't you admit that you don't know if god exists and just be a good person without becoming attached to those other things.

It seems like a win win unless you're worried about where you go after you die.

He no hespek Christianity. Is normal.

Why can't you admit that you don't know if god exists and just be a good person without becoming attached to those other things.

It seems like a win win unless you're worried about where you go after you die.

If He doesn't exist, y'all got a ton of explaining to do...

Why would over 40 authors, on 3 different continents, be Inspired to write about 1 God.

Why do some go to their death bed with a needle stuck in their arm, while others drop their addictions cold turkey...

Why, 2000+ years later, there is a Christian Church in nearly every town in the U.S.

As Ricky Ricardo would say...Lucy, essplain!

Back