Jones: Hated or Merely Unloved?

whimsical1

White Belt
Reaction score
I see all these people saying that Jones is hated more than other dominant champs ever were and, in most instances, attributing this to the fact that he's black.

But I don't think he's hated more than other dominant champs were: GSP, Anderson, Fedor ... they all had many, many haters. Dominant champs will always get a large amount of hate.

I think the difference is this: Jones has far fewer actual fans. Unlike GSP, Anderson, and Fedor, he doesn't have legions of fans to counteract the many haters. He has his share of nuthuggers, but nothing like other dominant champs had.

Thus, the true difference is that Jones is not more hated, but merely less loved by the fans. And that, I think, is a function of his dirty fighting style and off-putting personality.

I'm slowly, slowly starting to like Jones more and DC less. I just think Jones has been exuding a more honest confidence in the last week or so and DC has brought up a lot of Jones personal life in an attempt to play the fans against Jon.

I think DC should shut up about Jon, show him some respect, let the fans have the dignity of making up their own minds. If Jones wins he's arguably the P4P best fighter of all time and I can't think of any other LHW to challenge him.

The criticism if he wins will sound like this: He should have come up to HW instead of forcing DC to come down.

You may even hear this from me because if DC loses I think it's a legitimate, or rather decent argument about the potential performance loss that comes with DC's cut.

Jones needs to tighten it up, he needs to lose some of his holier than thou Christian attitude, stop his homophobic shit and just try his hardest to be himself and not be worried about being liked or presenting himself as a media caricature. He's not as intelligent as Sonnen, he's not as enjoyable as Rampage, so he truly needs to find his own balance....

But if Jones really, really wants fans? Go to HW.

No he is hated more for his personality.. liked more for his fighting style i guess...

This may be good way too look at it.

Jones does many unlikeable tings, but I sure don't 'hate' him, to hate someone you don't fucking know.... Well that would require some more serious offenses from him.

I just tend to run against him, because I like both the underdog and most of the fighters who challenged him. A lot.

I cheered for him against Rashad and Chael though, for example.

I disagree, I think he has MORE haters than GSP, Anderson, Fedor... And it seems his haters hate him more. I mean, what are you gonna hate GSP for, being boring and .. that's it? With Jones, it's like a top 40 chart. Pick anything about the guy, it most likely stinks. His skill is the only exception.

I disagree, I think he has MORE haters than GSP, Anderson, Fedor... And it seems his haters hate him more. I mean, what are you gonna hate GSP for, being boring and .. that's it? With Jones, it's like a top 40 chart. Pick anything about the guy, it most likely stinks. His skill is the only exception.

It's an interesting point. GSP was hated for his fighting ability, praised for his humility and attitude.

Jones is hated for his attitude and lack of humility, but praised for his fighting ability.

It goes to show that casual and hardcore fans alike can only stomach so much bullshit before it starts to rot away at the core of what they are enjoying to begin with. A lot of people would criticize his haters and I've even heard them called schoolgirls because they dislike a fighter out of the cage.

My response to all those clowns would be: Welcome to 2015 you fucking morons. Every fighter and his Mom is dying for more twitter, instagram, facebook and youtube followers. They go OUT of their way to involve us in their lives and it's not like we're rummaging through garbage bins in the middle of the night looking for dirt on them. When Jones goes out of his way to verbally and emotionally assault a young gay kid online I think people are natural and reacting in an ordinary fashion when they show repulsion. It's not being an immature girl to consider those types of smears as morally reprehensive and wrong.

Joe Rogan thinks people don't like Jones because he is black .

I think you make a good point. I guess he probably is more hated, and that hate probably runs deeper. What strikes me most, though, is the lack of love people have for him. Anywhere he goes the boos drown out the cheers. That was never the case with GSP or Anderson. There were plenty of people who disliked them, but there were always so many more who LOVED them that the boos were drowned out.

I think this dynamic is a clear indication that Jones has earned his position as a heel through his actions and it isn't just some irrational hatred based on nothing more than, say, jealousy or racial animus as so many imply.

I don't hate the guy, simply got no love for Jones.

As a die-hard Knicks fan I can genuinely say in the 90's I HATED Michael Jordan. My dislike for Jones is nowhere near my Disdain for a jordan back then. But now 20 something years after the dust has settled, I cherish witnessing Jordan's brilliant dominance over my beloved New York Knicks.

I think you're on to something there TS, or like other members said, Jones is following the footsteps of Mayweather he wants to be hated it's a marketing tool. Hate me because you're jealous of me, just keep my name relevant in your lips like "Money".

And his skill is still up in the air! The people he fought looked like craaaap. The all fought like crap and looked like crap. If half could rematch they would do way better. People that scream racism are idiots! One of the most liked fighters to this day is Rampage Jackson. The people who scream racism are racist Jon Jones fans! That's about it. Jon Jones acts like he's perfect but then has this split personality thing going on where he likes to be the opposite when the cameras arent on.

TS taking this way too seriously.

People have issues and they're always looking for an outlet for that negative energy.

Jon Jones is more hated than anything. People that scream racism probably make people hate him even more. That's just a wild guess.

Name me any other sport where fans give more of a fuck about what the athletes do, say or act like outside of the sport than MMA. I wonder if golf forums endlessly debate the popularity of Tiger Woods.

Back