Jones has gone from seeming invincible to eeking out decisions

campbecc

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
once upon a time Jones won every fight easily. Now he is winning fights that could have gone to his opponent

jones has alot of miles

as a jones fan i'm debating if he should retire on top right now, or take the stipe fight and then dip. the competition is catching up.

jones has alot of miles

as a jones fan i'm debating if he should retire on top right now, or take the stipe fight and then dip. the competition is catching up.
that's my point. He is still holding on but he's slowing down.

that's my point. He is still holding on but he's slowing down.

He has a few things that make him very tough to beat- and more particularly- very tough to emphatically beat (iron chin, good command of the distance, excellent takedown defense, very good cardio, great energy management) even still, it's clear to me that Santos or Reyes had arguments for victory over him.

One thing that is tough for Jon is that he no longer seems able to take every opponent down. There was a time where he could put any opponent on the ground and, at that point, was so dangerous from the top position that he was likely to end the fight there or, at least, badly weaken his opponent.

Take that aspect out of the arsenal like in the Reyes and Santos fight and Jones fights a much closer battle.

He always has trouble with taller guys who can strike because his poor striking gets exposed a bit. He cant utilize his height and his pot shots are not as effective.

What makes Jones hard to beat is his durability, endurance, toughness and fight IQ. His striking is still mediocre, his length and IQ makes up for his striking

Jones got beat down most of the fight, definitely 1-3, and 4& 5 could've gone either way but id give 5 to Reyes...All those take down attempts by Jon & he didn't get a single one, in real wrestling Reyes gets points for the escape every time & Jon gets none...Reyes clearly won the fight, and Jones gets another gift decision...The two things that impressed me most in the fight were Jones' toughness for taking a beating & still stayed pretty strong albeit with low output, & Reyes' stamina for pounding on Jones all fight & still having enough gas left in the tank to finish just as strong as Jones did...the end

On the contrary. Jones has transcended the sport. And I mean that literally.

First he conquered the UFC. That's simply domination though, not transcendence.

Then he conquered the drug testing agency.

Not finished, now he's conquered the judges.

He can literally test positive for steroids and lose, and still win. The guy literally owns the sport. I don't know how he did it but he literally transcended the sport.

Nah, his paymasters the UFC did all that, not Jon.

He just has to not get finished.

He still has the heart and is headstrong enough to sneak wins in.

Jones is turning into a boring point fighter. He needs a rival who will get to him mentally to either bring out some of his better high risk moves or go off plan enough to lose

once upon a time Jones won every fight easily. Now he is winning fights that could have gone to his opponent
hes had 2 finishes from his last 10, how are u just finding out about this now?

Jones has a lot of miles? Not that much. He's taken the least punishment out of any fighter. Not much wear and tear on that front. Training? Sure, but has everyone that so has been in the game as long as he has.

Jones has a lot of miles? Not that much. He's taken the least punishment out of any fighter. Not much wear and tear on that front. Training? Sure, but has everyone that so has been in the game as long as he has.

Anyone who has been at the top level for as long as he has, is considered to be carrying a lot of miles

How many guys were top 10 when he kicked the shit out of bader, that are still top 10 today

On the contrary. Jones has transcended the sport. And I mean that literally.

First he conquered the UFC. That's simply domination though, not transcendence.

Then he conquered the drug testing agency.

Not finished, now he's conquered the judges.

He can literally test positive for steroids and lose, and still win. The guy literally owns the sport. I don't know how he did it but he literally transcended the sport.
lmao

He's fighting to not get KTFO'd rather than fighting to be the top of the food chain predator t-rex.

He is at a crossroads as far as fight strategy. I didn't score the Santos or Reyes fights against him but if those decisions continue then he's bound to lose one.

He still has a masterful game as far as nuance despite being less dominant than his prime. His wrestling seems to be something that he reserves, rather than threaten with full commitment now.

It could be worse. Other greats get toyed with by new rising talent after this many title fights.

Jones isn't going out there like Cruz/Garbrandt let alone getting finished like other declining champs.

LHW still has challenges for him.

He doesn't look anywhere near as confident out there as he used to. Similar to Vitor when he got off the TRT.

Back