Jones is far better than Floyd Mayweather from a legacy standpoint....

Jones at least fights the best and doesn't back down. Floyd is great but if the Pacman fight doesn't happen he will be seen as a tied first place with Pacquiao

So Mayweather is tied for first place with a fighter that lost twice during his prime, one being a brutal KO loss to a guy that Mayweather dominated so badly that even after Marquez KO'd Manny, absolutely nobody wanted to see that rematch.

If Jon is still champ in 10 years I'd say they're on the same level

Jones could reign for 20 more years and he still wouldn't come close to sniffing Mayweathers jock.

I agree, my point was that it eill never happen. Mayweather is a once in a lifetime fighter and his skills are on a whole other level. Imo Floyd was close to losing twice, first Castillo fight and the De La Hoya fight was kinda close, other than those he's been absolutely untouchable in all of his fights and barely taken any damage at all. Compare that to Jones who's getting beat up pretty badly in his recent fights. Still no doubt that Jones is p4p 1 though.

I think the trouble with an mma fighter being in the same class as Mayweather, is the number of fights. Mayweather has fought 47 times, winning every time. How many fights does Jones have? This is why its so hard to compare across sports. Karelin is probably the most dominant athlete ever in any individual sport, but how many people know of him compared to Mayweather?

But that's because of his fight with Oscar, and his management team (Al Haymon) is top notch. You can't pick and choose in the UFC.

You do relies that Floyd has beat more top P4P boxers and top ranked boxers from different divisions then Jones right?

Look at his last few opponents

Maidana (9th WW. His lowest in years)
Canelo (#1 LMW top 10 P4P. 20LB bigger then Floyd)
Guerrero (#3 WW)
Cotto (at the time #1 LMW and top 10 P4P. Floyd moved up in weight)
Ortiz (#2 WW in the world)
Shane Mosley (#2 WW in the world and #3 P4P. Coming off one of his biggest wins ever)
JMM (#2 P4P fighter in the world #1 JWW)

How the fuck is that picking and choosing? Besides Manny (who is just as at fault as Floyd for not making the fight) Floyd has always beat the top ranked WWs and even the top ranked fighters at higher weight classes despite not cutting any weight to make WW. Don't talk about something you clearly know nothing about

I agree, my point was that it eill never happen. Mayweather is a once in a lifetime fighter and his skills are on a whole other level. Imo Floyd was close to losing twice, first Castillo fight and the De La Hoya fight was kinda close, other than those he's been absolutely untouchable in all of his fights and barely taken any damage at all. Compare that to Jones who's getting beat up pretty badly in his recent fights. Still no doubt that Jones is p4p 1 though.

Gotcha, agreed.

Jones is definitely P4P 1 right now. All time, I have Andy and GSP slightly ahead, but that won't last long. Jones is going to smash their defence records.

Boxing is all about fighting the right opponent at the right time under the right circumstances and the right terms including the size of your opponent's gloves and the color of his underwear. The records are as legit as pro wrestling records.

another tuf/fox fan who doesn't follow boxing

Come on thats a mad thing to say haha, Floyd is the best of this era i wish he would of fought Canelo at 154 though. If he fights Pac in may i can see a 9-3 or 8-4 in Floyds favour.

Well he did fight him at 152LB though only 2 LB lower then Canelo's best weight. Its not like when Pac fought Oscar or Cotto and fought them well below their best weight

What Mayweather does is more impressive because of how long the sport has been around, and his talent is one if not the best. But that's where it stops, there's a reason why after what he's done he's still not close to being labeled the GOAT, not even top 5 in boxing.

Boxing is all about fighting the right opponent at the right time under the right circumstances and the right terms including the size of your opponent's gloves and the color of his underwear. The records are as legit as pro wrestling records.

And if you look at Floyds opponents, he fought most of them when they were coming off a big win and at a weightclass they flt comfortable at (unlike Manny)

And if you look at Floyds opponents, he fought most of them when they were coming off a big win and at a weightclass they flt comfortable at (unlike Manny)

Bradley lost to Marquez?

But Floyd makes 30+ million a fight on purse alone. Fuck a legacy.

Which completely mind boggles me as he can pick and choose who his management thinks he will beat. He straight dodged Pacquiao when the time was right. Yet people buy his ppv's up. Jones gets told who he is fighting, he has fought the best the UFC has to offer in his division and he has destroyed everyone they put in front of him, except for Gus. It blows my mind that there is still that much money to be made in boxing. The sport became boring to me once I started watching Royce Gracie choke guys unconcious who looked straight out of cell block D and twice his size.

Complete myth, neither guy is ducking each other. Bob Arum is the only reason this fight hasn't happened

no, roach said pretty clearly that they fucked up when they tried it for the first time

Bradley lost to Marquez?

Manny doesn't always do it, but...

he fought Mosley after he got dominated by Floyd and looked terrible vs Mora (Floyd fought Mosley after one of his biggest wins ever)

He fought Margarito after he got caught cheating and had been destroyed by Mosley

He fought Cotto (10LB lower then Cottos best weight) after a lackluster performance vs Clottey (Mayweather fought him after he won the LMW belt and at 154LB, Cottos best weight)

He fought Hatton after Floyd KOd him. His trainer even said Hatton was not the fighter he was before losing to Floyd

He fought Oscar (below Oscar's best weight) after he lost to Floyd

For all the shit Floyd takes, Manny is much worse for picking and choosing when to fight his opponents and he is often trying to fight his opponents at a weight they feel drained

Which completely mind boggles me as he can pick and choose who his management thinks he will beat. He straight dodged Pacquiao when the time was right. Yet people buy his ppv's up. Jones gets told who he is fighting, he has fought the best the UFC has to offer in his division and he has destroyed everyone they put in front of him, except for Gus. It blows my mind that there is still that much money to be made in boxing. The sport became boring to me once I started watching Royce Gracie choke guys unconcious who looked straight out of cell block D and twice his size.

Besides Manny (which was clearly BOTH their faults if not more Manny's) name when he didn't fight the best realistic opponent available. And don't say fucking Margarito. The guy fought fucking Canelo at LMW and people still say he takes easy fights

Besides Manny (which was clearly BOTH their faults if not more Manny's) name when he didn't fight the best realistic opponent available. And don't say fucking Margarito. The guy fought fucking Canelo at LMW and people still say he takes easy fights

You could maybe argue Cotto right after Floyd beat Hatton and then retired for awhile. Of course, he then went on to clearly beat Cotto later so it's not really an egregious duck, by any means. You've got to love when the heavies comes out to discuss boxing, though.

Wait how is this thread even alive? How can you compare Jones to Mayweather? And to say far better than?
QtyXlpX.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Username Required LMAO
Back