Jones how good is he really

Winklejon should tape his damn lead hand closed in training, all those face paws he does could be solid jabs.
Yeah, or more than that, he should just only be using it to push on people's foreheads/chests/shoulders while pivoting out, etc.

Too bad he doesn't really pivot or cut angles though.

But, extending open hands to cover the opponent's own is totally viable, just ask George Foreman (I like to call him "The Mummy") or Robbie Lawler, but doing so with your own lead hand is not because it takes away your fastest counters whereas doing the same thing but with your REAR hand allows you to nullify the opponent's lead hand while preserving your own, faster lead hand.

This is important because if you are stepping in behind left hooks/uppercuts or jabs, the most likely counters are his own jab and left hook so by covering or slapping aside that hand, you pretty much create the opportunity to land a free punch or two.

However, Jones typically doesn't even go so far as to use his probing to set-up strikes: he just sticks his hand out there in the hope that his opponent will be stupid enough to run in on him whenever he retreats. Not that he can't learn new tricks, because he definitely can, but it's really frustrating to watch because maybe he's not a dirty fighter, but he ABSOLUTELY knows what he is doing when he sticks his fingers right out there.

The only fight where it may have mattered is Gus. Because it was super close and maybe an eyepoke-less sequence could have resulted in something edging towards Gus's points.

Yeah, or more than that, he should just only be using it to push on people's foreheads/chests while pivoting out, etc.

Too bad he doesn't really pivot or cut angles though.

But, extending open hands to cover the opponent's own is totally viable, just ask George Foreman (I like to call him "The Mummy") or Robbie Lawler, but doing so with your own lead hand is not because it takes away your fastest counters whereas doing the same thing but with your REAR hand allows you to nullify the opponent's lead hand while preserving your own, faster lead hand. However, Jones typically doesn't even go so far as to use his probing to set-up strikes: he just sticks his hand out there in the hope that his opponent will be stupid enough to run in on him.

I guess we'll see in the next few fights if he patches up the holes in his striking game, he can get away with a lot since he's a very strong wrestler with an uncanny wingspan.

he didn't use those tactics when he toyed with Bader, Wladdy, Hamill, Vera, Sonnen and Bonnar. he's damn good, just with questionable coaching for his progression. where the hell is a jab for a 6'4 guy with a 84 inch reach, Wink?

I hope this thread isn't serious

Go back and watch how he beat Machida, Shogun, Rampage, Hamill, Bonnar, Sonnen, and Evans and tell me how those guys loss because of eyepokes.

Sherdog is full of some ridiculously stupid people, it's unbelievable.

I guess we'll see in the next few fights if he patches up the holes in his striking game, he can get away with a lot since he's a very strong wrestler with an uncanny wingspan.
Yep, but I have no doubt that he will continue to progress and improve. After all, he is already light-years ahead of where he was on the feet when he beat Shogun into the ground.

I honestly think he is the best active fighter. I dislike the eye poke threat, but his skills are undeniable.

he's damn good, just with questionable coaching for his progression. where the hell is a jab for a 6'4 guy with a 84 inch reach, Wink?
That's what I'm sayin man it's like WTF make the dude watch some Vitali Klitschko footage already.

So some of you are telling me jones isn't getting an unfair advantage by sticking fingers in his opponents eyes? Yea it's all just my imagination. They should just be able to fight through it.

So some of you are telling me jones isn't getting an unfair advantage by sticking fingers in his opponents eyes? Yea it's all just my imagination. They should just be able to fight through it.
newsflash: NONE OF THOSE ARE EYEPOKES, except for the Teixeira .gif which actually is flagrant.

And if you're just gonna post pictures of his fingers in the proximity of someone's cheeks/forehead as a response then don't even fucking bother.

About 90% of the times that Jones extended his lead hand against Gus, he would simply weave his head to the outside of it.

Let's say Jones doesn't partake of the eyepokes in all of his fights and he has to strictly rely on his skills. I think he's not champion without being able to extend his fingers into eye sockets.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jones is very talented but his reliance on illegal tactics changes the way his opponents fight.

Anybody else feel Jones is overrated if he has to fight fair?

Haha, GTFO. Haters are pathetic. I can poke eyes too, which means I can be an mma champion too right? Grab a tissue and cry it out kid.

many are saying he's a highly skilled fighter who fights dirty, and who was amazing before Winkeljohn shared his "bag of tricks" with him.

Fuck knee teeps & eye pokes. I wonder how scummy those training camps are "yea, Johny, kick that knee back one more time. scratch his eyes when he's coming forward. you'll never lose if you listen".

Making excuses for somebody else's success is one of the most pathetic things a person can do.

i can only speak for myself, but for me its more about me then jones, in the sense that his eyepokes ruin the event for me as a spectator.

because there is so much free ufc and mma to be seen these days, i buy alot fewer cards than i used to, and i go by main events as to what i will buy. i dont usually buy jones cards. the only reason it could matter if i buy cards or not is that the ufc wants money, and i did read on here that jones ppv's numbers are only meh.

many are saying he's a highly skilled fighter who fights dirty, and who was amazing before Winkeljohn shared his "bag of tricks" with him.

Fuck knee teeps & eye pokes. I wonder how scummy those training camps are "yea, Johny, kick that knee back one more time. scratch his eyes when he's coming forward. you'll never lose if you listen".

Exactly! I'm not saying Jones doesn't have talent and skill but he's a dirty fighter. If he's so damn skillful then why use dirty tactics to win? And people saying it's legal to extend fingers into an opponents face are correct but the reason it's effective is because they don't want to get poked in the eye so they stay at a distance and let Jones pick them apart.

Jones needs to fight fair and prove he's the best. Until then, he's just another Cryborg that needs to have unfair advantages in order to win.

Back