Jones is not a hypocrite.

Macalpinerules

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For the past several weeks there have been many revelations made about Jon Jones' private life. From using Coke to sleeping around on his wife, Jones' public image has taken a beating over the past three or so weeks. I'm not interested in discussing the morality of what Jones has done. I'm more interested in explaining why none of this makes Jones a hypocrite.

You see, there are many people out there who are labeling Jones a hypocrite. They say that Jones tries to portray himself as a Christ loving man of God from the Christian tradition yet, they say, he's done somethings that don't seem to vibe with that image.

Well I think this view is wrong. Jon Jones is certainly a Christian and he certainly uses drugs and has extramarital affairs but he is not a hypocrite.

Jon Jones has chosen to involve himself in a philosophy called Christianity. Christianity makes all sorts of recommendations about how people should live their lives and what the moral code for humans should be. But with Christianity's longevity and storied past comes the fact that it is simply a philosophy (one of millions). No reasonable person expects an adherent of a philosophy to follow that philosophy from top to bottom, day and night. To say that Jon Jones has failed to live up to his philosophy in a strict way is to say that he has done what every living human would do in his position.

Jon Jones is not a hypocrite. He is an imperfect practitioner of his chosen philosophy. In other words, he's just like every other practitioner of any philosophy.

What this stuff about Jones sleeping around on his wife?

Why don't you give an example of a hypocrite then. Be sure to carefully explain why it is hypocrisy and not being an "imperfect practitioner of his chosen philosophy". lol

The strongest case for jones not being a hypocrite is to deny there are hypocrites. Telling.

Jones is a hypocrite for preaching that people should be and live a certain way, then not being or living that way himself. He turned in classmates for marijuana, but uses cocaine himself? What a hypocrite.

Sure and bears don't shit in the woods, come on mannnnnn.....

For the past several weeks there have been many revelations made about Jon Jones' private life. From using Coke to sleeping around on his wife, Jones' public image has taken a beating over the past three or so weeks. I'm not interested in discussing the morality of what Jones has done. I'm more interested in explaining why none of this makes Jones a hypocrite.

You see, there are many people out there who are labeling Jones a hypocrite. They say that Jones tries to portray himself as a Christ loving man of God from the Christian tradition yet, they say, he's done somethings that don't seem to vibe with that image.

Well I think this view is wrong. Jon Jones is certainly a Christian and he certainly uses drugs and has extramarital affairs but he is not a hypocrite.

Jon Jones has chosen to involve himself in a philosophy called Christianity. Christianity makes all sorts of recommendations about how people should live their lives and what the moral code for humans should be. But with Christianity's longevity and storied past comes the fact that it is simply a philosophy (one of millions). No reasonable person expects an adherent of a philosophy to follow that philosophy from top to bottom, day and night. To say that Jon Jones has failed to live up to his philosophy in a strict way is to say that he has done what every living human would do in his position.

Jon Jones is not a hypocrite. He is an imperfect practitioner of his chosen philosophy. In other words, he's just like every other practitioner of any philosophy.

No, he is a hypocrite.

As a matter of fact, every time I attend Service, I'm surrounded by hypocrites, liars, cheaters, adulterers, liars, gang members, druggies, etc.

Guess what I saw in the mirror this morning? A hypocrite.

You clearly have "amassed" your "knowledge" of Christianity via snippets on Google, Wikipedia, etc.

Personally, I find it pretty crappy that a dude with Philippians 4:13 tatted across his chest has carried himself the way he has...the dude can be a heck of an ambassador for The Faith, but since he's merely a man, he's succumbed to the bull crap of this world/society. Clearly, he is a weak Christian.

This may very well be a wake up call for him, just as I and many others I know have had wake up calls.

If you truly wish to discuss this matter with one who considers himself a serious student of Christ's teachings, feel free to give me a holler or find some legit websites that will give you good information.

Otherwise, you're simply throwing out this blanket statement that unfortunately many on here will run with.

God Bless you, Brother!

His wife isn't much to write home about. I would probably cheat on her as much as I could if I were Jones.

For the most part I agree.

I'd imagine there's not a Christian alive who even knows every tenet of Christianity, let alone follows every one perfectly in their lives. Hell, the scripture itself is full of glaring contradictions; being a perfect Christian is impossible.

Jones is only a hypocrite if he's publicly shaming people for things he's specifically done. There's really nothing hypocritical about being Christian and not living a perfectly moral life.

If Jones finds these other women using Christian Mingle™ is it really against God's law?

I mean, it states right on the website "Find God's match for you"

It's clearly God's will.

Jones bragged about how he used to turn in drug dealers and that drugs weren't his thing, he called himself a "good guy" who was raised to always be on the "good side." This was after he knew he did recreational drugs in college. Of course he's a hypocrite, open and shut case. He's a great fighter, hopefully, he doesn't end up screwing up his life, and I don't think there is anything wrong with recreational drug use either, but you can't argue he's not a hypocrite. He's the very definition of one.

For the most part I agree.

I'd imagine there's not a Christian alive who even knows every tenet of Christianity, let alone follows every one perfectly in their lives. Hell, the scripture itself is full of glaring contradictions; being a perfect Christian is impossible.

Jones is only a hypocrite if he has specifically done things that he's been publicly lauding. There's really nothing hypocritical about being Christian and not living a perfectly moral life.

"Glaring contradictions" occur when folks don't bother to reach out and get clarification from those who've studied Scripture for ages. Research those "glaring contradictions" for more than 5 minutes and I promise you'll be able to see clearly...it's happened to more times than I can count!

Also, it's silly for people to think there is a "perfect Christian" roaming this Earth...there isn't...if there was, we'd be worshiping him/her and not Yeshua.

Jon Jones has chosen to be somewhat vocal about his Christianity.

Just for a comparison, Ben Henderson has also chosen to be vocal about his Christianity.

Only one of them is a drunk driving, drug abusing, multiple baby mama having, arrogant s.o.b..

Do you see the difference? You do, right?

If you're a human, you're a hypocrite

Jones bragged about how he used to turn in drug dealers and that drugs weren't his thing

I don't think telling on some kids in high school for smoking pot behind the trash bins is really the same as turning in drug dealers, but okay.

Stretch%20Armstrong%20image%20(2).jpg

it is what turned me off of religion to begin with.

There is such a large number of incredibly hypocritical people within religion preaching one thing while doing another.

If a guy wants to do drugs, banging prostitutes, screw around on his SO, that is his life and I wont spend any time judging him on it. But when he comes out holier than thou, and being fake by lecturing others about how he is better than that...that is when I have an issue and the hypocrisy stinks the place up.

Sorry but Jon is a massive hypocrite.

His wife isn't much to write home about. I would probably cheat on her as much as I could if I were Jones.
I believe people got dubs for making fun of "pre-fame gfs/wives" in some thread mentioning Jones, JDS and Shad etc. Tread carefully.

Back