1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Jones has too many asterisks in his career to be considered as GOAT

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Lord Ashley Barnes, Feb 10, 2020.

1. FedorGOAT Ultimate Fedorist Platinum Member

And I only want to talk about his action inside the cage & related to it without bringing anything that happened in his personal life.

1. His dope violation. In contact sports, where it matters most, it almost delegitimize his entire career.
    2. His questionable Resume: Apart from DC or may be Gus you can't argue that his resume is really strong. No doubt its name heavy but those names were at the end of their career or out of their prime.
    3. 3 questionable wins : His wins against Gus 1, Santos & Reyes are really questionable & can argued that he lost all of them. And that is too much for someone to be called GOAT.

These should be too much for anyone without any bias to consider him as GOAT.

2. Blanqa Blanqua Sherdog God Belt Double Yellow Card

So we are left with Fedor and Silva. The GOATS!!!

<Fedor23><{silvanormal}>

3. loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

Who's GOAT then? GSP? Is 2 losses and a questionable win better than 3 questionable wins?

4. Intellidamus Title Belt

Performance Enhancing Drugs don’t help. They only enhance your performance. Therefore they only help you perform in a fight.
    How these trolls try to skirt around this is mind boggling.

5. Intellidamus Title Belt

And a career tainted by PED usage?

6. FedorGOAT Ultimate Fedorist Platinum Member

Fedor or GSP. They both have arguments that goes in their favour.

Fedor having a decade long dominance in a division where a simple glance can put your lights out. GSP for his absolute domination, playing by the books, his consistency & his relative clean career.

Neither Silva nor Jones makes the cut.

7. poor form Banned Banned

There’s a sticky poll at the top of page 1. I assume you’ve all voted??? Give it up already. The pro peds people are never changing their minds. Neither are anti peds people.

Such a stupid argument to continue day after day.

Jones is never catching Fedor and GSP in the poll. Time to accept it, and move on.

8. Anialater Thousandaire.

*too many imo.

9. Uke Green Belt

Jones never moved up to HW.... Boom mic drop

10. TheHolyWarAngel Banned Banned

<Deported1>, GSP lost to Hendricks and got a gift decision, can’t be goat either...... and a suspect gut , no one is goat they are just great fighters, they can’t be compared they are all different weight classes with different opponents

11. FedorGOAT Ultimate Fedorist Platinum Member

Actually I was typing " Jones has so many asterisks that eliminates him from the conversation of GOAT", changed my mind at the middle of typing.

12. Corrado Soprano Purple Belt

Not really since Jones's continues to be regarded as the GOAT and his historical legacy continues to build.

Jones has the best resume in MMA.

Nothing really questionable about it. Look at the record books. Jones won all 3 of those fights.

A lot of opinions but no substance to this post.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  13. humdizzle Brown Belt

everyone has those fights:

fedor vs maldonado
    khabib vs tibau
    tony vs michael johnson
    reyes vs volkan
    nunes vs valentina 2
    jones vs reyes
    brunson vs silva
    silva vs bisping
    holm vs GDR
    askren vs lawler
    MM vs Cejudo 2

alot of these fights could have gone either way depending on the judges and refs.

Since you have all these criteria who is your GOAT ??

14. Drugstore Cowboy Banned Banned

Obsession with undefeated records is hysterical.

Jose Aldo is the GOAT, he stayed and fought hardest competition ever and beat three generations of talent in the sickest division ever.

Also, none of GOAT candidates is as skilled as Aldo and if they fought him in hypothetical matchups, he'd fuck them all up badly.

15. Make Sherdog Great Again TRUMP is your GOAT

Fedor has about 20 asterisks against his name.

16. FedorGOAT Ultimate Fedorist Platinum Member

That was one of the three criteria & it also comes at the last. Apart from Fedor, GSP, to some extent MM & Nunes ( WMMA), none of the others have any claims to be greatest of all time.

My pick is Fedor cause he did it in heavyweight. But I can accept the arguments presented in favour of GSP & may be even Mighty Mouse.

17. Blanqa Blanqua Sherdog God Belt Double Yellow Card

yeah but his are to indicate greatness

18. BokaBokte Brown Belt

I don't even know who considers him a goat. Guy is a bum human being, bum cheater, bum fighter and all around a one huge bum.

19. Nightwish Brown Belt

20. No Skill Gap Brown Belt Platinum Member

Questionable resume' lmao? Yikes. Your entire argument just collapsed like Maycee Barber's knee after that statement.

If Jones has a questionable resume' than Anderson Silva's resume' is a joke, Fedor's resume' is a complete joke, and GSP's resume' is also questionable...arguably more so.

For the sake of transparency of bias this would be my top 5 GOAT list:

1a. GSP
    1b. Jones
    3. Silva
    4, Aldo
    5. Fedor/DC

If you put a gun to my head I would have Jones 2nd now because I genuinely thought he lost the Reyes fight and he's almost 100% proven to be on steroids/PEDs where as GSP - imo - more arguably won the Hendricks fight according to the 10-point must system and only is suspected of PED use with no real evidence.

Regardless, Jones probably has the best resume' out of any MMA fighter to ever live. He legitimately never lost a fight - until the Reyes fight which was extremely close and he arguably won, and did get the decision ultimately. He beat Gus in a very close fight and he clearly beat Santos despite a shitty performance and closer fight than it should have been. But you can't live with recency bias my son.

Jones has literally never lost a fight and has been facing top tier UFC competition since he was in his early 20s and green. He's beat Shogun, Machida, Evans, Rampage, DC twice*, TRT Belfort, Gus twice, and all the other semi-legit to legit names in between. No one is even fucking close so it's quite remarkable you say his resume' is bad. The only thing we can logically point to is that he hasn't moved to HW, and that's not some mandatory thing to do either. GSP never moved up until way later and let's be real it was against Bisping. Silva never really moved up, Mighty Mouse didn't, Cruz didn't, Aldo went down, etc.