Jones has too many asterisks in his career to be considered as GOAT

Obsession with undefeated records is hysterical.

Jose Aldo is the GOAT, he stayed and fought hardest competition ever and beat three generations of talent in the sickest division ever.

Also, none of GOAT candidates is as skilled as Aldo and if they fought him in hypothetical matchups, he'd fuck them all up badly.

agree with first part ^

Hypothetical ‘P4P’ same size match ups?

All the goat candidates have either questionable wins or actual losses. Thats just what happens when you fight so many top level opponents in a row.

Not sure if trolling about the Resume....

That was one of the three criteria & it also comes at the last. Apart from Fedor, GSP, to some extent MM & Nunes ( WMMA), none of the others have any claims to be greatest of all time.

My pick is Fedor cause he did it in heavyweight. But I can accept the arguments presented in favour of GSP & may be even Mighty Mouse.

Fedor had an impressive run at HW. But his run was 10 years, from age 23 to 33 (then he lost 3 in a row in strike force). Jones run is already longer it started at 19 and he remains undefeated at 32. Majority of Fedors career was crushing cans between a few big fights. Whens the last time Jones fought a can? And of course he never tested hot because there was no testing back then.

Jones and Fedor have a fight with Bader in common.. Fedor got KO'd... Jones destoyed him.

GSP lost to a midget.

I dislike Jones immensely but he's pretty GOATie in his GOATness. Probably because of his GOATabiltiy.

These "Who's the GOAT" debates are even lamer than the P4P rankings.

In my opinion Khabib is starting to pull away with it.

yeah, people with high IQ dont actually have him in GOAT convos. Hes good but not that good

still the best LHW weve seen tho (if we are allowing roiders)

everyone has those fights:

fedor vs maldonado
khabib vs tibau
tony vs michael johnson
reyes vs volkan
nunes vs valentina 2
jones vs reyes
brunson vs silva
silva vs bisping
holm vs GDR
askren vs lawler
MM vs Cejudo 2

alot of these fights could have gone either way depending on the judges and refs.

Since you have all these criteria who is your GOAT ??
they don't have it 3 times mostly ...

No baseball fans refer to Barry Bonds as the GOAT of baseball and it should be the same way for Jones.

It still works, it's just a typography issue. Here is a template:

All time P4P rankings

1. Jon Jones* ** ***
2. insert your fighter 1 (not Fedor)
3. insert your fighter 2 (not Fedor)
4. insert your fighter 3 (not Fedor)
5. maybe Fedor, if you really insist

* insert your issue number 1
** insert your issue number 2
*** insert your issue number 3

I'm far from a Jones apologist but virtually everyone considered the goat has an asterisk next to their name. The GOAT is all subjective at this point, if Jones had a clean career and moved up to HW to capture a title or even a few wins, I don't think you could put anyone else above him but there are things he has not accomplished that other fighters have and innocent or not, we will never know the full extent of his PED use.

Jones resume is actually extremely good; the combined wins and losses of the opponents he beat make for a ratio which comes very close to that of Georges St-Pierre.
Jones has not been finished either.
However, light heavyweight has not nearly the talentpool that welterweight has (especially since welterweights were smaller back then).
If you consider though that Jones has popped multiple times for PEDs, then it taints his legacy pretty bad, which is why i don't have him in my GOAT-list.
The same goes for Anderson Silva, although he did at least fight in an era where PED-use was most likely more rampant and he was no physical freak either, although he was quite athletic for a guy his age (32-38 years).

In my opinion the greatest fighters of all time are therefore Georges St-Pierre, Demetrious Johnson, Jose Aldo and Fedor Emelianenko. Possibly Daniel Cormier as well.

Even without factoring in his multiple PED test failures, it's tough to get past the fact LHW is inherently a significantly shallower talent pool than WW or FW

In fact 205 was so shallow that within a couple of years of becoming champ they had to feed him consecutive challengers from 185 in short-notice Vitor and off-a-loss Chael

And that was after already feeding him a short-notice Lyoto who hadn't beaten a relevant opponent in the previous 2 years

GSP and Aldo's divisions were so much deeper it wasn't funny

When Aldo defended against someone from another weight class it was Frankie Fucking Edgar, who should at the time have been the champion of 155 - the deepest division in the game - if he hadn't been robbed in his rematch against Bendo

Meanwhile GSP went up and choked out the MW champ who had KTFO Luke Rockhold for the belt

again. Jones cannot be considered goat with his steroid use. Its fair to assume he's been on steroids his whole career. He had the test levels of a 90 years old man and scraped by dc. then arguably lost to gus while roided. Hes not goat. just a cheater working the system

Back