Jones head trainer: 'Jones not scared of Gustafsson'

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by pcbh, Jun 5, 2014.

1. pcbh

pcbh Banned Banned

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/313045.html

Jackson, Jones' longtime head trainer, is fairly certain, however, that "being scared" isn't one of them.

"Everybody is looking for a ***** in his armor and they are desperate for it," Jackson told ESPN. "They are desperate, like, 'Please let us find something wrong with the guy.'

"I've never heard him say, 'I'll never fight Gustafsson again. I'm scared.' I've never seen that from him at all. I don't really think courage is a problem for Jon Jones. He goes up against the best guys in the division."

As for Jones' reasoning for wanting Cormier (15-0), Jackson speculated it might have something to do with elevating his legacy. Cormier represents a new challenge.

Jones, 26, often talks about leaving a mark in the sport.

"It might be a career move," Jackson said. "He already beat Gustafsson. Maybe he's looking for a challenge and doesn't feel that Gustafsson is the challenge everybody else thinks he is. I honestly don't know, but it could be that Cormier would escalate his greatness more than someone he has already beaten."

"That's kind of how a fan would think about the sport," Jackson said. "I'm a fan, too, but I don't have that luxury. If I'm in a camp for [Glover] Teixeira and I'm talking about Gustafsson, that doesn't make any sense. I don't say that, 'This fight is inevitable,' because I don't know. I have no idea. There are things I thought for sure would happen that didn't come to pass and the other way around.

"If we fight Cormier, he's super tough. Gustafsson is super tough. Wherever the coin lands on that, it doesn't really matter to me."

2. wlu29

wlu29 Banned Banned

jones > alex

3. Megatronlee

Megatronlee Red Belt

This just in: jones mother loves him

4. Jack Reacheround

Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

Oh, good. I totally thought Jones's trainer was going to tell us that he was afraid of Gustafsson.

5. Grimm911

Grimm911 Shazbot!

Well considering that fight could have gone either way, jones opinion on who he thinks is a challenge should not matter. The UFC wants him to fight Gus, a lot of fans want to see it and it is going to make $$$. If he beats Gus again then people will (hopefully) shut up about it.

If he would have just said "I'll fight gus, or whoever for that matter because I am the champ" this would have all been avoided... but that seems to be too hard for jones to do after literally saying he would fight Gus after Glover.
    Also of course his trainer will say that... he is not going to come out and say he thinks Jones is scared.

6. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

seems pretty obvious. somewhat strange that someone would even ask him that.

7. Hatz

Hatz Blue Belt

Didnt GSP do this same shit with Diaz and Hendricks. Hendricks being the more deserving opponent but GSP picking Diaz. I dont remember nearly the uproar about it...

8. KantoTerror

KantoTerror Silver Belt

Plain and simple. The GOAT champ wants to face a new challenger. Fear has nothing to do with it. Only the haters obviously gon hate. Champ preserves the right to fight who he thinks is worthy of the shot. He beat Gus, so after 1 win, you put Gus in front of him again? Bring DC on since he was running his mouth about Jon not wanting to fight him.

9. Megatronlee

Megatronlee Red Belt

Because diaz was confused exactly where GSP was located after he beat BJ penn

10. infamouz ice

infamouz ice Brown Belt

me too that's the first thing I was thinking...jones doesn't think gus is a challenge? someone queue in the pic of jones walking like he got booty ripped

11. Rampage_Jackson

Rampage_Jackson Black Belt

Do you think he is?

12. aModerateThreat

aModerateThreat Brown Belt

i think this is all a greg jackson master plan. i dont understand it but i do think greg is the one telling jones to say he wants dc.

13. samoajoe

samoajoe Brown Belt

If Jones thinks beating DC will do more for his legacy then beating Gus again he is wrong, Gus beat the Hell out of him in the 1st fight.

At best Jones won that fight 3-2 which is how I scored it but it was a super close fight.

14. Jblizzle

Jblizzle Red Belt

[​IMG]

I seriously think that Jones is having fun trolling everybody

15. Post Crisis

Post Crisis Professional Shit-poster

Shit journalism.

16. Jaden Korr**

Jaden Korr** Yellow Belt

I think it's crazy people believe Jones is scared of someone he already beat. He wants DC because that's a bigger money fight and he has DC prmoting it, who is VERY good at promotions. If you have a choice of fighting a guy you already beat for less mone or fighting a guy who you haven't fought for more, it's an obvious choice.

17. surgeyou1

surgeyou1 Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux

Breaking news: Jones' daughters proclaim that Jones is "the best daddy ever"

18. DarthChen731

DarthChen731 Gold Belt

Lol "***** in his armor" gets censored

19. DarthChen731

DarthChen731 Gold Belt

There was a pretty big uproar, but Jones' recent trolling has so many people butthurt that anything he does will be the biggest atrocity that the world has ever seen no matter what.

20. BLAGA DARU**

BLAGA DARU** Blue Belt

If the moderators actually did their jobs and banned posters who incessantly partake in fighter bashing (Jones in particular) then these forums would be empty.